Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Yes, Another Exhaust Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 05:56 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,463 Likes on 2,155 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
A little surface rust like that won't hurt a thing, hit it with a wire wheel if it really bugs you but it's just going to rust again

Old 10-30-2019, 01:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 6MT Sport Sedan (Desert Platinum)
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
A little surface rust like that won't hurt a thing, hit it with a wire wheel if it really bugs you but it's just going to rust again
I was totally down to go for it but then he sent me a picture of the other side.

That screams exhaust leak to me... looks like he bottomed out real bad?

What do you think? Is it cheap/easy to repair? Should I even bother making him an offer on it or look elsewheres?

Old 11-06-2019, 11:18 PM
Ok so I kinda put it on the backburner for a minute until I gets my money...

I saw this on wikipedia... list of cars that had the VQ35HR.... so all these cars would have HR y pipes, correct?

The VQ35HR fitted to the following vehicles:

Does that mean I don't specifically have to find a G35? For instance, I saw this online recently: https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...009393424.html

Would that work for my 2003 G35 6MT?

Thanks in advance for all your answers to my sometimes silly questions. It helps!

Old 11-07-2019, 10:54 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That's from a VQ37VHR motor, a VHR pipe, I wouldn't go with one because the inlet diameter is much smaller than the HR pipe.

This thread on the 350Z forum has good pictures comparing the two.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...de-y-pipe.html

Old 11-18-2019, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670
That's from a VQ37VHR motor, a VHR pipe, I wouldn't go with one because the inlet diameter is much smaller than the HR pipe.

This thread on the 350Z forum has good pictures comparing the two.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-n...de-y-pipe.html
Thanks for the heads up. My Y pipe days are not turning out to be very productive so I thought I would focus on other parts. Namely, what do you think of this deal? It says stillen exhaust I'm not sure if that's just the tips or the muffler is stillen too. It ain't the prettiest, but I imagined they would clean up well? What would you recommend? Would steel wool be smart? Or a chemical like CLR? Or I may even have access to a pressure washer.

Would you bite on this if you were in my bruno malley's?

Old 11-18-2019, 08:37 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That's just the muffler section of the Stillen dual exhaust, it will not bolt up to the existing system which is just a single pipe back. However that's a pretty screaming deal and you could probably get ahold of the 2 missing midpipes or have a local reputable muffler shop bend you some. Here's what the whole thing looks like.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:47 PM
That's just the muffler section of the Stillen dual exhaust, it will not bolt up to the existing system which is just a single pipe back. However that's a pretty screaming deal and you could probably get ahold of the 2 missing midpipes or have a local reputable muffler shop bend you some. Here's what the whole thing looks like.

OK duh! LOL that makes perfect sense because I've seen the borla and the stillen complete cat back systems and didn't understand where this fit in. So it's just the muffler and exhaust tips from that system but it uses a different resonator. So he has X pipes, then, as part of this setup? I'm hesitant to buy anything that won't work 'out of the box' or oem so to speak. I'm trying to ball on a budget lol. If I were to get this I'd have to have custom work up to the Y pipe then eh? I'm not sure how I would go about finding the missing pieces to this set.... I will keep it as an option in my back pocket. For some reason in my area the G parts don't seem to be in too short supply just out dated

Old 12-04-2019, 11:18 PM
Ok so it's taken a little while but I finally have obtained a pair of HR pipes. Yay! They're from an '08 G35 coupe so they should work, right?!

He let em go for $60 but it was another 10 bucks to ship them. He's only 125 miles away but I couldn't convince the wife lol... if it were a major city with something to do, maybe but it seems like it's nowhereland, CA so no dice.

What do you think about these? Will they work? Is that a good price?

If this works then my next step is replacing the midpipe.. which brings me to my question. Having a hard time locating a used midpipe in my area. Apparently the 350z's setup is 3-6" shorter from what I've read.

Soooo......if I want the coupe's midpipe (everyone says it sounds waaaaayyy better), should I go OEM or just fudge it and go aftermarket? I've seen coupe midpipes from Borsa or Walker for like $60-$40... I do want to stay as close to OEM as possible but still eek out a tiny performance or tone change/increase. What's your opinion?

bosal

walker

Note I would've hyperlinked but it didn't seem to work correctly...

Old 12-05-2019, 04:52 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
That's a good deal on the Y pipe, I'd jump on it, plus it looks nice and clean.

Hold out until you can find a nice clean coupe mid-pipe, most of the aftermarket ones either have a very small resonator or none at all. The OEM coupe pipe has a fairly large resonator and it's proven to sound great on the sedan.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:36 PM
That's a good deal on the Y pipe, I'd jump on it, plus it looks nice and clean.

Hold out until you can find a nice clean coupe mid-pipe, most of the aftermarket ones either have a very small resonator or none at all. The OEM coupe pipe has a fairly large resonator and it's proven to sound great on the sedan.
That's what I heard as well, regarding the coupe pipe.

Got a bite on the coupe midpipe... does $50 sound good it's a 2004 coupe...

Last edited by nasch007; 12-06-2019 at 06:36 PM. Reason: yes
Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,019 Likes on 937 Posts
Yeah I'd say.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Yeah I'd say.
Damndest of things the local guy is being a flake. Might have to go long distance it'll add 15 or so bucks to ship but should still end up under 75 bucks.

The y pipes I got are super clean so hopes are high!!

Old 12-09-2019, 08:08 PM
So I've got the Y-Pipes, the coupe midpipe is almost in hand... the last step is mufflers and exhaust tips... I know there aren't very many G35 specific mufflers... not many that are bolt on (could you point me to some, if any?)

So looking at universal options, and coming to the conclusion the muffler shop will need to install these. Just wanna know if these are viable options for my sedan:

Option 1 FlowMaster FX: https://www.holley.com/products/exha...es/parts/71225 paired with a single muffler tip https://www.holley.com/products/exha...ps/parts/15373 ... I know it's only 1 outlet, but the muffler says 3" straight through design... so is that a good option? Or should I only be looking at 1 inlet, 2 outlet mufflers? What makes a muffler good/bad for this application? Is there a specific thing I should be looking for?

Old 12-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35x Premium Package
Hi, I've been looking for a Y pipe for my 2006 G35x Sedan. Where'd you look for the one you bought?
My default was what I found on Rock Auto for $130 with shipping and tax
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...432547&jsn=516

Old 12-12-2019, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by ProjectG35x
Hi, I've been looking for a Y pipe for my 2006 G35x Sedan. Where'd you look for the one you bought?
My default was what I found on Rock Auto for $130 with shipping and tax
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...432547&jsn=516
Yeah I was looking online at aftermarket too but the folks here said it isn't a good value that's too much to pay for that part. I've seen listings on Ebay and there's always craigslist. Junkyards in your area if you're lucky but actually mine came in the mail. Someone was willing to ship theirs through the app offer up. I might've found my stock midpipe from there as wellI will found out today.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yes, Another Exhaust Question Thread