Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Jdm vs. Metra double din kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please take a picture theory

Old 05-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that JDM pic is saying
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /images/install/26.jpg on this server.
anybody have a close up pic of it like the metra kit up there?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:30 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 237 Likes on 148 Posts
here is the Double Din JDM prior to install

Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So does the jdm kit loose the split driver/passenger control

Old 05-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garage Kansai
So does the jdm kit loose the split driver/passenger control
The JDM kit doesn't come with it installed but if you can find the right installer or follow one of the guides here on the forums you can remove it from your old A/C controller and resolder it on to the new one. Here'e a pic of the JDM dash kit with the dual climate control button.

I had mine done at Beach Autosound in Huntington Beach.

Attached Thumbnails Jdm vs. Metra double din kit?-photo.jpg  
Old 05-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The plastic on the Metra kit is cheap. The screws that hold the top plastic tab, which screws in under the clock, is very flimsy. The fitment is OK but not perfect. And the worst aesthetic issue I found was with the vertical plastic pieces on the outer ends of the A/C vents. I have the silver trim with black dashboard. The stock pieces on the radio kit are black (look at JDM pics) and the Metra is silver. It looks dumb to have the black A/C vent | a silver strip | black dashboard. The silver paint matched OK but it was a tad darker in some spots.

The actual A/C buttons didn’t bother me terribly. What was annoying is that every couple of minutes all of the led’s on the buttons would flash. It wasn’t very bright but annoying nonetheless.

Given I had the problems with the screws not holding great I decided to put a dab of loctite blue (not the heavy duty product) on each screw. After I was complete my forearm brushed against the top mounting tab and it fell off. The loctite disintegrated the plastic. The A/C controls and the top storage compartment just fell out. Now I’ve used this loctite on plenty of plastics such as R/C car pieces. Not once did it ever eat plastic like this. The funny part is that the plastic tabs on the storage compartment were not affected at all and they did get loctite on them.

Oh well, I can’t blame the loctite issue on the kit itself since it was my fault. Just be aware that you cannot use loctite on this plastic.

Since all of the screw holes were screwed I was out of luck and couldn’t use that kit. If it weren’t for this issue I would have stuck with the Metra kit even if it wasn’t perfect. I tried to save a few bucks by using the Metra kit but ended up wasting about $150 as I purchased the JDM version from Phil now.