Notices

Fog Light Replacement - HID look?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay - time to revitalize this thread. When looking over the osram h4s, they list both the silverstars and now a "cool-blue" h4 as well. Their blurb mentions 20% brighter and 4000K. The Silverstars are 50% brighter, but no temp is specified. Obviously a filter reduces light output - simple physics. I'd guess that the cool-blue osrams are actually the sylvania silverstar rebadged. So, has anyone compared the Sylvania silverstar (or osram cool-blue) to the osram silverstars? Are either the lumen output differences or the color temp difference very noticeable? If the cool-blue is at least as bright as stock but matches more closely the HIDs I'd probably go for them. If the osram silverstars are considerably closer to the HIDs than stock but far brighter, then I'd go for them.

Any thoughts??

sd_diver

Old 10-12-2005, 06:04 AM
I maybe wrong but Osram and Sylvania are not two different companies. It is one company. As far as the bulbs, there are two bulbs. Sylvania cool blues and Sylvania Silverstars.

Pricewise the cool blues are cheaper. I have them in my civic and they are ok...not sure if they would match the HIDs on my G35 though.

Old 10-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by silvernole12
I maybe wrong but Osram and Sylvania are not two different companies. It is one company.
You are correct!

Old 10-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by PeteNJ
You are correct!
Correct, yes. However. I believe that the Sylvania Silverstars differ from the osram Silverstars in that they have a blue coating. The Osram Cool Blues have this coating as well. Osram Cool Blues == Sylvania Silverstars?

Old 10-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I would go for the Phillips JDM Crystal Vision, they are 4300K and supposedly just as bright as our stock fogs if not brighter and good quality. A tad pricey but I think that is what I will go for unless anyone has seen anything different.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:35 PM
PIAA Extreme Whites match perfectly and aren't that expensive.

Old 10-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Any chance we can cheaply get the 2006 projector HID's and avoid this entire discussion? Maybe with a group buy the price would be reasonable.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by kroams
Any chance we can cheaply get the 2006 projector HID's and avoid this entire discussion? Maybe with a group buy the price would be reasonable.
Yes, well, some of us has sedans! Only the 06 Coupe has the bi-xenon, right?

Old 10-14-2005, 06:03 PM
I don't know because the infiniti website lists bi-xenon for the sedan also. Go figure?

Old 10-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sd_diver
Okay - time to revitalize this thread. When looking over the osram h4s, they list both the silverstars and now a "cool-blue" h4 as well. Their blurb mentions 20% brighter and 4000K. The Silverstars are 50% brighter, but no temp is specified. Obviously a filter reduces light output - simple physics. I'd guess that the cool-blue osrams are actually the sylvania silverstar rebadged. So, has anyone compared the Sylvania silverstar (or osram cool-blue) to the osram silverstars? Are either the lumen output differences or the color temp difference very noticeable? If the cool-blue is at least as bright as stock but matches more closely the HIDs I'd probably go for them. If the osram silverstars are considerably closer to the HIDs than stock but far brighter, then I'd go for them.

Any thoughts??

sd_diver
Not sure if the Osrams and Sylvanias are identical or not. I tried the Sylvania Cool-Blue way back in the summer of 2002, when the SilverStars were just coming out, and not readily available (and not on their web-site).

The Cool-Blues looked okay, but they were terrible in terms of light production. Much worse IMO than even the stock bulbs. I called Sylvania, and complained, and they suggested that I try their new 9003ST (SilverStars). Since they weren't readily available at the time, they sent me a set direct from the factory, gratis for testing on my G.

I found them to be significantly brighter than stock, and a good match for the HIDs. I still have that original set in my car.

I also tried the PIAA XtremeWhites, and found that they look a little 'bluer', but are a little less bright when the beam is shone on a white target ahead of the car.

I've been happy with the same set of SilverStars in my car for over 3 years. A friend that had the PIAAs replaced his burned out ones in less than a year.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:25 AM
The only question is color matching, how close are the silverstars to the HID lows? I'd say for pure output go for the OSRAM silverstars, they do not have the coating and are even brighter than the Slvania.

I still like the Phillips bulbs, but researching more about the JDM one (brightness wise), I really wish manuf. stamped lumens on the bulbs instead of it being a guessing game.

Old 10-17-2005, 03:04 PM
So looks like the osram silverstars are the only bulbs for fog replacement that do not have that blue coating. Anyone buy these from a seller in the U.S? If so, where? Also, I was looking for the wedge bulbs without the blue coating and the only one ive found so far is Raybrig http://www.prolightstar.com/access_b..._acc_bulb.html
Are there any others without the blue coating I can use? Also is T10 the same as type 168???

Old 10-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by Gordgee
I've been happy with the same set of SilverStars in my car for over 3 years...
Thanks Gordon. This will be the next mod after I install your GG 10 wire kit!

sd_diver

Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Ok looks like inorder to get light color above 4000K you HAVE to go with a blue coating bulb. My question to those who have these hyperwhite bulbs, do they give the housing a blue tint during the day when the lights are off?? Is it noticebale or something you can live with?

Old 10-23-2005, 12:43 PM
I think it depends on the endcap, because they make blue / red ones or just simply grey.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Replacement - HID look?