Notices

our leather seats suck~!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37
Originally Posted by Texasscout
I have had mine over 3 years now with no problems at all. Now I do clean and condition them three or four times a year. No cracks and only slight wrinkles.

BTW, this is no "Garage Queen" either, it sits out in the scorching sun all day nine months out of the year.

I know this is extremely late but can you share what product you use?

Old 04-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by Zakdotovo
Meguires Leather cleaner and their Leather conditioner.

I do have a rip in the passengers seat now. Poor G, we haven't driven her in over 3 years.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:02 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,157 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by Zakdotovo
I use Pinnacle leather cleaner, followed by Pinnacle leather conditioner, followed by 303 aerospace protectant.

3-4 times per year, no leather issues but I did file down the metal on the seat that causes the rip.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:10 PM
G37
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Meguires Leather cleaner and their Leather conditioner.

I do have a rip in the passengers seat now. Poor G, we haven't driven her in over 3 years.
Thank you for the response! Do they do a good job in filling wrinkles/cracks? Poor G, why has it been sitting for so long? Haha

Old 04-24-2020, 07:11 PM
G37
Originally Posted by cleric670
I use Pinnacle leather cleaner, followed by Pinnacle leather conditioner, followed by 303 aerospace protectant.

3-4 times per year, no leather issues but I did file down the metal on the seat that causes the rip.
Thank you, have you tried meguiars or chemical guys? Those are some others I’ve heard of, debating which to get.

Old 04-24-2020, 09:30 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
From my experience the best thing to do with severely neglected leather interior is to NOT SIT IN THEM until you get a lot of treatment products back on it.

Leather is leather is leather, you don't wear boots that are dried out without treating them or they crack, same with jackets, gloves. Same with your leather seats.

For boots, jackets, gloves, belts etc the best product on the market is Obenaufs LP. I don't really recommend it for the seats of your car because it has bees wax in it and it's going to get on your clothes.

Car seats are the tricky ones because the product needs to be light enough that it doesn't transfer a noticeable amount off onto your clothing, but just like other leather stuff it's going to crack BADLY once it's getting flexed/stretched/bent around from you sitting on the seats.

Regardless of what product you use the most important thing is to get a leather conditioner on it RIGHT NOW, I would just go down to an auto parts house and buy whatever leather treatment they have off the shelf. Use it 2 times a week for a month just to get those seats protected with SOMETHING.

The 303 aerospace protectant is excellent for a top finish UV protective coating, I don't think you'll find a single person who doesn't sing praise for that product. As for the Meguiars v. Chemical Guys, pick the one that smells the best, personally that's why I went with Pinnacle.

Every. Single. Person. who has ever sat in my car has complimented the interior and asked what I use. I think I wrote a post a couple years ago about my preferred interior treatment, I'll try to dig it up.

EDIT: Found it.
https://g35driver.com/forums/care-de...ml#post7114051

Last edited by cleric670; 04-24-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:56 PM
G37
From my experience the best thing to do with severely neglected leather interior is to NOT SIT IN THEM until you get a lot of treatment products back on it.

Leather is leather is leather, you don't wear boots that are dried out without treating them or they crack, same with jackets, gloves. Same with your leather seats.

For boots, jackets, gloves, belts etc the best product on the market is Obenaufs LP. I don't really recommend it for the seats of your car because it has bees wax in it and it's going to get on your clothes.

Car seats are the tricky ones because the product needs to be light enough that it doesn't transfer a noticeable amount off onto your clothing, but just like other leather stuff it's going to crack BADLY once it's getting flexed/stretched/bent around from you sitting on the seats.

Regardless of what product you use the most important thing is to get a leather conditioner on it RIGHT NOW, I would just go down to an auto parts house and buy whatever leather treatment they have off the shelf. Use it 2 times a week for a month just to get those seats protected with SOMETHING.

