Notices

Headlights replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Acc
I upgraded to the 06+ projectors also, they look so much nicer. Plus the beam is so clean with that nice cut off. =)

I got an extra set of 06+ projectors for sale. PM me if you want to buy them.
Just wondering if going form a 2003 to a 2006 headlight is a plug and play. My local dealer said they wouldn't work and a retro kit was needed and maybe even changing of the computer. I am in Canada and curious about this with our daytime running lights.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Pretty sure they just want you to bend over so they can f*ck you.. As far as i know they are plug and play. The 03-05 come with the ballasts for the OEM HID low beams. I'm pretty sure i'm correct, but this isn't a perfect world. Good luck to you! Don't ever trust the stealerships!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 AM
The big difference in the 04 to 06 headlights was the number of bulbs. The 04 uses to bulbs as stated earlier. One is a HID for the low beam, and the other is a halogen for the high beam. The 06 uses just one HID bulb for the highs and low, it uses a DS2 bulb, which is capable of both. The D2R bulbs are what is used in the 04 lights, you can use the DS2 bulbs, but it wont have high beam capability. The ballasts are the same and are plug n play from what I've heard, haven't done it myself..yet.

To change just the bulbs, the easiest way is to jack the car up, remove the wheel, take off the fender liner, and you'll see the back of the headlight, take off the black cover it twists off, the silver box is the ballast, it takes a quarter turn to remove it, the bulb is held in by two clips, squeeze them together and remove the bulb. I have the 06 DS2 bulbs in now and they work just fine. Their pretty much the same bulb 35w, but there's an internal difference between them I can't remember.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 AM
I had my 04 lights replace for projectors and I have to say that I love the look of it, miss the light strip but wouldn't go back

Old 02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Light Strips

Originally Posted by danches787
I had my 04 lights replace for projectors and I have to say that I love the look of it, miss the light strip but wouldn't go back
Never noticed that, good catch - one of my light strips on my '04 OEM lights needs to be replaced, a 192 I think. I also like those strips but the tradeoff seems more than worth it.

Looked up the replacement in the glovebox manual and it says "take it to the dealer to replace", lol. Either I am missing something really complex or they want to take it to the dealer to change a light bulb?

Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
It may say dealer replacement because the G is not just a simple bulb change. You have to remove the weather guard from underneath also the front bumper and grill has to be removed to get to all the bolts.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by G35CDriver
It may say dealer replacement because the G is not just a simple bulb change. You have to remove the weather guard from underneath also the front bumper and grill has to be removed to get to all the bolts.
I suspected the wheel well fender protector had to come off and it does. The upper bulb the whole light has to come out. The lower light can be changed from the wheel well, without the fender or lower shield coming off.

Where I am not so sure is the the FSM terminology for that light, the one in the 2003-05 MY "slash" - if it's this one, then pretty easy:

PARKING LAMP (CLEARANCE LAMP)
1. Turn lighting switch OFF.
2. Remove fender protector (front). Refer to EI-21, "FENDER PROTECTOR" in “EI” section.
3. Turn bulb socket counterclockwise and unlock it.
4. Remove bulb from its socket.
5. Install in the reverse order of removal.

It lists the following lights:

Headlamp (upper) low beam (Xenon) : 12V - 35W (D2R)
Headlamp (lower) high beam/Fog lamp : 12V - 60/55W (HB2)
Parking lamp (Clearance lamp) : 12V - 5W
Front turn signal and parking lamp : 12V - 21/5W

I assume the front turn signal is the round one, so hoping they call the parking lamp the one I need to change, it is a 5W replacement bulb. The sides are separate and from the diagram (this looks like driver's side I think). Hope that's the one because only the wheel and guard for the fender have to come off to get to it.

Not much inclined to pay anyone $110 to change a 5W bulb...

Old 02-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by fast04G
To change just the bulbs, the easiest way is to jack the car up, remove the wheel, take off the fender liner, and you'll see the back of the headlight, take off the black cover it twists off, the silver box is the ballast, it takes a quarter turn to remove it, the bulb is held in by two clips, squeeze them together and remove the bulb. I have the 06 DS2 bulbs in now and they work just fine. Their pretty much the same bulb 35w, but there's an internal difference between them I can't remember.
Do you know if that is the same for the lighting strip bulb?

TIA

Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
The clearance strip bulb is right above the headlamp so if you did it this way I am sure that it will be accessible.

Also the D2S bulb does not have the deflective mirror above the filament to keep the light from shining upward in the reflector housings thus are meant for projector lenses.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by G35CDriver
The clearance strip bulb is right above the headlamp so if you did it this way I am sure that it will be accessible.

Also the D2S bulb does not have the deflective mirror above the filament to keep the light from shining upward in the reflector housings thus are meant for projector lenses.
Didn't see a D2S, just the D2R in the quoted text, which is from the 2004 FSM. Thanks for the info, will help keep from picking up the wrong bulb down the road.

I would have just pulled the fender well cover to see, but the strip light is so relatively unimportant I was hoping to not waste the limited time I have to work on my cars pulling stuff apart needlessly. I have two B13's and a U13 besides my '03 RAM truck, all of which just maintenance alone is killer on time. Tracking one of the B13's regularly really adds to the garage time.

Thanks again, much appreciated input!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by Black Acc
I upgraded to the 06+ projectors also, they look so much nicer. Plus the beam is so clean with that nice cut off. =)

I got an extra set of 06+ projectors for sale. PM me if you want to buy them.
how much are they? send me some pics or email me adrielfp@gmail.com