Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by G35Ian
When a W/S is made they are made say 50 at a time. So sometimes a CO. will get a bad batch of W/S...This happens with all brands, PPG is one of the better brands.

They should have picked up on it your right but I can't speak for every employee.

Yes the paint will get scratched there is no getting around that, However corrective actions will be made when this happens...I.E. pinch well primer to prevent rust.

I have never heard of that actually happening.

My advice is to ask questions about everything...The process,The Tech working on your car,The glass(ask to see the glass before they even work on your car) If your not sure of something ask a question.

Let me know How you make out...G/L
Hey, thx

sure will.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:03 AM
SoG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my windshield replaced with Safelite in San Francisco over 1.5 years ago due to a crack that I caused (VERY STUPID MISTAKE while doing some work and I don't want to talk about).

I have a pretty high insurance premium $1000 so the allure of Safelite was their approx $260 total replacement cost.

Before they worked on the car I asked about OEM glass and they told me "we only use OEM parts." I should have got it in writing though...

The install was quick and the glass looked perfect as promised but a day later I noticed a billion spots inside and outside of the car with a hard black substance (the dried glue) that had gone everywhere! Luckily it didn't dry on anything but the glass so I spent the next month slowly cleaning up the extra residue... Also during that month I drove the same roads I'd driven for the entire first year I owned the car. Keep in mind these roads have been under construction about before my first window crack (the one I caused). To make a long story short my original glass never had so much as a nick and within weeks this replaced glass had more dings than China has tea!

I dealt with it as I was still mad at myself about causing the initial window break... but low and behold all those dings and then finally… the cheap piece of S*** they used as a replacement part cracked in an entirely different spot. I was driving while this happened but nothing hit the window. It seemed like a stress fracture but when I took the car back to the very same shop their sophisticated tools (a BLUE BALLPOINT PEN) traced the crack to an impact point and I was denied a "faulty install" replacement. I was going to get it fixed then and there, I asked the OEM question expecting the same answer but NOPE… instead they told me OEM glass is 4x as expensive. I called the dealership that I take my car to for all the checkups and services and they quoted me about $1100 + some $60 cowlings.

SO I argued with the guy about the OEM and he said that was never the case …

I have been driving around for about 8 months with a crack and feeling like a dunce as I should have known better about this whole ordeal. Recently, that crack continued to fisher and before I regret this whole situation even more I am looking to get a REAL installer to put in OEM glass and I'm going to watch him like a HAWK.

Does anyone know a trustworthy and reliable installer in the San Francisco bay area?

Old 06-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Originally Posted by G35Ian
When a W/S is made they are made say 50 at a time. So sometimes a CO. will get a bad batch of W/S...This happens with all brands, PPG is one of the better brands.

They should have picked up on it your right but I can't speak for every employee.

Yes the paint will get scratched there is no getting around that, However corrective actions will be made when this happens...I.E. pinch well primer to prevent rust.

I have never heard of that actually happening.

My advice is to ask questions about everything...The process,The Tech working on your car,The glass(ask to see the glass before they even work on your car) If your not sure of something ask a question.

Let me know How you make out...G/L
It went well, thanks for your help:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...***-again.html

Last edited by Texan1; 06-27-2009 at 05:15 PM.