Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Plenum spacer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nuttyprof
AHHHHHHHHH, omg. this #@$^^%^ thread is going on forever. ill bet nobody will even read this. ahhhhhh
LOL!!!!

Old 03-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
Fantastic. The President of Mars has sent me a congratulatory hologram pledging his undying support in my fight against the rampant spread of pigheadedness on this board. It's also nice to hear.
W.
And you wanted to compare SAT scores... how about comparing psychological profiles... Don't take yourself too seriously ChicagoX, me either for that matter. I am not some dummy who's posting untrue information, I'm actually posting fact and I'm attempting to back it up. Everyone who has attacked me or commented in Tony's defense has put words in my mouth or addressed side issues. BOTTOM LINE. I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THE PLENUM SPACER CAN BALANCE FLOW AS WELL AS THE CRAWFORD PLENUM. The more balanced the flow, the more hp the G35 or 350z will make with other after market mods (like intake, equal length headers, cats, exhaust, etc...). I will post as much data to support my statements as humanly possible. The remainder of the data needs to be presented by Tony.

BTW, the data collection was hired out by a firm to help Crawford do his testing. Doug is awaiting the firm to e-mail him the test results. When he gets the data and forwards them on to me, I'll post said data ASAP.

Hydrazine, I was wondering how you performed the testing. Did you do your flow bench testing on a VQ35DE that was on an engine hoist or engine stand? Was the engine mounted in place in the car? Just curious...

Neff, you used to be a respected, opinionated (which is a good thing, IMHO), FAIR contributor to this board. Now it is nothing but Crawford rhetoric and negative jabs here and there.
Only in this thread. It's amazing how you perceived me as a "used to be" and have changed your opinion based on one simple thread. BRILLIANT!
I read and read these spacer threads before getting involved. I've gathered data, noticed the dynos, read reports from those who are happy with the mod and then saw your post which I had a problem with. According to you... What you said was not what you meant. Well I've been getting "hammered" by the CA crew for the same thing throughout this thread, so take your lumps like a man.

Why did you feel it necessary to get that last sales pitch/dig at the competition in?
To bother people like you! Dude, it was a joke.

Last edited by neffster; 03-22-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If my previous post had a respectful tone, please ignore it.

Neff, you have now stooped to the level where I assumed you would never go:

Originally Posted by Neffster
I've got those dingleberries right where I want them.

1. Tony apparently doesn't know much about dynos. He hasn't mentioned engine oil temps once.

2. Tony has already refused to post his data (probably because he never collected any)

3. Both the 1/4", the 3/8" and the 1/2" spacers BY RULE cannot all "balance air flow" equally. There MUST be a pressure drop from the back to the front cyllinders on a minimum of 2 of the 3 concepts.

4. I would bet that the Crawford vs. Spacer dyno was rigged (whether intentionally or not). The first dyno run is always lower than the second, which is lower than the third, etc... Why? Engine Oil temp drastically affects output hp. Cold oil = low hp. The Crawford plenum was probably dynoed first. It was probably ran once, twice, maybe 3 times then the spacer was put on. Those pulls helped to warm up the engine oil... My guess is that the spacer was then added and then the car was dynoed another 5+ times to get the car good and hot and this lead to the spacer showing the "great results". (This is just a hunch and I could be wrong, but after reading the comments in their posts, this seems reasonable to me).

5. Doug is sending me his flow bench test data today. I'll post that and PROVE what Doug has been saying is correct. This can only mean that Hydrazine (Tony) is incorrect when he says his spacer "balances air flow". If he's wrong about this (reads lying) then he's probably wrong (reads lying) about the dyno results too.

THIS IS WHY I WANT TO DO OUR OWN TESTING. Doug Stewart has already done his own spacer dyno testing and even he admits that it does help some, just not as much as the plenum! Which is what I've said from the start!

That thread is going to get really interesting later today or tomorrow, stay tuned.
I think you have managed to chafe all of the 'dingleberries' and liars enough to accurately display your true colors. Any shred of respect once afforded you has long evaporated.

How many times can you say "probably" and "hunch" and "guess" and still feel good about your assertions?

Your position (self-appointed or not) of Crawford mouthpiece has HURT, not helped their public perception. I wouldn't want your kind of help.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:58 PM
If my previous post had a respectful tone, please ignore it.

Neff, you have now stooped to the level where I assumed you would never go:

I think you have managed to chafe all of the 'dingleberries' and liars enough to accurately display your true colors. Any shred of respect once afforded you has long evaporated.

