Notices

LED under glove box/steering wheel help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
Need Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont know what I am doing wrong???

I splice the PURPLE/RED & RED/BLACK wires to the wires that lead up to the inverter.... but the CCFL tubes dont even light up?!? WHY?!

The CCFL package came with different wires like the ones your suppose to connect to computers.. I just cut those off and used the wires that were connected to a on and off switch and the end of it was connected to the inverter... I just used those to connect to the BCM wires... But its not lighting up? why?!?!?

PLEASE HELP =[

Old 06-13-2008, 02:56 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you connect the + ccfl wire to the red/black and the - ccfl wire to the purple/red?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the same thing, he did and got nothing...
They dont light up....right now my car is in the shop
but when it come out I will try it again....
I did what the pics says and + and - and all...

Old 06-17-2008, 03:13 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
I did everything the guide on this thread told me to. I have the red wire connected to the red/black wire and the black wire connected to the purple/red wire.... and nothing came on?

I striped the insul off the red/black & purple/red wire and just connected the -/+ wires and twisted it and tapped it up with electrical tape. connected the car battery and open the doors and nothing worked?

I seriously am getting sad =[ NEED SOME HELP.

here is a pic of how the CCFL is setup

Old 06-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Algy, look at the attached image on how to route the wires from the dome console.

Attached Thumbnails LED under glove box/steering wheel help-ccff_wires.jpg  
Old 09-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, I did this mod and have an on/off switch connected, but here is my trouble:

1.) The lights will NOT operate when the car is on and I'm driving.

What did I do wrong? For what I want (Running the lights while I'm driving the car), should I move my TAP to some other set of wires in our BCM.

Please help guys!

Thanks!
-WoW

Old 09-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
WhiteOnWheat, you could tap one of your cigarette lighters to power your CCFL's and ground it to the chassis... that will give you power as long as your car is in the accessory position or fully on... you could then install an inline switch to turn them off if you choose to do so...

alternatively, you could wire them directly to the battery, and install the same in-line switch so you can have them on whenever you want, and off whenever you want.

Also, best place I've found to get lights is www.oznium.com <-- they're VERY inexpensive

Old 09-19-2008, 06:09 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by johnnydarko
OK! So I'm not sure what to do next. I cut the wires from the pictures and connected the led wires. The LEDs turns on and work like they are supposed to.

HOWEVER they aren't as bright as they are supposed to be.
you might've bought low output LED's...

AND when I put neon lights to replace the LEDs, they didn't work at all.

Both the leds and neons where supposed to connect to the 12v via the cigarette lighter.
Neons require a high voltage transformer, sounds like you skipped it... also, Neons are NOT CCFL's .. they are entirely different... from here on out, I will continue to explain things based on "neons" and NOT CCFL's

1. Was I supposed to cut the wires on the LEDs and put one on the negative and one on the positive?
By 'cut' if you mean 'strip' then yes.. and LED's are diode's, which only allow electricity to flow through one way... there's an Anode and a Cathode...

when looking at the LED:
the metal piece inside of the plastic housing that is SMALLER is the ANODE and is POSITIVE (+)...

the metal piece inside of the plastic housing that is BIGGER is the CATHODE and is NEGATIVE (-)

Each will have a lead wire running from it... attach them accordingly..

2. Why won't the neons work when the LEDs did?
Sounds like you skipped the transformer :-/

3. Am I supposed to use a inverter to channel more power to the lights?
No, but it IS necessary to have it there for your CCFL's (CCFL's are NOT neons)

4. Whats a inverter?
it's used to convert DC (direct current - flows in 1 direction) to AC (alternating current -push/pull direction) which is what CCFL's Need in order to illuminate...

and what kind am I supposed to use to power 2 10in neons and 2 6in LEDs?
Your Inverter should be the same one that came with the CCFL's or Neon's... you typically shouldn't swap these out...

LED's do NOT require an inverter, and will NOT WORK PROPERLY (OR AT ALL) if you DO use one...

Good luck =]

Old 09-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had similar problems with this mod. I attached my wired to both the negative and positive wires in the harness. Dumb idea, it didnt work. Instead I only attached the positive to the wire in the harness and then attached the negative to a grounding point.

I didnt use ccfl lights but vibration sensitive lights so that whenever the car was on the stay on or when I turned the stereo on, they would bump to the bass. When the car was off or no one was in, they wouldnt go on so they dont drain the battery and if I wanted them on when the car was off, I could just flip a switch.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Hey guys, I did something similar to my floor lights. My floor lights goes on when the headlights come on, so they stay on while I'm driving at night.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:45 PM
IC Paul
PM me if someone in the Nor Cal/South Bay wants to make some money by doing this install for me.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey mzhu35s how did you connect it with the headlights?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Arrow

WhiteOnWheat, you could tap one of your cigarette lighters to power your CCFL's and ground it to the chassis... that will give you power as long as your car is in the accessory position or fully on... you could then install an inline switch to turn them off if you choose to do so...

alternatively, you could wire them directly to the battery, and install the same in-line switch so you can have them on whenever you want, and off whenever you want.

Also, best place I've found to get lights is www.oznium.com <-- they're VERY inexpensive
^ Thanks man!

I went out and got a FUSE TAP. I'll just find the fuse for the cig lighter (like you suggested) and ground the black wire of my lighting kit, and that should do it....I hope!

I'll post pics if it works!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 11-29-2008, 03:01 AM
You can tap into the headlight wire under the driver side.
Originally Posted by wonny
Hey mzhu35s how did you connect it with the headlights?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which wires and how do I tap into so that the LED's will come on when I open the door and turn off when they're closed? I have the '07 sedan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: LED under glove box/steering wheel help