Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bosch Icon problem (now with pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Bosch Icon problem (now with pics) EDIT: NO!!! NOW WITH A FIX!!!

I posted a while ago about a problem with the Bosch Icon wipers.

The problem is that it leaves a big (at least 4"x4") uncleaned area, DIRECTLY in my path of vision. I'm talking RIGHT in front of my face. I tried bending the blade, no-go. All that did was create wiping problems in other areas. Then I bought another one, and so far haven't tried anything.

When I shut off the car with the wiper over that area, I can CLEARLY see that the wiper is well off of the glass, I'd say about 1.5mm, maybe more. It's almost as if the wiper arm spring isn't pulling the arm / blade onto the window with enough force. (Or, the wiper is bent so much, and is so "strong" that the ends of it are supporting the entire arm up off the glass)

Opinions on the resolution?

Resolution status: FOUND!!!

I swear my lower-left back pain I've been experiencing has been from me having to lean over to the side so I can see around the lake left on my windshield, I was not looking forward to driving home in the snow this evening. So, annoyed as f*ck while getting gas, I said "F it, I'm switching over to my backup blades" (I keep a $2.99 pair in the trunk just in case). But, you know... what else is there to do under the cover of a gas station canopy at 12:10am? I figured one more look at my problem wouldn't hurt.

So playing aroud with it, knowing that the problem is that the arm isn't pushing the center of the blade down, I was amazed at how much effort I had to exert to be able to get full contact. Humm. SO I figured, hey, screw it. I've already ruined two of these $18 blades, what's another? I was going to straighten almost all of the bend out of it and see what happened...

But wait! It takes almost no force to get the entire blade to contact the windshield when it's not attached to the wiper arm. Wiskey Tango Foxtrot? SO I put it back on there to find the problem~~~

Blasted endcaps!

Bosch put these honkering plastic endcaps on each end of the blade, and the one closest to the pivot point of the arm (closest to the left side of the vehicle when the wiper is at the home position) is so big that part of the arm rests on it! That part of the arm has low clearance because of the spring and the washer hose.

I ripped that beotch right off. It came off easily, just pried it off with a pocket knife.

The blade now lays down perfectly, and cleans incredibly.....

Last edited by G35 Mass; 03-20-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:26 AM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Icons as well, and for the most part it works really well. Right in my path of vision, I do get an extra amount of water as it is moving back to the resting position. Seems the water collects vertically in a thin strip. I think the wiper has extra pressure there and may be leaving a hint of residue, making the water stick to the window. My problem is no where near as severe as yours though.

Old 03-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Received 384 Likes on 196 Posts
Bump because it's now updated

Old 03-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Good detective work. I haven't seen the same problem with my Icons, but I'll keep it in mind.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Why do I bother to DIY???
Interesting find...I'll take a look!

Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great find bud. I just got the Rainx Latitudes and on my second one with the exact problem. I was ready to throw in the towel when I found this. Thanks!!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:10 PM

nice man, thats the worst when you buy nice wipers to just have them leaving streeks =0/

i just picked up some nice bosch excel blades and im loving them

Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I registered just to say thanks for posting the fix. It works perfectly with the Rain-X Latitudes on a 2004 G35 sedan.