Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Have you gotten tickets for having 35% window tint on your front windows. (In CA)
Yes
33.93%
No
66.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

35% front window tint CA, have you gotten a ticket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Here's the thing, cops won't really pull you over for tint. They'll pull you over for something else, maybe if you're suspicious, and say it's for tint. Why? They'll use any excuse to pull you over if they want to make sure things are ok or to see if you will admit to any mistakes so they can write you up a ticket for it.

From what I remember, you are not allowed to have tint on the front windows and this is because an officer got shot, maybe killed, when he pulled over someone and couldnt see what was goin on inside the car. Also, when getting pulled over, roll down the windows and turn on the lights inside the car so the officer can see.

However, I think I read a few months ago on DMV's website that 70% or a lil more than that, of light must pass through the front windows.

Here is a website with the info to the legal tint in CA: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

Old 05-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donpisto

Here is a website with the info to the legal tint in CA: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/
Yes but that is from a website that promotes tinting.

Here is the info from the CHP Website ( http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html ):

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

It is not the California DMV but since the CHP writes the tickets, it matters what they are going to allow.

The DMV website is of course very confusing and seems to allow 88% tinting for the purposes of reducing UV rays. That seems to go along with the exepmtion paragraph above. The reason some sites say 70% is allowed as the DMV sites talks about glazing and tinting not being more than 70%. What I personally read, is that the glazing is considered the stock coloring that may or may not be in your cars windows. So if your window are factory tinted to 70% you can add no more, and if your windows are not factory tinted, then you can only add 88% tint.

Last edited by drewbp; 05-28-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 35 all around and never had a problem. You just have to know when to roll them down.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I got limo tints in the back. and 70% in the front.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had my windows tinted for 3 yrs and got a ticket last month for them. I had 35% all around. It was the end of the month so i think the Highway patrol needed to make his quota. He saw me at a red light and as soon as the signal light turned green for me he got right behind me and flipped on the lights. $25 dollar fix it ticket. Retinting them next week.