Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Test pipe - from people who actually have them

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test pipe - from people who actually have them

How bad is the smell of unburnt gas at idle? I mean, is it realllllllllllly horrible and you just want to puke, or very minor that you get used to after a while?

Also, have you had any problems like backfiring with them?

Reason I ask is because I searched and the problem is, it would seem that most people love them (small gain in power, loud-*** sound with headers and exhaust), but then some people (who don't have them, which probably explains a bit) come in saying 'your car will probably backfire' 'your car will probably catch on fire if somebody smokes inside of it' 'your car will probably suck', etc... etc....

I'm curious about opinions fmr people who actually have them.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had non-resonated test pipes on my car and they were a little raspy. It kind of sounds like an open wastegate after 3k, just not nearly as loud. As far as the smell, it smells like it is running rich like a cold start before the cats warm up, slightly annoying, but not enough to make you puke. Inside the car you wont notice, by the trunk you will.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by 13bmx5
I had non-resonated test pipes on my car and they were a little raspy. It kind of sounds like an open wastegate after 3k, just not nearly as loud. As far as the smell, it smells like it is running rich like a cold start before the cats warm up, slightly annoying, but not enough to make you puke. Inside the car you wont notice, by the trunk you will.
ever had somebody walk by smoking a cig and catching on fire? ^_^

Old 01-19-2006, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
ever had somebody walk by smoking a cig and catching on fire? ^_^
not a chance in hell.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by 13bmx5
not a chance in hell.
hehe, i figured those test-pipe haters had too much of an active imagination

Old 01-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Smells like teen spirit

I had some resonated test pipes on for about 2 weeks. Couldn't stand the smell, and it still droned at about 2,500 rpm. Put some high flow cats and like them a lot better. Had tons of power with the test pipes though. If you want mine, you can have them for free, just pay the shipping. But just remember I warned you.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:19 AM
I have non-resonated Helix TP's, and I noticed the smell during the first week, after that I either got used to it, or it has diminished. I do notice the smell when I really get on it, then come to a stop. You will notice rasp though with non-resonated, pretty much nothing you can do about that.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by g35cas
I had some resonated test pipes on for about 2 weeks. Couldn't stand the smell, and it still droned at about 2,500 rpm. Put some high flow cats and like them a lot better. Had tons of power with the test pipes though. If you want mine, you can have them for free, just pay the shipping. But just remember I warned you.
Hey in interested in the test pipes shoot me a pm wit shipping cost and also wantedt the brand

thanks
v

Old 01-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
From experience on other cars, if there is a smell, you'd get used to it in a few weeks and wouldn't know it's there anymore...

Old 01-19-2006, 10:36 AM
THE BATMOBILE
ill take those test pipes off your hands g35cas

Old 01-19-2006, 10:50 AM
I have the LMS resonated pipes and yes the do stink a little...but you get used to it after a while and the only times you smell it is when you’re stopped @ the light or in a garage, no way you can smell it while the car is moving. I do have a small amount of rasp between 3000 and 4000rpms but significantly less than with the non-resonated pipes. The pipes also gained ~12whp w/ UTEC.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Have any of you guys with test pipes found that you were runnign too lean and pinging/detonating a lot? (Again, one of those issues i've read about, but only from people w/o them just discussing theory behidn them)

Old 01-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by 99atlantic
Have any of you guys with test pipes found that you were runnign too lean and pinging/detonating a lot? (Again, one of those issues i've read about, but only from people w/o them just discussing theory behidn them)
Yes and Yes.

The pinging sucks, that's why I am going to try what this guy did: https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/82062-no-rasp-no-ses-light.html

Hope this helps with the pinging and as you say "detonating" stuff.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I just ordered a pair of resonated Top Speed TP's. I know I know, they are not as high quality as the Labree's, Kinteix, or UTR's, but for $75 and free installation cant resist to at least try them. Any way from what I heard, you hear no to very little rasp with them. Hopefully will get them installed next weekend along with my headers.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by crypten
Yes and Yes.

The pinging sucks, that's why I am going to try what this guy did: https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82062

Hope this helps with the pinging and as you say "detonating" stuff.
there's a difference between pipe ringing/raspyness and the engine pinging you know......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test pipe - from people who actually have them