Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

for all the cars with body kits out there

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for all the cars with body kits out there

hey guys, I see an abundance of cars with body kits on them from kenstyle to top secret..well my question is how do you keep your kit clean from chips etc...
does any out there use paint protection film on their body kits..would it hurt the paint job in any way?i mean i am thinking of buying a kenstyle authentic..I live in NY..roads are bad..i am planning on buying the 3m paint protection film which is 8mil thick....but still how does everyone else do it..do you use these films and cut out sections and put them on your front lower portion of the kit and the ends of the sides and the bottom of the rear..those places that are suceptible to rocks and chips?especially show cars how do you do it..just not frive the car at all?switch bumpers for show and one for daily drive?of those who bring their car to shows..do you get frowned upon if you have paint film on it..because I guess its somewhat visible when a judge walks up close to inspect your car..or does everyone here wing it...all feedback is good.i mean i am trying to build a showcar...but I also drive the car once in a awhile..how do i keep that paint looking fresh and clean?

Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 PM
after you get it painted wait for about a month and slap on a clear bra, either get it installed professionally so it will look clean or just do it your self and just put some on the lower part where you might scrap alot. If you want to really keep it clean, i would let the pro install a clear bra on the entire front (bumper, hood, fenders, side mirror) coz you'll end up getting those chip and scratch on daily driving...

Old 03-29-2006, 10:57 PM
If your gonna be showing the car as a daily driver you shouldn't really have the problem with the judges. I have an MR2 dedicated show car and a bra on that would be a different story. But like AthenG said wait at least a month to apply it so that you don't mess up the paint. Also some times, when living in the city, you just can't help cracks or scratches. I had mine re-painted twise in a year and a half and the second time i had it painted i had the corner of the bumper repaired. I Have a Greddy Bumper which is a little lower compared to a Kenstyle though.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:23 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
repaint

Old 03-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Depends on the bumper. My Nismo bumper got destroyed the first day I took it on the highway, on the way to get it clear bra'd. Had to get it repainted and I carried the bumper to get bra'd inside the car this time.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:03 AM
so if I got clearbra professionally installed..they will make precise cuts for my kenstyle front bumper?

also G35MR2, you said "If your gonna be showing the car as a daily driver you shouldn't really have the problem with the judges. " at car shows there is a daily driver class?i am new to this...i want to do the whole kenstyle kit but I live in NY and I am also worried that I will get chips and scratches...I just dont want to do all teh work to make it a show car and then find out that at car shows judges would frown on me when they see scratches and chips...

any places in NYC metro area that install?

Old 03-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Ohio G Club Member
I have the KS kit and decided against a clear bra. It would of been at least $500 locally for the custom fit with no edges showing. I'll just repaint it every couple years.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 04Gwhiz
so if I got clearbra professionally installed..they will make precise cuts for my kenstyle front bumper?

any places in NYC metro area that install?
Yes. You need to find a custom clear bra installer that doesn't use kits. It will cost you an arm and a leg though for the custom work. Also make sure they wrap the edges.

Give Thomas at www.se-ex.com a call/email. He did the custom work on my nismo. NYC/Northern NJ area.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:44 PM
THE BATMOBILE
repaint every few years