the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Picked up a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator and an o2 bung to weld in at the same time so I can get a wideband in there for final tuning.

Any ATL people going to Formula Drift this weekend? I'll be there for the first time in years. Taking my son for the first time.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:47 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
gotta start em young

Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Great buy on the car, nice, and I like the wheels you got for it. I like the CF hood, don't paint it,paint the car to go with it.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

If at first you don't succeed ............do it like your wife said in the first place!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:50 PM
My son is 8, and has been at local drift events with me since he could walk, and ride - alongs since he could be harnessed in. This is his first time at a pro event though. He is a super car spotter out on the roads, and is really looking forward to seeing Daigo's Lamborghini Murcielago. Should be a fun weekend.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM
So I got the resonator into the exhaust, welded in the o2 bung for when I get a wideband, picked up a pair of Cooper RS3A for the rear and got an alignment all on Thursday last week. My driver rear tire was down to the wires due to 1. The apparent need for camber correction and 2. My daily drift/drive route with a long left hand sweeper that I just can't resist. The car is so predictable when it steps out that is fun to just power out of it.

The resonator didn't kill the frequency buzz at 2500...but it did soften the tone just a bit. I actually really like the exhaust sound now. It is a HUGE improvement over the sound of most of the G35s that I saw this past weekend...super loud as most of them were.. and spending 350+ hwy miles in the car each way I'm really familiar with it now.

I averaged almost 25mpg on the trip and that is including lots of very fun hilly 2 lanes since I was staying at my brothers in Stone Mountain, 50 miles from Road Atlanta.

The car took it very well, using a 1/2 quart of oil on the trip but that was expected. I did whip it a bit on the twisties.

Also taught my son how to drive the 6 speed. He shifts for me..almost like having an automatic now. And he will be very good at RHD

Old 05-10-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
If you want the drone gone, you'll have to go with some J pipes. Seeing as how you weld your own stuff, should be easy. There is a formula for proper placement and pipe length if you Google 'J pipe placement formula'. It completely gets rid of drone.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Interesting. .I'll definitely give that a read.

And congrats on your first valuable contribution ITT.

The following users liked this post:
_Ghost_G35 (07-08-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 09:01 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by EPiK
So I got the resonator into the exhaust, welded in the o2 bung for when I get a wideband, picked up a pair of Cooper RS3A for the rear and got an alignment all on Thursday last week. My driver rear tire was down to the wires due to 1. The apparent need for camber correction and 2. My daily drift/drive route with a long left hand sweeper that I just can't resist. The car is so predictable when it steps out that is fun to just power out of it.
Wow. I just just got back from our local Canadian Tire looking to pick up the exact same tires also for the rears. What are your initial impressions so far? The Zeon's look like a solid mix of price/grip and durability. They're on sale this week at Canadian Tire and picking them up tomorrow. Out of curiosity what did they cost and did you get the stock size?

Man, your son is one lucky kid! The only cars I rode in when I was a kid were taxicabs.

Old 05-11-2016, 07:29 AM
I'm running 275/35/18 on an 18x10 wheel. I lucked into them, buying them used but with a good bit of tread left and even wear. Paid $120 for the pair mounted and balanced. I was pretty happy. Immediately I put 800 miles on them and don't have a bad thing to say. Grip seems good, I have to work a bit to get the car to step out of line now, but when they do break away it's very predictable.

I haven't experienced them in the rain yet. I'm planning on changing up the tire sizes on the next set of rims. 18x8.5 and 18x11 and running 225/45 and 275/40. I was hesitant on the 275/40 rear but a LOT of the cars at Road Atlanta for Formula Drift are actually running that size so I got to see a lot up close.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:07 AM
Update..new buy. Literally just walked in the door from Waxhaw, NC where I picked up this brand new Inven poly front bumper at a great price. Now I can finally get rid of that tacked on lip and busted stock bumper I got the car with.

Honestly I was looking at trading the car off for something else, but decided it's just too damn much fun and bang for the buck in the same price range it can't be matched. So I'm keeping it, and finishing my vision for it. As always,

Stay Tuned

Old 07-08-2016, 01:11 AM
Oh and if anyone in the NC, SC, VA, GA area would like an OEM style Seibon CF hood in perfect condition..I'll take your same condition stock hood plus $400 for it. PM me.. come to the beach and I'll swap them

Old 07-08-2016, 08:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4800 bucks not a bad deal the same car with 130k is going for 8k in okay condition.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:59 AM
The Inven bumper is installed, but I'm not feeling it. A little too aggressive for my taste on this car, and I don't really need the flexibility of the duraflex material, not on my daily. Perfect style for a race car, drift car etc..

bumper is up for sale.. got my eye on something else.

also, installed half of another new addition. pics once the rest arrives and I can finish the job.

still would like to trade out the Seibon CF hood for a stock one and some of your cash as well...anyone?

Old 08-05-2016, 12:15 PM

A few changes... 2001 Porsche C4S twists. 18x11 in the rear.
Falken Azenis all the way around.

props to usadapters.com as they made hubcentric fitment a bolt on breeze.

Next obstacle on the car is installing the rear camber arms and a toe kit, and a new diff bushing.

18x8 225/45/18 front. 18x11 255/45/18 rear. Not my first choice for the rear size, but at $170 shipped for the pair I couldn't pass it up. Ideally I would have 275/40 out back but these are great, and the speedo is actually dead on, which is a plus I was not expecting (gps verified)

Old 08-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Found out one of my rear wheels was cracked so i had it refinished. Finally cleaned them up and shined the tires. Still no car wash though.

Lots of work planned for tomorrow or Friday. Maybe dipping the wheels a darker shade of silver or titanium gray also, matched to the grille.

Anyone near or in SC parting a car? I need a few things..front fender well liners, window switches. .etc.. maybe even a complete rear subframe I can work on (camber, toe, bushings) then swap right in.. definitely not looking to ship that though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?