Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

HKS H Pipe = Crap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
HKS H Pipe = Crap

Ok so my G is currently at Dynosty having a built engine installed and getting the full treatment with a tune on the 3.12 and 2.87 pulleys.... I will use the 3.12 most likely as a daily and the 2.87 only when I am feeling 'froggy'.... But anyhow, back on topic...

I have done a lot of searching while my car is there because I don't want to second guess myself after this and I want her preforming as good as possible while staying reliable... So in my searching I have found that the HKS H-pipe has had issues with obstructions. I was hoping that mine would be ok and that I would get lucky and not be effected by this..... I had Hal take off the mid section just to check it out to be on the safe side and what did he find?... Guess I was not one of the lucky ones... To see this after paying close to $1800.00 for the damn thing is a let down to say the least...

Name:  artexhaust_zps7c0c0fd1.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  106.2 KB

My obstruction looks almost identical that that of accordfreaks from this post: https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...e-picture.html So for those that said his was an obvious 'knock off' exhaust were wrong... Because mine looks almost identical to his obstruction and my exhaust is 100% authentic... I bought it brand new in 2006 and picked it up in person...

So while she is at Dynosty I went ahead and had them order this X pipe from Magnaflow and it will replace the X pipe right there...

Will be similar to this set up (not my car) that I found while searching this problem...

Should be a good fix while at the same time helping to equalize pressure in all cylinders and improving scavenging and flow... I am supercharged and not turbo so it should be a net gain without screwing with the sound too much either... I like the HKS sound, it works for me...

So in closing if you have a authentic HKS exhaust it may be beneficial if you take off that center section and shine a flashlight down there to see what you can see... As stated mine was bought new in 2006 so if you have an early version I would highly recommend you check it out.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
For the price that's extremely disconcerting... I'd be calling them

Old 08-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Nah. screw em.... I have had this since 2006 and there is no way I still have any receipts for it, or at least would not be able to find it now 6, almost 7 years later...

So I'll just get it fixed with an X pipe welded in there, the X pipe should help with scavenging more so than the H pipe anyway... Also putting new flex joints in as mine were all torn up from speed bumps while being lowered.

Originally Posted by redonblack35
For the price that's extremely disconcerting... I'd be calling them

Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Plenty of threads on this subject but thanks for the refresher.