Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Exhaust: Shop smart instead of following the crowd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
Build quality of DNA whatever exhaust and Motordyne is NOT the same. No comparison.
Lol ok

Old 05-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Buying cheap chinese replicas from Ebay is pretty much the definition of following the crowd now.

NOT following the crowd would have been buying a quality proven exhaust, like Motordyne.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Whats next? OP is NOT going to follow the crowd by getting some cheap chinese varrstoen and plastidip? Maybe he will be a trend setter and buy some cheap ebay headlights or spray paint his grill black, you know really set him apart from the masses.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by SUMBLAKDUDE
Didn't want an extremely loud exhaust
Yet..... you bought one of the loudest possible? That is like saying "I didnt want cheap material and low quality fitment, then buying a DNA replica exhaust from china"

Old 05-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Buying cheap chinese replicas from Ebay is pretty much the definition of following the crowd now. NOT following the crowd would have been buying a quality proven exhaust, like Motordyne.
No actually we just all now learned MD and DNA exhaust have the same build quality
Purchase makes complete sense now.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
No actually we just all now learned MD and DNA exhaust have the same build quality
Purchase makes complete sense now.
I guess that means HRE and Varrstoen must also be the same quality if we are using OP's "logic". Kyrlon and 3 stage OEM paint must also be same quality. I am sure Ksport and Endless are same quality as well.

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 05-27-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
I had an HKS rep back in the day. Have a TDX2 now and don't regret it one bit.

Build quality of motordyne is 10/10 on every part of his that I own. The Build quality of my HKS rep was around a 4/10.

You can decide for yourself OP, which you clearly already have, but one day you're going to get tired of that boring, monotone, droney and rusty exhaust. Then you'll say "damn maybe I should have waited and gotten a used, quality exhaust for a few hundred more..."

Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I would have thought most smart people would have fallen off the HKS bandwagon when their H pipes stick far into the pipe like this

Name:  IMG_1378.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  41.8 KB

Old 04-03-2015, 03:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend of mine is a former G owner and he got some long tube headers and went to a muffler shop and had them make a custom straight pipe for him. I know you cali guys can't really do that with all the smog/emission crap, but he said it sounded amazing and he loved it.. I never heard it, but I have considered the idea as it would be alot less money to spend.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe 6mt Brembo package
Originally Posted by SUMBLAKDUDE
So I just wanted to right a review of an exhaust I installed on my car a couple of days ago for those of you in the market for a new exhaust. As you search you will find several different types and brands of exhaust with a ride range of prices. Now as you may or may not know an exhaust is more so for aesthetics and sounds. Unless you are going F/I the amount of hp you will gain between different exhaust is 1-3 hp which to me doesn't justify spending $1500 or more for one that I can spend a fraction of that and get pretty much same performance and similar sound. The only benefit of buying a more expensive exhaust is they will have a better fitment and as such be easier to install and line up.

So with that being said I went with the DNA Motoring True dual exhaust(hks replica). I paid $250 shipped to my house for it off eBay. The package it came in was fair but inside each piece was carefully wrapped and protected. Came with all hardware and gaskets. It was well crafted with quality welds and looked great. Knowing that the fitment would not be exact I decided to take to a local shop to install instead of doing it myself which I normally would do. Cost me $200 to get it changed out so the total cost for my new exhaust was $450.

As for the exhaust itself I love the sound. As soon as I turned the ignition and heard in start up I was like wow. Even the mechanic raved about how good it sounded and when he asked how much I paid for it his mouth hit the floor. He didn't believe I paid so little for such a great sounding exhaust. It has a nice deep and low grumble with no rasp at all. There is some slight droning but IMO is moderate and very tolerable.

I will try to post some sound clips later on this week when I get a chance. I would def recommend this exhaust. Nothing against the big name brands. I've heard MD shock wave (best sounding IMO), stillen, hks, and others in person and this exhaust sounds just as good n better than some of them. I'm a business man so I'm always looking at things in a profit/loss mindset and with the 1-3 hp difference, fitment issues, it's worth going with the DNA Motoring exhaust.

You got yours yours to fit? My shop spent over three hours trying to install and it hit the sway bar, rear chassis bar, and was rubbing on the rear bumper. Was thinking of looking at it myself but may end up returning it.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Alexc6772
You got yours yours to fit? My shop spent over three hours trying to install and it hit the sway bar, rear chassis bar, and was rubbing on the rear bumper. Was thinking of looking at it myself but may end up returning it.
Wow blast from the last lol. Yea I still have same exhaust on. It was almost a perfect fit shop had to make a small bend in it on passenger side so it lined up but wasn’t anything major. Any competent exhaust shop should be able to install it with very few issues unless you got one that was completely trash from the jump which sounds like may have been the case. Shop should be able to modify it to make it work at but if not I’d send back to seller to exchange or get a refund.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Alexc6772
Yes, they must have not very much experience bending exhaust hangers.

With the Magna flow X pipe (YOU NEED THIS OR IT WILL DRONE LIKE HELL!!!) it really sounds like the OE Exhaust except louder.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
Another +1 on modifying the HKS exhaust as long as you can get one for peanuts to start with... using Totalflow mufflers (magnaflow clones) sounds just as good for 1/3 of the price per muffler. Pretty sure everyone's seen my setup at some point lol

Old 05-22-2019, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Another +1 on modifying the HKS exhaust as long as you can get one for peanuts to start with... using Totalflow mufflers (magnaflow clones) sounds just as good for 1/3 of the price per muffler. Pretty sure everyone's seen my setup at some point lol
I still have to do that. You said it removed a little more drone correct?

Old 05-22-2019, 05:45 PM
I too added the magnaflow x pipe in mine. Almost completely cut out drone. Still a little but nowhere near as much as before although drone never really bothered me. Also made exhaust more quiet. Any muffler shop would be able to cut and weld in for less than $100. (My shop charged me $70)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust: Shop smart instead of following the crowd