Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From experience, I've seen many customers come in demanding a replacement under warranty on their windshields. We take a look and discover that it was replaced with an aftermarket windshield 98% of the time, and this aftermarket windshield cracked for whatever reason (incorrectly installed, stress fracture, etc). All too often, we find out that that the glass is unsafe...

I've seen cars towed in with broken windshields... without safety glass...

I'm not a glass expert, nor do I claim to be. All I know is the OEM windshield has a 1.5"x1.5" part on the bottom left (again, from the inside of the car) that has multiple logos, certifications, and numbers, and I've seen aftermarket glass with NO logos whatsoever on it.

All I know is that if anything were to happen to my car, I will not take anything that is not OEM.

The OEM glass is ridiculously expensive, and I don't quite know why. A small premium, I can understand. When the premium is that large.... well...

Old 09-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti

From experience, I've seen many customers come in demanding a replacement under warranty on their windshields. We take a look and discover that it was replaced with an aftermarket windshield 98% of the time, and this aftermarket windshield cracked for whatever reason (incorrectly installed, stress fracture, etc). All too often, we find out that that the glass is unsafe...
An incorrectly installed W/S that breaks or stress crack has nothing to do with the quality of the glass.

I've seen cars towed in with broken windshields... without safety glass...
I find that hard to believe seeing that manufactures only make W/S out of safety glass not plate glass or tempered glass.

I'm not a glass expert, nor do I claim to be. All I know is the OEM windshield has a 1.5"x1.5" part on the bottom left (again, from the inside of the car) that has multiple logos, certifications, and numbers, and I've seen aftermarket glass with NO logos whatsoever on it.
All W/S have the manufactures logo and the D.O.T. logo that is all that matters, What other logos and certifications,numbers do you need to see?

All I know is that if anything were to happen to my car, I will not take anything that is not OEM.
That is your preference and that is fine.

The OEM glass is ridiculously expensive, and I don't quite know why. A small premium, I can understand. When the premium is that large.... well...
What isn't expensive at a dealership, But I've been doing W/S for years and I've seen a handful of W/S go for a high price from a dealer, and they were all high end cars.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bumping an old thread... i got quoted $300 for a new windshield from safelite.com. is this a fair quote? thanks.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by WhosRich
bumping an old thread... i got quoted $300 for a new windshield from safelite.com. is this a fair quote? thanks.
so did you get it?

if so, did u go to them or get mobile service. Did you watch them do it or just let them do their thing.
is it tinted at the top like the factory tint?

thx

Last edited by Texan1; 03-26-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mine replaced yesterday, seems identical to the oem glass (all black areas, tint) and I'm loving it. I can see out my dang windsheild now!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Texan1
so did you get it?

if so, did u go to them or get mobile service. Did you watch them do it or just let them do their thing.
is it tinted at the top like the factory tint?

thx
i didnt get it dont by safelite because it was like $300. instead, another member and i went to get it done by an insurance approved windshield shop for 140 each. it was supposed to be 220 normally but we had two cars so there was a discount.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Thanks^

Originally Posted by Billabongi
I got mine replaced yesterday, seems identical to the oem glass (all black areas, tint) and I'm loving it. I can see out my dang windsheild now!
from where?

how much?

any distortion?

PPG or Pilkington glass?

safelite said that any distortion is a defect, and they will replace it.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I had my windshield replaced back when I first bought the car..Stupid kids shot metal bb guns while I was driving and nearly shattered my windshield. Insurance paid for it. I got OEM still. Expensive. It'll hit you around $1000 starting. I'm afraid of aftermarket windshields after hearing some bad stories of them not sealing properly.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks^

from where?

how much?

any distortion?

PPG or Pilkington glass?

safelite said that any distortion is a defect, and they will replace it.

Local place called Glass America they have one in san antonio dont know if thats close to you but I was impressed. Arrived early had it done in about 45 minutes. Glass was identical to OEM from everything I could see (same tint at the top, same black edging)

It was replaced under insurance per Florida law so I didnt pay a dime.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:24 PM
anyone have experience with Pilkington glass?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:02 PM
^ What do you wanna know?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by WhosRich

I work for Safelite...They will price match but you didn't here that from me

Old 03-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by G35Ian
I work for Safelite...They will price match but you didn't here that from me
so, is it true that some of the PPG glass is distorted 1-2"s on the sides and bottom?

called safelite and they said that this is not normal and they would replace glass if that was the case. My thoughts are that they should not even put that shiit on in the first place.

do the tools used scrape the paint? I had a carmax gt mustang that was 1 yr old when I bought it; it had a windshield replaced with the previous owner--it later had rust on the top edge of the roof hidden under the seal and ford said it was the windshield replacement folks that scratched the paint 3-4 yrs earlier while changing w/s.

Is there a problem with flat spots, sealing, strength to support airbag deployment etc.

any advice for me.

I just got a star and 10" crack and want to replace economically, but with clear, strong, oem looking glass.

thx.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by Billabongi
Local place called Glass America they have one in san antonio dont know if thats close to you but I was impressed. Arrived early had it done in about 45 minutes. Glass was identical to OEM from everything I could see (same tint at the top, same black edging)

It was replaced under insurance per Florida law so I didnt pay a dime.
thx.........

Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 AM
so, is it true that some of the PPG glass is distorted 1-2"s on the sides and bottom?
When a W/S is made they are made say 50 at a time. So sometimes a CO. will get a bad batch of W/S...This happens with all brands, PPG is one of the better brands.

called safelite and they said that this is not normal and they would replace glass if that was the case. My thoughts are that they should not even put that shiit on in the first place.
They should have picked up on it your right but I can't speak for every employee.

do the tools used scrape the paint? I had a carmax gt mustang that was 1 yr old when I bought it; it had a windshield replaced with the previous owner--it later had rust on the top edge of the roof hidden under the seal and ford said it was the windshield replacement folks that scratched the paint 3-4 yrs earlier while changing w/s.
Yes the paint will get scratched there is no getting around that, However corrective actions will be made when this happens...I.E. pinch well primer to prevent rust.

Is there a problem with flat spots, sealing, strength to support airbag deployment etc.
I have never heard of that actually happening.

any advice for me.

I just got a star and 10" crack and want to replace economically, but with clear, strong, oem looking glass.

thx.
My advice is to ask questions about everything...The process,The Tech working on your car,The glass(ask to see the glass before they even work on your car) If your not sure of something ask a question.

Let me know How you make out...G/L

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement