Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Exhaust Options (Budget!!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
borla makes a quality product...always has, but................

flowbenching exhausts isn't also a good indicator of power capabilities. Try flowing a chambered muffler , like flowmaster; they don't "flow" well, but exhaust energy comes in pulses.

Flowmasters definately work. Look at the mustang crowd. it is a popular muffler, and it makes great power.

just some food for thought

Old 12-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry for not being complete in my earlier post - I have flowed, benched, and dyno'd the systems - you could say I did a study on them in some sort of way.

The bottom line is that you don't buy exhaust for the price. You buy exhaust for several reasons:

1 - Sound - either more or less
2 - Performance increase and efficiency increase
3 - a combination of both

Most people buy exhaust for form, in this case, sound. I subscribe to the function before form methodology, and then ultimately get the #3 above.

You can't buy exhaust for car based on what other people say - really you can't. You can get ideas from others, but until you sample a systems for yourself, from a car that has been seasoned with it, you'll never know if #1 objectives will ever be accomplished.

Everyone has their own version of what's best - for them that is.

Education is REAL important here. You have to know why you are buying what your buying, and if what your buying is worth the money to begin with, especially if you want to meet objective #2 above.

Once you have that understood, you can then make a choice on #3 - which will actually make you happy. the last thing you want to do is put 3-4 exhaust systems in your car to only possibly find out that what you gained was a crappy muffler design that gave you noise, and nothing else.

See the link below to get a better understanding of how this all works.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

I think most will agree that you really need to arrange a few meets with people and hear the systems for yourself, then learn about the science of exhaust, to make an effective decision you wont regret.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree that is why I only have custom exhausts made for my cars.

That way, I get what I want and how it want it.. I

If you have a shop close by that does mandrel bending and they'll let you have input into how you want your exhaust, that is the way to go.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by QuadCam
I agree that is why I only have custom exhausts made for my cars.

That way, I get what I want and how it want it.. I

If you have a shop close by that does mandrel bending and they'll let you have input into how you want your exhaust, that is the way to go.
+1 - Mandrel needing isn't that important when it really comes down to overall flow, etc. It really isn't. Remember you are closely doubling the flow of the car when you go dual to begin with, and there are so few bends in most of the systems to begin with, and custom systems will have even less bends. the car really doesn't handle the extra flow well either, which is why most of the dual systems go right back to a dual in/out muffler...the exhaust needs to be slowed down work effectively and efficiently. If you do internals, FI etc, you'll need and want true dual all the way back with a simplifies H or even X pipe up front for balancing.

If you were going FI - you MAY notice performance differences - but the cost doesn't usually justify the end result to go mandrel bent. Also, most shops that do mandrel custom systems will be very expensive and take a longer time to get a system done as well. If time and money isn't the issue, unlike this case on this thread, it would be the way to go.