Driver's Side Headlight Low Beam Not Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g35x - wife's car
Driver's Side Headlight Low Beam Not Working

Greetings,
I am trying to sort this issue out on my wife's car a 2006 G-35X. The driver side low beam is not working. So far I have swapped the bulb (Halogen) and inspected the Fuse which looked good - though I will switch it out to be sure. Looking at the schematic is appears the next thing to check is the relay. I have never seen a relay just affect one side of the lights on a car before. However It is there and it will get looked at. Am I missing something? Any advice would be great - BTW the forum has been a lot of help with getting me this far.
TIA

Old 07-15-2021, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by sragsd0416
Greetings,
I am trying to sort this issue out on my wife's car a 2006 G-35X. The driver side low beam is not working. So far I have swapped the bulb (Halogen) and inspected the Fuse which looked good - though I will switch it out to be sure. Looking at the schematic is appears the next thing to check is the relay. I have never seen a relay just affect one side of the lights on a car before. However It is there and it will get looked at. Am I missing something? Any advice would be great - BTW the forum has been a lot of help with getting me this far.
TIA
Did you try swapping out the ballast and bulb from the other side?
Inspecting a fuse that looks good is not a proper diagnosis.
Use a multimeter to test fuses and circuit tracing

Old 07-15-2021, 12:00 PM
g35x - wife's car
There is no ballast with Halogen bulbs, only HID. Agree with the fuse totally. I hate electrical on cars....I really really do lol.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
There is no ballast with Halogen bulbs, only HID. Agree with the fuse totally. I hate electrical on cars....I really really do lol.
Did you follow the troubleshooting steps in the FSM?

https://www.nicoclub.com/service-man...F2006%2Flt.pdf

See page EXL -26

Headlamp Low Beam Does Not Illuminate (One Side)NKS000T51. CHECK BULBCheck ballast (HID control unit) and xenon bulb of lamp which does not illuminate. Refer to LT-29, "XenonHeadlamp Trouble Diagnosis"

Old 07-15-2021, 03:57 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
One owner 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT
While there are multiple fuses for the headlight system, there appear to be two that are only for one side or the other. From the FSM:

HEADLAMP OPERATION
Low Beam Operation
With the lighting switch in 2ND position, the BCM receives input signal requesting headlamps to illuminate. This input signal is communicated to IPDM E/R through CAN communication lines. The CPU located in the IPDM E/R controls headlamp low relay coil, which when energized, directs power
● through 15A fuse (No. 76, located in IPDM E/R)
● through IPDM E/R terminal 20
● to front combination lamp RH terminal 3,
● through 15A fuse (No. 86, located in IPDM E/R)
● through IPDM E/R terminal 30
● to front combination lamp LH terminal 3.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:48 PM
g35x - wife's car
Update

So I have looked at the drivers side fuse and tested it - it is fine. Swapped relays - problem remains so now I have to consider the IPDM as it is next. Ran the test and driver side light remains out. Looking at the schematics this maybe the issue. I wanted to check here to see if I am missing something.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:10 PM
Maybe a ground (or other wiring)? I shouldn't have clipped the rest of the that section from the FSM:

Ground is supplied
 to front combination lamp RH terminal 4
 through grounds E17 and E43,
 to front combination lamp LH terminal 4
 through grounds E17 and E43.
With power and ground supplied, low beam headlamps illuminate

Also I didn't think you could get halogen low-beams in the later year G35s? I though that was only '03s and early '04s or something like that.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:33 PM
g35x - wife's car
Thanks for the assistance. I have the shop manual for the car which is a bit confusing so your step by steps helped. It is definitely Halogen. Ordered HID Bulb and it was not even close. Went to Walmart and the package said Halogen and it fit correctly lol.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:59 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yes some of the very very earliest 2003 sedans were equipped with halogen bulbs, I think only the first 3 months of production had them and the rest of the later 2003 sedans came with HID. All coupes came with HID.

I bet you have a blown fuse, it's got a really odd electrical configuration on those earlier models, the relay feeds TWO FUSES, one for the left, one for the right. If you have power to either light then the relay is fine. Check the IPDM for the fuses though, I don't have time to check out the FSM for fuse numbers right now but it should be labeled on the lid.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670
Yes some of the very very earliest 2003 sedans were equipped with halogen bulbs, I think only the first 3 months of production had them and the rest of the later 2003 sedans came with HID. All coupes came with HID.

I bet you have a blown fuse, it's got a really odd electrical configuration on those earlier models, the relay feeds TWO FUSES, one for the left, one for the right. If you have power to either light then the relay is fine. Check the IPDM for the fuses though, I don't have time to check out the FSM for fuse numbers right now but it should be labeled on the lid.
I gave them the info from the FSM for the left and right fuses in the IPDM yesterday and apparently they tested ok.

OP, I'm not sure if by "shop manual" you're referring to Haynes or the like, or the actual factory service manual. The steps I posted were from the actual FSM, which can be found (for free) here.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:12 PM
g35x - wife's car
So........

First off I wanted to thank everyone for being patient and with the assistance. Proves the value of these forums. So now time to eat some crow. I have been insisting that my wife's car had Halogen lights. While I wasn't wrong it does.....on the high beams. The fact that all the feedback provided caused me to pull out the window sticker and in black and white was low beam HID's...oops. I should also say that I am working on the car in a 2 car garage and the car is pulled all the way in I did not look at the entire front end. However it was a bad bulb and it all works now with some lessons learned by me to boot. The up side is finding all the fuse locations, how to take a battery out of this car and obviously what it takes to replace head light bulbs....lol Many thanks and I will have some fries with my crow.....

Old 07-19-2021, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

First off I wanted to thank everyone for being patient and with the assistance. Proves the value of these forums. So now time to eat some crow. I have been insisting that my wife's car had Halogen lights. While I wasn't wrong it does.....on the high beams. The fact that all the feedback provided caused me to pull out the window sticker and in black and white was low beam HID's...oops. I should also say that I am working on the car in a 2 car garage and the car is pulled all the way in I did not look at the entire front end. However it was a bad bulb and it all works now with some lessons learned by me to boot. The up side is finding all the fuse locations, how to take a battery out of this car and obviously what it takes to replace head light bulbs....lol Many thanks and I will have some fries with my crow.....
You are to be commended and I commend you for returning with your explanation on finding the root cause of your problem.
Many posters never return with an explanation of innocent or stupid errors that will very often help others from making the same erroneous troubleshooting mistakes.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:42 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,462 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Hah! That's actually pretty funny. Glad you got it all figured out.