How many times can you say "probably" and "hunch" and "guess" and still feel good about your assertions?

Your position (self-appointed or not) of Crawford mouthpiece has HURT, not helped their public perception. I wouldn't want your kind of help.
There is data that is not being shared because the person holding the data will not share it. WHY?

Doug personally asked me not to back down from this topic. He has done the testing himself with plenums and spacers and knows which method is the best. All I'm trying to do is get Tony to post his data so that we can all see it. Because he "refused" to post it, I said that I doubted he ever took any.

After re-reading the above PRIVATE MESSAGE the only thing that I wish would not have been published on this open forum is the "dingleberry" comment. Should have just put in "Hydrazine Harridan's" and left well enough alone. To me a dingleberry is just a "silly" word that wasn't intended to be pointed or directed. Every other sentence is an assumption (and clearly stated as such) based on what I've been able to put together from all of the plenum spacer posts.

Regarding the message above...

1. … “apparently”….
2. … “probably”…
3. Statement of fact.
4. “ I would bet… (whether intentionally or not).” …This is just a hunch and I could be wrong…”
5. A bit harsh with the lying part, but if he didn’t actually do the testing then he would be lying or if he said the plenum spacer balanced air flow and in fact it did not he would be lying.

This would all be so much easier if Tony would just share his data (at least do so after I post Doug’s data).

Will this ever happen? Probably not.
Do most people care? Probably not.

Last edited by neffster; 03-22-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:04 PM
Neff, is this you?
Did the solution in the spray bottle spread evenly across your Piaa's?

Old 03-22-2005, 03:07 PM
"Doug personally asked me not to back down from this topic."

Dude, if this is the case, f cuk Crawford. That really sucks that you have to be their puppet.

I will be boycotting all crawford products from here on... but then again, I can't really afford their products.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Dizz
"Doug personally asked me not to back down from this topic."

Dude, if this is the case, f cuk Crawford. That really sucks that you have to be their puppet.

I will be boycotting all crawford products from here on... but then again, I can't really afford their products.
Are you the same person on 6mt.net that was kissing my butt for info a few months back? Now all of a sudden you're a mod know-it-all and giving me a hard time? Don't forget the "it's a small world" saying. I sure won't.

Last edited by neffster; 03-22-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:16 PM
All right Doug. From here on, you're on your own. You've got the data, post it. You've done the testing, defend it. I'm stepping aside from this point forward.

It's not my intention of making any more trouble on your behalf. I believe that you know what you're talking about, but from here on, you'll have to step in and represent your own products and how they work...

The heat in the kitchen is just getting too hot for me.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Again, like I said b4, I don't think most of us should be in the middle of this mess. If a fair, scientific comparison between the 2 products is performed by unbiased ppl, then fine and they can post the results in a new thread for discussion. But, for now, I think most of the crap in this thread between Neffster, Hydrazine, ChicagoX, Dizz, (Tony and Doug) and others is just wasting our time.

Neffster - I have read many of your posts over the past year and I for one, have always respected you as one of the authorities on the G35 in regards to the mechanics and modifications on our cars. I live in S. Florida and one reason why I chose to get the Z tube as my first mod is b/c of your (and your buddies) tests of the CF Dyno Day. Your posts of the CF Dyno Day results were very informative and persuasive. However, it does appear that you have a very close relationship with Doug @ Crawford and many perceive this as you having a biased opinion on this subject. It seems as if you and many of your friends which have Crawford products are very happy with their performance and that's great. Why has Doug @ Crawford asked you fight this on our Forum? This is not right...not right for all of us, no matter who is ultimately correct. If some ppl want to do an unbiased, scientific comaprison, then by all means - do so and post your results, but please stop all this bs.

Personally, I thought about the Crawford Plenum, but when I researched it, I realized it just wasn't worth it, imo. This MD Plenum Spacer, however it actually, physically achieves an increase in HP/torque, seems to be a less expensive alternative to the Crawford Plenum (even if its gains are a bit less than the Crawford Plenum). I think all this banter of which one is better and what's mechanically possible and what physics can allow or not allow doesn't help those who just want to improve their G35 without all the data. A lot of these mods that we buy and install are just perception and how they make us feel when driving our cars.

