Notices

2nd set of xenons installed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd set of xenons installed.

I am not sure which I bought (D2R or D2S), but it has a shield on it, which is easily taken off by two screws. I got the H4 conversion kit. My question is with our high/fog beams, do I need to take off that shield or leave it on? Currently its left on, if I take it off, will it be brighter or it will be barely noticeable? Thanks!

Old 11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hid

I don't know what shield you are talking about, but in HID setups the metal shield flips open, and uncovers the other half of the light for the high beams, and low beams it remains half covered. I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong, since I only saw a 7 series BMW setup taken apart.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:14 PM
xenons

it seems like some shield, its definately not bi-xenons. To me, it seems like it is a shield that you can take off if your car uses projectors.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:24 PM
you bought a kit for your foglights? That shield was meant to reduce blinding oncoming drivers. If you are using for high beams, then you don't need the shield. Using HIDs may kill the use of your foglights though.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by waterp7
you bought a kit for your foglights? That shield was meant to reduce blinding oncoming drivers. If you are using for high beams, then you don't need the shield. Using HIDs may kill the use of your foglights though.
Here is the thing, I have a coupe and isnt the high/fog not completely exposed, it seems if i am looking at it, there is some cap in front of it from blinding on coming people which means i could get the D2R right? (no shield)

I hooked up the xenons to my fogs, therefore my highs do not work anymore.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jcboizi
Here is the thing, I have a coupe and isnt the high/fog not completely exposed, it seems if i am looking at it, there is some cap in front of it from blinding on coming people which means i could get the D2R right? (no shield)

I hooked up the xenons to my fogs, therefore my highs do not work anymore.
I bought a similar kit for my other car. Reflector headlights come in two styles. One style is when the end of the bulb is painted black. The other style is when the bulb is all clear, but there is a metal "hat" in the reflector covering the end of the bulb. The fogs in the G is the latter style.

With that being the case, you don't need the shield on the bulb. That shield is meant for cars where the stock bulb had black ends, and didn't have a "hat" in the reflector.

What kind of kit did you get? The one I got was a CATZ 9007 kit, so it had an actuator/relay on the base, to angle the HID capsule for Hi-beam use. You'll need one of those if you want to keep Hi/Fog functionality. I'm not sure how well that'll work with the G though, because the base of mine is really long, so I don't know about how well it'd fit.

The one I got was a plug-in replacement, so my lows/highs still worked off the factory switch.

Last edited by avs007; 11-15-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by avs007
I bought a similar kit for my other car. Reflector headlights come in two styles. One style is when the end of the bulb is painted black. The other style is when the bulb is all clear, but there is a metal "hat" in the reflector covering the end of the bulb. The fogs in the G is the latter style.

With that being the case, you don't need the shield on the bulb. That shield is meant for cars where the stock bulb had black ends, and didn't have a "hat" in the reflector.

What kind of kit did you get? The one I got was a CATZ 9007 kit, so it had an actuator/relay on the base, to angle the HID capsule for Hi-beam use. You'll need one of those if you want to keep Hi/Fog functionality. I'm not sure how well that'll work with the G though, because the base of mine is really long, so I don't know about how well it'd fit.

The one I got was a plug-in replacement, so my lows/highs still worked off the factory switch.
Great, thank you for clearing that up. Do you think it will shine brighter (noticeably) if i take off the shield? I got some other brand that my friend was selling me at his cost. I figure I buy them instead of spending 600 dollars on the 06 headlights. Plus the kit has a 1 year warranty on everything including the bulbs. I don't have that feature for the bi-xenons. Currently I wired it so that when I turn on the fogs, the xenons turn on. We could have wired it so that when you turn on your high beams, the xenons turn on, but I figured the blue indicator light that tells me the high beams is on is going to be annoying to look when i drive.

Old 11-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Don't take off the shield that is part of the headlight assembly. If you do that, you will blind everybody in front of you, as you will be throwing a lot of light in directions you aren't supposed to.

What kind of kit is your friend getting you? Is it a projector setup? Because for $589 for both, and re-using/modifying the D2R that came with the car, you can't really beat that with a home-made kit. Didn't someone say that to do a DIY retro, will cost around $400?

Old 11-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by avs007
Don't take off the shield that is part of the headlight assembly. If you do that, you will blind everybody in front of you, as you will be throwing a lot of light in directions you aren't supposed to.

What kind of kit is your friend getting you? Is it a projector setup? Because for $589 for both, and re-using/modifying the D2R that came with the car, you can't really beat that with a home-made kit. Didn't someone say that to do a DIY retro, will cost around $400?
Yea, I left my low beams the same. I only changed my high/fogs. My friend got me some kit that looks pretty close to the Phillips type. Its definately much cheaper than 589. I have to say its closer to 250ish.... but that is his cost. The bulbs that it came with were the ones with the shield, but its connected with 2 screws, which is easy to take off. Since we already have a "hat" on our fog/highs, I think I can take off the shield. Correct?

Old 11-15-2005, 09:00 PM
i just changed my factory xenon bulbs to 8000k and bought a H4 kit for the fogs in the same 8000k, but the fogs look more blue than the replacement 8000k bulbs. wierd stuff, but you can only tell up close, from more than 5 feet away the only thing you can think of is how to get out of the blinding path of the 4 xenons...

Old 11-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by jcboizi
Since we already have a "hat" on our fog/highs, I think I can take off the shield. Correct?
Yeah. The directions for my Catz kit said the same. If you have the "hat" in your assembly, to unscrew the shield from the bulb.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:03 AM
The shield over your HID bulb is a mock up of the tiny shield over the low beam filament within your stock halogen bulb. Taking it off will create uncontrolled scattered light from your housing.

Old 11-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Silverbolt
The shield over your HID bulb is a mock up of the tiny shield over the low beam filament within your stock halogen bulb. Taking it off will create uncontrolled scattered light from your housing.
Are we talking about the same thing? The HID bulbs that came in the Catz kit, has a metal cap that looks like a big thimble, that screws onto the bulb. The directions says to remove this, if your stock reflector assembly has a similar cover integrated into the assembly, which our G's do.