Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Doubling Up On Tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Doubling Up On Tint

I got my 2006 G a month or so ago and within the first few days I had 15% put on all the windows but the WS. Now I want to have 5% on the windows. My question is: should I pay to have the tint removed then pay to have a single layer of 5% put on? or should I have a second layer of 15% put on? Or would a second layer of 10% be better?

Does anyone have 2 or more layers of tint on their windows? Experience any problems with it? peeling, bubbling etc..

yes i have read many threads about tinting the windshield but if you would like to also throw in your comment about that feel free. I am deciding between getting 50% and 40% on it. Any comments are welcome.

thanks for your suggestions/experiences/help

cam

Old 04-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Depends on the installer.

I had two layers before 5% 5% with no problems of peeling =)

- Eric

Old 04-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Banned
it's bette double up then have it remove.. it's will damage your defrog if and cost more money to get new one.. make sure you get the same film to double up.. recommend PROFESSIONAL install it!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 AM
I would recommend removing the tint you have on right now, and then re-tinting the car with a fresh roll of tint. Although there is nothing wrong with doubling up, your tint will be extremely dark if you add another layer of 15%. As far as removing the tint, your rear window defrosters will not be destroyed if you know what your doing when removing the film. I used to tint windows at a tint shop for 3 years and I've never once damaged a rear window by removing the tint. There are 2 ways to remove tint off a back window, the first way is to use a professional steamer to steam the tint off the glass. The steam softens the tint adhesive which allows you to simply peel the tint off the glass. The 2nd way is to use a black trashbag and soak the tint in soap/water mixture. Then you put the black bag on the tint from the inside of the car and leave the car in the sun for about 15-20 minutes. The sun will heat up the soap/water mixture, pretty much steaming the tint all in one shot. Where are you located? If you are in SoCal, I could help you remove your tint for alot less than a tint shop would charge.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by lov3rboy408
it's bette double up then have it remove.. it's will damage your defrog if and cost more money to get new one.. make sure you get the same film to double up.. recommend PROFESSIONAL install it!!!
Ive read many places that with the right person (someone who knows what they are doing) can remove the tint with no problems and not damage anything. He has many years under his belt and did a fantastic job on mine right now. He works at a real shop, so its not like one of my buddies who sort of know how to do it. My questions is, with all damages aside, would it be bad to double up. You say it isnt. Have you done it? Have any friends who have it? Any pics?

Originally Posted by jhu1011
I would recommend removing the tint you have on right now, and then re-tinting the car with a fresh roll of tint. Although there is nothing wrong with doubling up, your tint will be extremely dark if you add another layer of 15%. As far as removing the tint, your rear window defrosters will not be destroyed if you know what your doing when removing the film. I used to tint windows at a tint shop for 3 years and I've never once damaged a rear window by removing the tint. There are 2 ways to remove tint off a back window, the first way is to use a professional steamer to steam the tint off the glass. The steam softens the tint adhesive which allows you to simply peel the tint off the glass. The 2nd way is to use a black trashbag and soak the tint in soap/water mixture. Then you put the black bag on the tint from the inside of the car and leave the car in the sun for about 15-20 minutes. The sun will heat up the soap/water mixture, pretty much steaming the tint all in one shot. Where are you located? If you are in SoCal, I could help you remove your tint for alot less than a tint shop would charge.
Well if you want to fly out to NC that would be fine with me I personally wont take the tint off, I would have the guy at the FormulaOne shop do it.

I do want it to be dark, thats why I want 5%... Is there that much of a difference between having 2 layers of 15% and 1 layer of 5%? the "fresh roll" of tint, does that really matter? like my tint now has been on for maybe a month...

Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What state do you live in? If it's Cali, forget about doing it at 5%.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM
I am in North Carolina.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I made the same mistake and went with 20% on all windows. Didn't like it, was too light. So I payed again, minus $20 bucks to put 10% on all of them. Looks great, no one can see me.

You may have seen my post already in the picture share section which I posted not too long ago. Good luck!!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Sorry for the poor reply heres another one

If you double up on tint you better get a rear view camera, expect to see NOTHING during the dark when double tint in the back windows..

Double up is DARK. Also you do not need to go with the same brand film.

Removing the rear will not damage the defroster (you're not suppose to use the defroster anyways). Just take your time on it when removing =)

Old 04-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
Sorry for the poor reply heres another one

If you double up on tint you better get a rear view camera, expect to see NOTHING during the dark when double tint in the back windows..

Double up is DARK. Also you do not need to go with the same brand film.

Removing the rear will not damage the defroster (you're not suppose to use the defroster anyways). Just take your time on it when removing =)

thanks for your response. Im hoping someone who has done it before/has it on now will reply and let me know what they did. I havn't really looked into it, but how much are camera's and are they hard to install?

Since I have 15% on it, should i put another 15% or should i put 10% would there be mych of a difference.. price would be the same so im just asking if having a different % would matter...

Old 04-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned
less headache.. just remove the OLD TINT and put in the new one.. DONE DEAL.. SAVE MONEY NO NEED BACK UP CAMERA!!

Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
15% of (15%) = 0.0225% of light transmission lol, that sonbitch would be dark as hell, i did double 5% when i have my 240sx on the rear windows i loved it

Old 04-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by pbplayer148
thanks for your response. Im hoping someone who has done it before/has it on now will reply and let me know what they did. I havn't really looked into it, but how much are camera's and are they hard to install?

Since I have 15% on it, should i put another 15% or should i put 10% would there be mych of a difference.. price would be the same so im just asking if having a different % would matter...
^ It'll be the same from the outside..

I had 5% on 5% before (limo on limo) and loved it but just warning if your in reverse at night without any street lights.. prepared to get owned

Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
It will peel sooner or later...i did the same thing and it peeled. The way our windows and doors are designed it will start at the top of the window.

-Sean

Old 04-18-2008, 06:31 PM
ON
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
Depends on the installer.

I had two layers before 5% 5% with no problems of peeling =)

- Eric

i just don't understand you sometimes, eric. crazy boi.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Doubling Up On Tint