Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Borla for sedan. Anyone got comments?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla for sedan. Anyone got comments?

Okay, I guess I am old because I just got my Borla for my sedan installed today and its pretty loud. Okay, actually its not loud so much as loud right around 2000-3000 rpm under load such as in first or second gear. There's also loud droning in 5 gear around 2000-2500 as well. I think the droning is the worst part. I've heard that it mellows out with time. Can anyone else with a Borla on their sedan confirm my experience? I have a K&N panel filter and Z-tube installed. Would going back to the stock intake help? Oddly, I think it sounds louder than the Stillen I heard on another guy's sedan.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:08 AM
same thing on my end... glad the noise (you and I hear) at 2000-2500 is similar with borla and injen.

sounds like we both have autos and the G likes to live at 2k. I've heard the injen is louder (so it could be worse for you). either my exhaust has mellowed abit over 200 miles or my sensitivity has been reduced.

keep running the exhaust, my guess is you'll be able to live with it or may appreciate it in time.

gl

ppp

Old 02-25-2005, 03:13 PM
Crappy

You mean I'm stuck with the droning...Great. I hope it does tone down a bit. I didn't think it would be that loud.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:45 PM
you'll get used to it more and over time it will get softer.

remember we/you MUST enjoy this car... and if it involves removing the aftermarket exhaust. do what you must !

ppp

Old 02-27-2005, 01:26 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
2000-3000rpms seem to be the heavy resonance rpms on the VQ. With an automatic, the VQ spends a lot of time in that range. Under light load at 2500rpms, I'm sure the resonating can get quite annoying. I really don't think there is much you can do about it either. Maxima guys have been fighting with this issue for well over 6 years now.

Old 02-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by Vancouver_G35
Okay, I guess I am old because I just got my Borla for my sedan installed today and its pretty loud. Okay, actually its not loud so much as loud right around 2000-3000 rpm under load such as in first or second gear. There's also loud droning in 5 gear around 2000-2500 as well. I think the droning is the worst part. I've heard that it mellows out with time. Can anyone else with a Borla on their sedan confirm my experience? I have a K&N panel filter and Z-tube installed. Would going back to the stock intake help? Oddly, I think it sounds louder than the Stillen I heard on another guy's sedan.
I have the exact same set-up as you (intake/exhaust). The Borla will mellow with time. As far as the drone between 2000-2500 RPM? I hardly ever drive in that range so I don't notice it at all. When I'm around town I usually keep it in 3rd and on the highway I guess I drive fast enough to keep the RPM's above 3k.

Old 02-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
guys, you actually hear it more from the inside for some reason. i have borla on mine and it does the same thing. (i actually like it).
if you try to listen from the outside - it's not as noticable.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm sure the droning is more audible in the car. It seems at that frequency, the body acts like a giant amplifier much like a guitar except we're sitting inside of it. I think it has mellowed with time, unless my hearing is just shot now and I'm deaf to those frequencies. I find driving in manumatic mode helps a bit to control the rpms and thus the volume of the droning but it doesn't go away completely. Might be good if they designed a flapper valve in the exhaust to keep the droning down at low exhaust volumes and crank it open for full unrestricted volume at higher rpms. They do something like that on the some motorbikes to pass exhaust volume restrictions.

On the downside, it does interfere with music listening and if you don't want to crank up your music anymore, you will hear the exhaust on top of your music.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't hear the drone anymore after almost a year of driving around with it. Just got used to it, I suppose.

When I go WOT, though, everyone has to stop and go "holy hell!" I was driving around this weekend w/ a member from the boards, and he said he was a fan of it. A compliment on the sedan from a coupe guy-- that's a hard one to find

G

Old 02-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Sedan
I've never heard so many comments on drone from the Borla. Usually you here the Stillen exhaust people talking about a drone. It's just not an issue on my sedan.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Multi-Spoked Mod
yea.. i traded it in.. I got fuji instead!

much quieter!

Ed Lin

Old 03-02-2005, 03:37 AM
I have to say I am getting more used to it and I'm thinking that's gotta the be only reason it get quieter. In most cases, exhausts tend to get louder as you break in. What's there to break in on a stainless baffled exhaust anyway? Oddly it sounds better when you drive more aggressively because you don't hang around the Drone Zone much.

Best sound about the Borla has to be a warm start. The rumble from the start is awesome and even better in an underground enclose garage. WOT is good too. I really can't wait to track it.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Sedan
Originally Posted by Vancouver_G35
I have to say I am getting more used to it and I'm thinking that's gotta the be only reason it get quieter. In most cases, exhausts tend to get louder as you break in. What's there to break in on a stainless baffled exhaust anyway? Oddly it sounds better when you drive more aggressively because you don't hang around the Drone Zone much.

Best sound about the Borla has to be a warm start. The rumble from the start is awesome and even better in an underground enclose garage. WOT is good too. I really can't wait to track it.
I like to throw a few revs while going through an underpass. With the sunroof open it sounds wicked!

Old 03-02-2005, 10:06 AM
I've had mine on for about a year now and I have always liked the extra sound volume. My wife complained a lot over the first few months but she has apparantly gotten used to it (at least the complaining has stopped). It does sound great when you go WOT. I try not to stay in the "drone zone" when possible.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Eventually the wife stopped complaining since it wont do any good....

HOWEVER....

your now screwed for the rest of your life or till the divorce... since she will hold it against you till the end of time !

ppp

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Borla for sedan. Anyone got comments?