Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

kits cracking? lets be honest!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kits cracking? lets be honest!

So....how many people with fiberglass kits have crack's appearing? ive had the kit on the car for a year now, and ironically my authentic front greddy is the only one cracking (both fender tips, one which cracked off allready....probably from scraping and it moving over the course of its life).....so ill have to have that redone soon....

my replica kenstyle rear needs to be redone cause of he bubles that came out, and waves from not being well prep'd...authentic side skirts, no problem what so ever...

if i where to get a kit again, i would probably get a poly kit > fiberglass, i dont see the point of a fiberkit....sure if you hit something it will be dead, but either way your gonna pay to fix a fiber kit, and chances of hitting something is sorta difficult if you take care of your car.

soooooo....am i just being iresponsible and my scraping has caused it to crack? or are other people having this issue too? i take care of the car, and have never scraped extremely nasty (thank god)....

Old 11-26-2006, 02:40 AM
my authentic greddy is gettin beat up too...you can see the cracking where the side markers go...

Attached Thumbnails kits cracking? lets be honest!-cimg1697.jpg   kits cracking? lets be honest!-cimg1695.jpg   kits cracking? lets be honest!-cimg1696.jpg  
Old 11-26-2006, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my kentstyle rear is wavy and has few bubblings....

Old 11-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Never enough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cutiewolf
my kentstyle rear is wavy and has few bubblings....
Its not real right?
My buddies knock off is doing the same.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Just learn how to drive a lowered+kitted car and you won't damage a fiberglass bumper. My authentic GReddy front was cracked in the driver side upper corner by the previous owner. When I had mine painted, I repaired that area and have not had any problems since. It's been on my car now for almost a year now.

I always angle, and some driveways that look too steep, I don't go in them. All the market places and plazas around my house, I have memorized. Which driveways are the easiest to get in/out of. I know which places I have to park in the street and walk in, etc, etc.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:29 PM
The cracks are most-likely being caused by the gel coat itself. Its all about prep. Most gel coats are applied very thick and need to be sanded smooth before a primer is applied. Even then, certain areas are prone to cracking. I always reinforce any fiberglass corners prior to even starting prepping the panel.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:45 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
In all honesty all fiberglasss kits will crack in time due to stress

Old 11-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by CruisnGcoupe
In all honesty all fiberglasss kits will crack in time due to stress

definately, and i have no problem with that....only i wasnt really sure how bad it got, seems what i have everyone is describing also.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:14 AM
Let's be realistic, this will happen either way..

FG will chip, but you can always just have it refiberglassed and repainted.

Urethane, your paint will crack and flake off.. most likely CONTINUE to flake off.. Yea there's dura-coat etc.. But it doesn't hold well enough to bond with Urethane.

I've had 3 FG bumpers on my G, they've been beaten up pretty good with rockchips. Not really any cracks though. Before, I had Urethane bodyparts for all my previous cars (integra and RSX).. Urethane can crack just like fiberglass. The probably I had with Urethane was it sagged, alot heavier, and if not painted correctly- it will flake. If you take your car out, know where you're going and know the roads. If it's a ****ty road, don't take the car or find an alternative route. If you can't get into the garage because the ramp is too high, find another and walk the distance/pay extra. Drive careful and everything is allll goooood lol.

If you daily drive, aftermarket bodykits are really not for you.

Last edited by Down_Shift; 11-27-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:13 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
i'm the opposite. Personally all urethane kits have treated me well. On my previous car, I had Urethane side skirts which a huge speed bump crushed but was still in good condition minus paint cracking. I also had a urethane front lip which bent in half because i hit curb in the parking lot.. It just bounced back in place. No cracks. It just needed repainting. If it was fiberglass, it would've probably cracked in half. I had a fiberglass rear bumper and somebody rear ended me. The result was that the bumper cracked and since fiberglass doesn't really flex.. it cracked in several different places like a ripple effect. Also, since the fiberglass doesn't flex, the mounting point actually bent my quarter panel a little bit.

If it was urethane, it would also probably cracked because of how strong the impact was but it would've absorbed the impact more (being it more flexible) not resulting my rear quarter to be damaged. Look at the stock rear bumper. It absorbs the impact resulting the bumper to have a dent rather than damaging multiple parts/mounting points around the rear bumper. It really take a lot to crack urethane unless it was a manufacture defect. I bet it takes as much money to have a shop repair a FG bumper than to buy a new urethane bumper unless you know how to do it yourself which most people can't here.. IMO

my current kuruma urethane front bumper is holding up great. no cracks, no paint chips, no peeling of any sort. It's been a year so far.

lets see a fg bumper do this....

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...6&d=1164338591

Last edited by accordfreak; 11-27-2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:43 AM
Fiberglass is very cheap and easy to repair. It does not cost the same price as a brand new urethane bumper to repair a fiberglass one. And for the price of that one urethane bumper, you could buy two in fiberglass...

Old 11-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BLacK_G35_CouPe
my authentic greddy is gettin beat up too...you can see the cracking where the side markers go...

dang, thats alot of rock chips!

Old 11-27-2006, 11:36 AM
No cracks in my authentic NISMO front, but I did encounter a high-top shoe on the road that was too tall for the bumper even at OEM ride-height. I have some hairline cracks in the paint at the point of impact... ...along with a few rock chips.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: kits cracking? lets be honest!