Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Yes, Another Exhaust Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 08:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G35 6MT Sport Sedan (Desert Platinum)
Originally Posted by ProjectG35x
Hi, I've been looking for a Y pipe for my 2006 G35x Sedan. Where'd you look for the one you bought?
My default was what I found on Rock Auto for $130 with shipping and tax
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...432547&jsn=516
ProjectG35x I can't promise you the same deal I got but I can steer you to my source (pardon the pun):

Check out this Stock g35 G37 350z 370z y pipes all good condition for $80 on OfferUp https://offerup.co/JONVWGh9m2

The following users liked this post:
ProjectG35x (12-13-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by nasch007
So I've got the Y-Pipes, the coupe midpipe is almost in hand... the last step is mufflers and exhaust tips... I know there aren't very many G35 specific mufflers... not many that are bolt on (could you point me to some, if any?)

So looking at universal options, and coming to the conclusion the muffler shop will need to install these. Just wanna know if these are viable options for my sedan:

Option 1 FlowMaster FX: https://www.holley.com/products/exha...es/parts/71225 paired with a single muffler tip https://www.holley.com/products/exha...ps/parts/15373 ... I know it's only 1 outlet, but the muffler says 3" straight through design... so is that a good option? Or should I only be looking at 1 inlet, 2 outlet mufflers? What makes a muffler good/bad for this application? Is there a specific thing I should be looking for?
I'd look into Dynomax and get turbo style mufflers (not straight through but they flow really well), give you a deeper idle, sound a lot better when you get on it but won't be excessively loud. Dynomax and Magnaflow also have straight through designs but they will be louder.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Scottwax
I'd look into Dynomax and get turbo style mufflers (not straight through but they flow really well), give you a deeper idle, sound a lot better when you get on it but won't be excessively loud. Dynomax and Magnaflow also have straight through designs but they will be louder.
Turbo style, ok. I tried looking on their website their vehicle selector doesn't have any Infiniti so I'll just look around and see what they got under Turbo mufflers.

I tried to sort of match the dimensions of the Magnaflow 14815 that I saw in the sedan thread... since that seems to be the closest stock-impersonator I've seen. I did see some ultra-flo options but as for Turbo... I take it Super Turbo is the turbo you're referring to?

This is what I came up with: https://pitstopusa.com/i-23924146-th...universal.html and just in case that site is bunk: https://sportcompactwarehouse.com/dy...-jeep-wrangler

I would combine it with:
Amazon Amazon

Am I on the right track? I'm a little concerned that I don't get all these different measurements and don't know what's compatible with what since (ironically) everything is marked 'universal'...

What do you think will this be a good fit on my 2003 6MT Sedan?

What is the difference between different inlet/outlet sizes? As far as practical purposes goes I mean I know what it means, but what do I need? Which is optimal? What happens if I choose a non-optimal one?

Last edited by nasch007; 12-13-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:32 PM
Argh. Sometimes it's one step forward, two steps back you know?

I got the good deal on the Y-pipes. They are in excellent shape. I even found a local deal on the coupe midpipe... $40 bucks cash in hand. Excellent!!

Went to my local mechanic... he's a good guy. I asked him to change the wiper blades, top off fluids, check and lube the chassis, and install the y pipes, midpipe, and brand new gaskets. He charged me $150 (local highly reviewed muffler shop wanted $200 min... and then they said they couldn't be sure until they had it in hand).

I drove it around and my god. It is the icing on the cake. Even with the stock muffler, it had such a nice feel and note! So much deeper but not annoyingly loud. No rasp, no drone... I was in heaven.

For about 24 hours.

Went to take it on a long drive to our favorite mexican food place (El Indio -- they are the ****!!).

Some dumb broad cuts it too close in the parking lot. We were just sitting there parked like "this chick is wayyyyy close".

Here's the aftermath:

Almost the exact same injury/accident I had just a month after owning the car.

Sigh. At least this time, I have coverage. The lady is trying to say it isn't her fault... folks, always call the police. No matter. Just call em.

Since the car is being repaired, I have time to look at muffler options.

I've sort of settled on this dynomax combo... could I get your all's thoughts?

Amazon Amazon
Dynomax 17731 Super Turbo Muffler
Amazon Amazon
Dynomax 36473 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip
Amazon Amazon
Dynomax 35336 Hardware Clamp (everyone says the included one sucks)

I'm interested in keeping a similar note to the exhaust, but also I don't want to lose any torque or HP... will this be a good choice? Will I gain anything?