The 303 aerospace protectant is excellent for a top finish UV protective coating, I don't think you'll find a single person who doesn't sing praise for that product. As for the Meguiars v. Chemical Guys, pick the one that smells the best, personally that's why I went with Pinnacle.

Every. Single. Person. who has ever sat in my car has complimented the interior and asked what I use. I think I wrote a post a couple years ago about my preferred interior treatment, I'll try to dig it up.

EDIT: Found it.
https://g35driver.com/forums/care-de...ml#post7114051
Thank you for the detailed response, my friend gave me some leftover meguiars and I’ve applied whatever was left of the conditioner. I’ve not heard much of pinnacle but will give it a try, is this the one you use?
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-24-2020, 10:32 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yep that's the stuff.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:53 PM
G37
Yep that's the stuff.
Thank you! Is this the 303 I’m supposed to
use ?
Amazon Amazon

Old 04-25-2020, 12:14 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yep, the 32 oz bottle will go a LONG way. Basically I use it as the very last step for my interior, everything except the clear plastic for instrumentation and stereo gets a wipedown with it, EVERYTHING, dash, seats, door panels, seatbelts, everything.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:36 PM
G37
Yep, the 32 oz bottle will go a LONG way. Basically I use it as the very last step for my interior, everything except the clear plastic for instrumentation and stereo gets a wipedown with it, EVERYTHING, dash, seats, door panels, seatbelts, everything.
I see, how long do you wait to use 303 after conditioner?

Old 04-25-2020, 12:47 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
After everything else is done I go straight to the 303. Spray it on a fresh towel, start wiping down the stuff that was previously done.

Typically I clean the dash/console/doors first with their stuff.
Then the front leather and vacuum the floors.
Then move to the back, wipe down the side panels, same product as the dash.
Next is the rear leather.
Now I go back to the front, go through the whole process again wiping everything down with the 303, work my way through the entire car to the rear.

Finish up doing the glass, mirrors, cluster, stereo.

Always spray product onto a clean towel, never directly onto the surface you are cleaning, fold the towel up twice and refold every time a section is looking dirty, typically takes only 1 towel per chemical. HOWEVER I don't let the car get dirty, it gets cleaned once a month so if it's really thrashed on the inside you might go through 3-4x as many towels. I like these ones, they're cheap thin microfiber and work great for everything. I just toss them in the washing machine when I'm done and reuse them, at 50 towels for $20 it's SUPER cost effective, toss them when they start getting worn.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DV2OJYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DV2OJYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-25-2020, 02:10 PM
G37
After everything else is done I go straight to the 303. Spray it on a fresh towel, start wiping down the stuff that was previously done.

Typically I clean the dash/console/doors first with their stuff.
Then the front leather and vacuum the floors.
Then move to the back, wipe down the side panels, same product as the dash.
Next is the rear leather.
Now I go back to the front, go through the whole process again wiping everything down with the 303, work my way through the entire car to the rear.

Finish up doing the glass, mirrors, cluster, stereo.

Always spray product onto a clean towel, never directly onto the surface you are cleaning, fold the towel up twice and refold every time a section is looking dirty, typically takes only 1 towel per chemical. HOWEVER I don't let the car get dirty, it gets cleaned once a month so if it's really thrashed on the inside you might go through 3-4x as many towels. I like these ones, they're cheap thin microfiber and work great for everything. I just toss them in the washing machine when I'm done and reuse them, at 50 towels for $20 it's SUPER cost effective, toss them when they start getting worn.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thank you once again! How long do you wait for the conditioner to work before applying 303?

Old 04-25-2020, 03:23 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I don't wait, basically as soon as I get to that point I just go straight to the 303. If you always work the same direction through the car like LF-RF-LR-RR then by the time you get back to the left front seat it's ready.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:59 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Not any more. In the past leather seats were pure leather. Leather in cars today are a bonding of a VERY thin leather and a backing fabric. I think this is why I dries out so fast.

The following users liked this post:
cleric670 (04-26-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: our leather seats suck~!!