Notices

unique shift knob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you guys having trouble with that caused you to scratch up the shift ****? I was able to remove the old **** and tighten the new one by hand, would yours not turn? Sucks to hear they got marked up...

Old 12-12-2005, 04:49 PM
My arm would've twisted off first before the **** would even move.
Originally Posted by UFGatorG35
What are you guys having trouble with that caused you to scratch up the shift ****? I was able to remove the old **** and tighten the new one by hand, would yours not turn? Sucks to hear they got marked up...

Old 12-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by UFGatorG35
I had the same problem this weekend Partly my own fault, the tools I used had large teeth, so they went through the rags I was using. Although it would have been nice to be able to twist it off by hand. It needed at least 3 full turns with the tools before it was loose enough to turn by hand.

New one is awesome, much better feel, smoother shifting, seems easier to locate gears. Great job Clint !!

Later.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL . . . Okay, I don't fell so bad, now. I dinged up my OEM **** while removing it, as well. I use a large pair of adjustable pliers with a towel wrapped around the ****. Yet, I still managed to scuff up my OEM ****.

Upon removing the OEM ****, I noticed a fair amount of a dried blue liquid lock tight substance. I had to have someone hold onto the vise grips, which were gripped onto the shifter shaft, as I tried to turn the OEM ****. It took many turns before I could remove the **** by hand, as well.

The bright side of all this is that . . . The THX-SS **** looks GREAT!

Old 12-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by andy2434
LOL . . . Okay, I don't fell so bad, now. I dinged up my OEM **** while removing it, as well. I use a large pair of adjustable pliers with a towel wrapped around the ****. Yet, I still managed to scuff up my OEM ****.

Upon removing the OEM ****, I noticed a fair amount of a dried blue liquid lock tight substance. I had to have someone hold onto the vise grips, which were gripped onto the shifter shaft, as I tried to turn the OEM ****. It took many turns before I could remove the **** by hand, as well.

The bright side of all this is that . . . The THX-SS **** looks GREAT!
Andy
Can somebody post a picture of this ****.
I don't have the time to read this whole thread.
I need to be out in the garage installing some innovating Motordyne Engineering Item's.
You know you will get that PM from me when the time is right. Pasta

Old 12-12-2005, 08:21 PM
I've posted some pictures a few post up... just scroll up and you'll see it!

Old 12-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Pasta,

Yes, see David's (Fini) post #98. He did a great job with pics. It's a wonderfully designed and built shift ****. Clint did a great job with shift ****. The pics do the shift **** no real justice.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Florida G35 Club
Pasta,

Yes, see David's (Fini) post #98. He did a great job with pics. It's a wonderfully designed and built shift ****. Clint did a great job with shift ****. The pics do the shift **** no real justice.
Wow!
looks great. thanks. Clint good job.

Old 12-12-2005, 10:14 PM
G Kreuzer
Thanks Pasta and the others!

Those hoping to catch one last opportunity for these ***** should check w. Sharif at My350Z.com, here: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158133

I'm shocked to read of all these brutalities trying to take the oem **** off. Eeesh!!!

It really shouldn't be that trammatic at all. Soaplag just came by the other day and I was able to pull his oem **** and install the THX-SS **** all in less than 3 minutes using only my two bare hands and a vice grip that he was holding. That was the very first '05 I've performed the procedure on ... and it was absolutely no different than the '03/'04s I've worked with. Yes, it is extremely tight, but it does come off. heh heh!

Old 12-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by THX723

Those hoping to catch one last opportunity for these ***** should check w. Sharif at My350Z.com, here: http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158133

I'm shocked to read of all these brutalities trying to take the oem **** off. Eeesh!!!

It really shouldn't be that trammatic at all. Soaplag just came by the other day and I was able to pull his oem **** and install the THX-SS **** all in less than 3 minutes using only my two bare hands and a vice grip that he was holding. That was the very first '05 I've performed the procedure on ... and it was absolutely no different than the '03/'04s I've worked with. Yes, it is extremely tight, but it does come off. heh heh!
Clint
Is I true that you get that extra strength by doing 12 oz curls after popping the top of your favorite beverage?

Old 12-12-2005, 11:53 PM
G Kreuzer
Especially ones that are tagged "New Castle"

Old 12-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Great Shift ****

Thanks for the help in installing the ****...didn't have a vise gip so it would have probably taken me a long time...I'm diggin the ****...like the weight, feel...had a chance to check out an aluminium Razo **** the other day, and it was too light for my taste...had some people try out my car and they liked the feel...thanks again for the help...maybe i'll see you at one of those meets in chino.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks fro the heads up Clint,

I got mine ordered. How does the shifter console cover come off? Just pull up?

Old 12-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by RBull
Thanks fro the heads up Clint,

I got mine ordered. How does the shifter console cover come off? Just pull up?
Yes, Deane . . . Simply grab the rear of the console below the shifter boot and pull. Pop! It comes right out. The ash tray and e-light switch is all connected to this assembly.

Hint: Leave your shifter in "Neutral" for an easier install, if it is possible.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, Deane . . . Simply grab the rear of the console below the shifter boot and pull. Pop! It comes right out. The ash tray and e-light switch is all connected to this assembly.

Hint: Leave your shifter in "Neutral" for an easier install, if it is possible.
Thanks Andy. This shifter looks like a great piece. Does it make a difference with the throws since it is smaller than the original?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: unique shift knob