Old 12-25-2019, 11:26 AM
6 speed G35 sedan
Sucks that another incompetent Toyota driver caused an accident.

Any aftermarket performance muffler is going to be louder than OEM. But with larger internals, they do flow better. However, the Super Turbo muffler isn't excessively loud, had swapped out the muffler on my Tanabe with one trying to kill the awful drone, it definitely helped and was bigger internally then the Tanabe muffler. Also replaced the resonator with a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator that helped even more. Only reason I replaced everything with the Megan exhaust is because its a true 3" exhaust end to end where the Tanabe is 2.75" vs the Y-pipe's full 3". Might still end up swapping the Megan resonator with another Vibrant...not nearly as much drone as the Tanabe but its a bit more than I had with the Dynomax/Vibrant combo.

BTW, we have the same car, same color even.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:12 PM
Sucks that another incompetent Toyota driver caused an accident.

Any aftermarket performance muffler is going to be louder than OEM. But with larger internals, they do flow better. However, the Super Turbo muffler isn't excessively loud, had swapped out the muffler on my Tanabe with one trying to kill the awful drone, it definitely helped and was bigger internally then the Tanabe muffler. Also replaced the resonator with a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator that helped even more. Only reason I replaced everything with the Megan exhaust is because its a true 3" exhaust end to end where the Tanabe is 2.75" vs the Y-pipe's full 3". Might still end up swapping the Megan resonator with another Vibrant...not nearly as much drone as the Tanabe but its a bit more than I had with the Dynomax/Vibrant combo.

BTW, we have the same car, same color even.
Sucks indeed... you know what they say about Toyotas... Totally Ordinary Yawn-Optimizing Terrible Autos.

I'm just eager to get it repaired. Thankfully, I'm going to be getting a KBD Nismo Style Urethane aftermarket bumper: https://www.kbdbodykits.com/infiniti...per-p-804.html and I'm going to top it off with a nice billet grille:
Amazon Amazon

Yeah I think I'm going to be very happy with the sound. Instead of the vibrant resonator I went with the coupe resonator. It sounds so much better already.

So there's 3" internals on the dynomax I've picked out then correct? Will that make up for only having one exit? The stock has two exits, doesn't it? With this muffler/exhaust tip combo, am I going to see any gains at all with regard to HP or Torque? Would I potentially see any losses?

Cool we have the same car!! Same year? Desert Platinum, I don't see this color out on the road too much. I'm glad to have the Sport edition. And I think we both got good deals on our cars.

I'm planning on making a set of custom license plate frames with the G35 driver logo. I'll send pics if I go through with it!

The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 06:53 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
The Dynomax is available with 3" entrance and exit. You need side entrance, center exit.
Same car, 6 speed, sport, Desert Platinum. Paid $5000 for it in 2016 with 132k miles.
Yes, Another Exhaust Question Thread-vftel8q.jpg

Yes, Another Exhaust Question Thread-4bnzkol.jpg

Old 12-26-2019, 12:22 AM
The Dynomax is available with 3" entrance and exit. You need side entrance, center exit.
Same car, 6 speed, sport, Desert Platinum. Paid $5000 for it in 2016 with 132k miles.

Can't see the pics maybe it's my browser.

So I was reading some reviews that said that despite the 3" inlet and outlet, it switches immediately to 2" wide inside the muffler. Is this the case? If so, I can't justify the increase in price... I'm looking between three models right now, all centered/offset, with 3" outlet: the 17731, the 17744, and the 17793. The price difference is almost 300%... could anyone make a recommendation between these?

Old 12-27-2019, 11:01 PM
6 speed G35 sedan
Doesn't appear to be too much reduction in internal pipe size. Definitely didn't notice any drop in performance between it and the straight through muffler the Tanabe came with...actually felt a touch stronger and since it was quieter, it wasn't sound influencing the butt dyno.

Part # on mine is 17744

Last edited by Scottwax; 12-27-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:44 PM
I think I'm going to order the Dynomax and muffler tip I mentioned in the last post. Also thinking I might need an adapter? From 2.25" to 3.0" does that sound correct? All three should run me about $90 but I might sign up for an Amazon credit card and get a credit off so it might be as little as like $20. Which would be awesome.

The local muffler shop wants about $160 to install it. Does that sound reasonable? Sounds high to me but I've not had muffler work done before.

I'm going to ask my usual mechanic but he says he'll have to look at it and that means I have to wait until I get my car back from the shop... what do you guys think?