Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Very nice, I may have to do this too.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elrooko
From what I have seen, the premium switches have the bluetooth phone buttons instead of the mode and power buttons. They may have dual purposes (i.e. the computer still uses them for power and mode) or there may be another switch somewhere that controls it...not sure. Anyone have a picture of the premium switches.

Here you go

Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel lights in '04 Coupe- EASY-dsc01882.jpg  
Old 09-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just an update guys - took my lower dash apart and got out my handy dandy volt meter. I am planning on powering the steering wheel lights using the VDC button's 12V led power wire. I figured out that the 4th wire in connector has 12V on it when the interior lights are on and confirmed the black wire is a ground. The connector has 8 slots I think but only 4 have wires in them and the LED power wire is the last of the 4 wires in the middle of the connector.

I looked that the now famous grey plug under the steering column and confirmed that there is 2 empty spots right where AccordFreak said. These should line up to the 12V power for the Steering lights and the ground if I'm not mistaken.

I'm going to pick up some vampire splices and splice into these 2 wires on the VDC button and run them into the grey connector. I'm going to try to find some simple female connectors that I can insert into the 2 empty connections to run the 12V and ground. This should save me from cutting any wires on the new steering wheel controls (which I really wanted to avoid to keep this simple).

Hope this helps - AccordFreak, can you confirm that this is what you did?

Old 09-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
^ GREAT update ELROOKO,

Once you get everything up and running smoothly, let me know if you need any help piece milling any pictures you took and some document write-up's (jotted down notes) and I can assist (if needed) w/ the overall creation of the "Steering Column Light Up Controls" D.I.Y.

Schweet!!!

We ALL owe you big time for this and ALL other members that will be helping with this new D.I.Y.!!!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 09-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Just an update guys - took my lower dash apart and got out my handy dandy volt meter. I am planning on powering the steering wheel lights using the VDC button's 12V led power wire. I figured out that the 4th wire in connector has 12V on it when the interior lights are on and confirmed the black wire is a ground. The connector has 8 slots I think but only 4 have wires in them and the LED power wire is the last of the 4 wires in the middle of the connector.

I looked that the now famous grey plug under the steering column and confirmed that there is 2 empty spots right where AccordFreak said. These should line up to the 12V power for the Steering lights and the ground if I'm not mistaken.

I'm going to pick up some vampire splices and splice into these 2 wires on the VDC button and run them into the grey connector. I'm going to try to find some simple female connectors that I can insert into the 2 empty connections to run the 12V and ground. This should save me from cutting any wires on the new steering wheel controls (which I really wanted to avoid to keep this simple).

Pics please !

Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I was only aware of 1 slot being open. in any case, you can ground the ground wire in the steering wheel instead of the headache of routing two wires through the gray connector.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by accordfreak
I was only aware of 1 slot being open. in any case, you can ground the ground wire in the steering wheel instead of the headache of routing two wires through the gray connector.
So how did you connect the wire onto the gray harness? What type of female connection did you use?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Never gone
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmm . . . this looks pretty cool. I might have to hit up David (accordfreak) to help me out with this one.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So how did you connect the wire onto the gray harness? What type of female connection did you use?
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive.

Elrooko, you can figure out the answer to your question by taking apart the connector from your old steering wheel switches. You'll see that you can remove each wire from the old switch. Just cut one of the wires off the old switch and splice it into your wire that your pulling your light source power from. I highly recommend soldering the wires together, they are very small and any type of crimp-on-connector won't last long.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by accordfreak
Accordfreak is correct about the ground. See the picture on post #9 and you can see the ground wire I made up with a small eyelet connector that is screwed to the steering wheel.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Daehtihs
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still alive.

Elrooko, you can figure out the answer to your question by taking apart the connector from your old steering wheel switches. You'll see that you can remove each wire from the old switch. Just cut one of the wires off the old switch and splice it into your wire that your pulling your light source power from. I highly recommend soldering the wires together, they are very small and any type of crimp-on-connector won't last long.

Good luck.
Thanks, didn't think to use the connector from the old switches. Will give this a shot.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Over the hump

You were right, the wires are really small. I soldered the new wire from the old steering wheel controls into the VDC LED current wire and I have 12V on the 3rd pin on the clock spring hub when the lights are on and 0V when the lights are off. I think I'm over the hump now.

I'll put everything back together tomorrow and post a followup when I get everything done.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Success!!

Got it all working perfectly this morning. Looks awesome. Now that I have done this once, to do it again would take about 45 minutes to an hour. I'll start working on the DIY tonight.

Thanks all, way to go team!!

Old 09-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats!

Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Got it all working perfectly this morning. Looks awesome. Now that I have done this once, to do it again would take about 45 minutes to an hour. I'll start working on the DIY tonight.

Thanks all, way to go team!!
A.W.E.S.O.M.E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to EVERYONE for helping make this happen (noteably: Daehtihs, Elrooko, AccordFreak).

I'm really looking forward to doing this mod!

A soon to be "D.I.Y" for everyone to utilize and enjoy! - I can NOT wait to do this!!!!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel lights in '04 Coupe- EASY