Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

N1 style exhaust/y pipe resonated or straight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N1 style exhaust/y pipe resonated or straight

I really wanted a top speed n1 exhaust but after calling them found out it's going to be 60 days min and maybe longer and since I don't have patience I looked around was going to buy an invidia n1 exhaust for 350z w extension pipe however the invidia has a 2.38" piping and top speed is 3" so after searching like crazy on the internet I found an exhaust by circuit werks that is the same 3" as top speed and is only $350 it's for a 350z so I'll have to buy an extension pipe don't care it's a knock off since top speed is already a knock off anyway with the $ I am saving I am thinking of buying the circuit werks y pipe my question is do I buy the resonated y pipe or the straight pipe y pipe since the exhaust already has a resonator or will 2 resonators really clean up the sound make it sound better???

Old 02-10-2018, 07:42 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
I have the Circuit Werks resonated Y-pipe, it definitely helped but the main issue ended up being the Tanabe exhaust itself. For a relatively quiet exhaust it has a lot of drone.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Scottwax
I have the Circuit Werks resonated Y-pipe, it definitely helped but the main issue ended up being the Tanabe exhaust itself. For a relatively quiet exhaust it has a lot of drone.

funny i I was just reading your thread lol so I have 2 choices go with the circuit weeks resonated y pipe$280 or I just found a unresonated y pipe for about $100 it's clone to the agency power one with the 3" n1 exhaust my question is resonated y pipe or straight pipe y?

Old 02-10-2018, 08:10 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You need to pay VERY close attention to inner diameter when mixing and matching components. If you step up to a large diameter, then throttle down to a smaller diameter you're going to have drone and there's pretty much nothing you can do to fix it. A well engineered system will either be the same diameter for the entire length or gradually increase (slightly) in diameter as the flow moves downstream. This is all excluding the diameter of the tip which is more for sound tuning and doesn't really affect cabin drone.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
You need to pay VERY close attention to inner diameter when mixing and matching components. If you step up to a large diameter, then throttle down to a smaller diameter you're going to have drone and there's pretty much nothing you can do to fix it. A well engineered system will either be the same diameter for the entire length or gradually increase (slightly) in diameter as the flow moves downstream. This is all excluding the diameter of the tip which is more for sound tuning and doesn't really affect cabin drone.
that is why I'm going to replace the y pipe so it will be 3" all the way to the mufflers from the y cuz the extension. Pipe was either 3 2.5 or 2.25 I want the 3" so I'm going to replace the y pipe but nobody has answered my question weather I should get the resonated y pipe or the straight pipe y pipe????

Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 PM
This is the top speed 3"
This is the circuit works 3" it's the same exact exhaust only the circuit works is high polished and I am saving over $200

Old 02-10-2018, 08:33 PM
This is the resonated y pipe from circuit werks it has got great reviews and is said to be extremely similar to motordyne xyz for almost half the price $289 ..resonated or straight pipe is my question

Old 02-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
G35C 5AT
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Minor thread hijack, but I found a way to heavily reduce drone. Found the Toyota equivalent of those rubber pucks on the HR Y-pipe (couldn't find Nissan), clamped one each between the flex-pipe and cats, and boom 90% drone gone. Sounds like it reduced a lot of the low frequencies in the exhaust that were causing the drone.

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Both the resonator and muffler in the Tanabe neck down considerably. Not only did replacing both with a resonator and muffler with the same diameter as the piping eliminate 90% of the drone but my car feels a bit stronger at higher rpm too.

Old 09-22-2020, 01:32 AM
Infiniti G35 Coupe Auto Sport Suspension Upgrade in Lakeshore Slate color
[QUOTE=Melo5812;7129647]
This is the top speed 3"
This is the circuit works 3" it's the same exact exhaust only the circuit works is high polished and I am saving over $200

Sorry that this is 2 years later, but did you end up getting this exhaust? If so what are your thoughts? I’m heavily considering it for my 05 coupe. Thanks!