Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Plasti dip diffuser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty50
Ya caught me lol
diffuser looks nice btw. and i have to add to the above advice.... if you pull the tape off while its still wet, youll get a nice clean line. i had to spray the rubber trim at the bottom of my window due to an egg eating away at the finish and i taped off, sprayed, and removed the tape right away and it came out great

Old 12-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by erklep
diffuser looks nice btw. and i have to add to the above advice.... if you pull the tape off while its still wet, youll get a nice clean line. i had to spray the rubber trim at the bottom of my window due to an egg eating away at the finish and i taped off, sprayed, and removed the tape right away and it came out great
Thank you very much, the effort to make the diffuser was def a good reward. I'll tape it up and respray sometime this week and peel it off right away.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
when i did my window trim before i pulled the tape off i took a razor blade and cut all the way around the edge of the window trim so it would seperate the tape from the plasti dip that i wanted to stay

Old 12-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah mine turned out exactly like yours, I just went back and instead of doing the separation at the crevice, I did it at the edge where the bumper begins to dip into the crevice (if that makes sense?)

Mask everything but the little crevice and spray it over, that's what I did, you can't really tell it's messed up without getting MAD close.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Whats up man, I think Im the one you got the idea from.. Yeah to get a clean line, do what you did then tape the strait line back on after, go over the spots with a heavy coat to replicate 2-3 coats and peel off the tape while its still wet.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Great work!!

-WoW

Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For all those people suggesting to take the tape off while the plasti dip is still wet:
Is this tip for the last coat or do this after each coating? That seems like a lot of work..

Also, has anyone used plasti dip as primer then painted over it with glossy black for the rear diffuser? I know some people have done this for rims and it comes out glossy as oposed to the standard plasti dip finish - matte. Any pics of glossy diffuser? Preferences?

Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by stabadus
For all those people suggesting to take the tape off while the plasti dip is still wet:
Is this tip for the last coat or do this after each coating? That seems like a lot of work..

Also, has anyone used plasti dip as primer then painted over it with glossy black for the rear diffuser? I know some people have done this for rims and it comes out glossy as oposed to the standard plasti dip finish - matte. Any pics of glossy diffuser? Preferences?
has to be done for each coat if youre applying multiple coats. the reason for pulling the tape while its wet is so it doesnt form a rubber layer from the vehicle to the tape. either pull it after each layer or score it with a razor before you pull the tape after the final coat.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by erklep
has to be done for each coat if youre applying multiple coats. the reason for pulling the tape while its wet is so it doesnt form a rubber layer from the vehicle to the tape. either pull it after each layer or score it with a razor before you pull the tape after the final coat.
Scoring it with a razor before pulling the tape after the final coat seems more practical, I'm pretty sure I'd get the wet plasti dip everywhere.

Thanks