Hey, I love my Coupe midpipe just b/c it makes my car sound better and for $235 (new) + $100 for installation, I think it's a worthwhile mod. Did I dyno my car to see exactly how much HP it gained, if any? No; frankly, I don't care. Did I dyno my care after I installed my Z tube/K&N filter? No, but I'm fairly certain (from testimonials and other dyno's including ones done at the CF Dyno Day) that it does increase HP. My "butt dyno" confirms this as well, and that's my perception, so I'm happy with it. A lot this also has to do with the benefit vs. cost factor. The Crawford Plenum is $395 or $600 (polished) + shipping I believe while the MD Plenum Spacer is $225 (wth shipping) for the 3/8" Plenum Spacer. If the less expensive product works and provides a noticeable HP/torque gain (whether it's equal to or less than the gain of the Crawford Plenum), then it's benefit vs. cost factor is higher than the Crawford Plenum, imo. Also, with the MD Plenum Spacer, it's just an add-on and you don't have to switch out the Plenum which is something I am not comfortable doing. Now, I do not plan on having both mods, which I know is one of Neffster's points of all this discussion, but again, that is a discussion of mechanics and physics - which I am not interested in.

I respect most of everyone on G35Driver.com but I do have to agree that this back-and-forth name calling and 'calling bs' isn't productive, especially for those who just want to improve their cars without spending hours studying all the data. One reason G35Driver.com is so great and so helpful is that anyone can read though posts and post questions to gain knowledge, experiences, opinions, and seek testimonials on products which improve our cars.

Like I said b4, it appears both products work - for whatever reason. Which one works better? If you really need to know, then figure out a way to scientifically compare the 2 products. But, for goodness sake, please leave all of us who don't give a rat's a-s, out of this argument. As a final note, I am eagerly awaiting my 3/8" MD Plenum Spacer to see if I "perceive" and "feel" any improvement which will make me smile; then, I can forget all about this crap discussed on this thread!

Last edited by bsgoren; 03-22-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
Are you the same person on 6mt.net that was kissing my butt for info a few months back? Now all of a sudden you're a mod know-it-all and giving me a hard time? Don't forget the "it's a small world" saying. I sure won't.
Haha... kissing your butt?
If asking you questions about plenums is kissing your butt, you need to have a sit down with your ego. If you think I'm giving you a hard time, you brought all of this on yourself. To bring up something as trivial as flow pressure and what not is pretty silly when everyone who dyno'd the spacer all received gains similar to what the v5 has produced.

I never claimed or said that I am a mod know it all, but what I do know is that my spacer does the same thing as your v5, but my mod just happens to be way less expensive.

The difference between you and me is that Tony doesn't have his hand up my a ss telling me to sling mud on a competitor's product. It's shame because you do know so much about these cars.

There's no doubt that you're knowledgeable about g35's, but this entire thread just puts you and Doug in a bad light... Kinda dark actually.

Like I said, I hope you're quest for trivial data finds you.

p.s.
shave your a ss and pick off the dingleberries next time I decide to kiss it.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Neff:

I didn't know that the forum was your private messaging board:

https://g35driver.com/forums/florida-g-club/48134-time-another-cfl-dyno-day.html

Get your crap straight before you fling it.

Last edited by ChicagoX; 03-22-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by neffster
All right Doug. From here on, you're on your own. You've got the data, post it. You've done the testing, defend it. I'm stepping aside from this point forward.

It's not my intention of making any more trouble on your behalf. I believe that you know what you're talking about, but from here on, you'll have to step in and represent your own products and how they work...

The heat in the kitchen is just getting too hot for me.
I think stepping out of this is a good idea neff. It's apparent to everyone here you're parroting everything Crawford says, time for you to save face.

To answer your question included in your PM to Chi regarding oil temps...
https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=181

The other question that needs to be answered is whether or not equalization is offset or minimized with the increased volume that a spacer provides.

Since you're calling into question the dynos posted here, should you not also question the gains that the Crawford plenum puts out? Put on your common sense hat and look at the dyno on CrawfordZ. Do you think that plot is realistic? The increased torque directly contradicts what Doug personally told me over the phone which is that you only get increased HP with the cast plenum, no increase in torque.

My guess is that without a dyno, no one could tell if they had a spacer or plenum under their hood.

Last edited by tazdevl; 03-22-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:07 PM
People are pestering you due to the simple fact that you cannot believe there is more than one way to skin a cat and the way you have approached this whole issue.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Neffster - After reading this entire thread (whew), it seems to me that if Crawford (Doug) not only endorses, but actually ENCOURAGES the kind of baseless mudslinging you've been making here then I have to conclude that Crawford is one F'ed up whiney coward of a company that doesn't really deserve my money. And that will go far beyond a plenum. I hope you're happy with your boy, Doug. Hydrazine, you'll have my business...

Absolutely pathetic...
--Viral

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plenum spacer