the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
The K&N dry charger bag is more for dusty dirt road and sand conditions. I'm possibly going to use an AEM bypass valve. If the filter is ever submerged it will open flaps and breathe thru t he valve instead of the filter. They used to have an ad showing an NSX on the dyno with the intake tube under water and the bypass valve installed.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Dang.. that looks sick - said no one ever .

Epic glad to see you are rolling again.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:37 AM
I guess tomorrow I'm going to break down and pull the driver side test pipe, and find the rattle and ELIMINATE it. Can't stand the buzzing/clanging/ringing anymore.. really it's not that bad, but just ticks me off since I dimpled and tacked the resonator to the inner tube to prevent this.. and it sounds like crap now, but just on that side.

I'm not buying any other test pipes because I really want a set of ART pipes, but I'll wait for used to pop up..on what else.. Craigslist..

and that freakin passenger headlight went out again. it is the plug onto the bulb. got to figure something out there.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:07 AM
Fixed the headlight last week. Fixed the test pipe finally Thursday in the 104* heat index...welding is just the thing you want to do... Also bled the clutch which was kinda soft on the pedal but feels great now.

Last week I swapped out the front Falken Azenis tires since one of them slipped a belt inside and was causing a MAJOR tire pull. Now running a full set of Ohsu FP7000 tires all the way around, they have a Falken All season pattern and I'm pretty happy with them for the very low price.. under $350 for the set.

Headed to ATL for the weekend tonight to hang at my brother's house. So glad I got that buzzy pipe fixed before driving 6 hrs.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Nice car. Just viewed it on the computer and it looks really nice. I actually really like the single exit exhaust now. The stock tips are probably what does it for me .

The following users liked this post:
EPiK (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 02:17 AM
The car handled the road trip to and from ATL with ease... cruise set at 80mph thru the middle of the night and I got almost 23 mpg. The G felt so stable at speed on the hwy, it tracked perfectly and the car almost steered itself. Perfect. I can't say enough about the Z Bilsteins and Eibach Pro Kit combo if you want a Grand Touring feel. Only thing the suspension is missing is a set of upgraded sways.

Oil consumption seems to be down lately.. only lost maybe a 1/4 of quart in the last 1000 miles or so.

I'm heading back to Decatur, GA this weekend and will be in town all week. I'm considering calling up TopSpeed or Balanced Performance and visiting them for a dyno tune while I'm there...I'm still on the base tune afterall, and I have a broken UpRev cable, and still have not installed the Innovate wideband to log anyway.

Might do some more exhaust work tomorrow first. Got an area I'm not happy with, and it could be better. pics if I do it.

that's all for now.

Stay Tuned

Old 07-14-2017, 06:31 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Always entertaining to visit your thread. Keep us posted!

The following users liked this post:
EPiK (07-14-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 03:25 AM
Annnnd the saga continues.. time for more parts apparently.

Went to take the G to church this morning and got stuck behind a truck towing something, stumbling along at about 25 blazing mph in a 45 zone the car started loading up and running a little off.

I pulled into a lot and it smoothed out, so pulling back out and headed on my way, it sputtered and the check engine light started flashing, then stayed lit. So I turned around and headed home to switch cars.

Later this afternoon I scanned the codes and came up with just one.. Cylinder 6 misfire. I cleared it and hoped for the best.. maybe it was a fluke. Went for a test drive and before I even got out of the neighborhood it was breaking up again.

So it looks like I'll be picking up a fresh set of coils, it apparently is just their time :/

Of course this couldn't happen while I was home alone with 2 vehicles all week.. it has to happen just hours before I pick my wife and son up at the airport.. grr

Old 07-31-2017, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Your car knows you enjoy working on it. Scoff at it or something so it stops breaking.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM
Honestly no Urban... she's just a jealous red head. I put an ignition in the lawn mower Saturday right beside her, and the G has GOT to be the center of attention.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EPiK
Annnnd the saga continues.. time for more parts apparently.

Went to take the G to church this morning and got stuck behind a truck towing something, stumbling along at about 25 blazing mph in a 45 zone the car started loading up and running a little off.

I pulled into a lot and it smoothed out, so pulling back out and headed on my way, it sputtered and the check engine light started flashing, then stayed lit. So I turned around and headed home to switch cars.

Later this afternoon I scanned the codes and came up with just one.. Cylinder 6 misfire. I cleared it and hoped for the best.. maybe it was a fluke. Went for a test drive and before I even got out of the neighborhood it was breaking up again.

So it looks like I'll be picking up a fresh set of coils, it apparently is just their time :/

Of course this couldn't happen while I was home alone with 2 vehicles all week.. it has to happen just hours before I pick my wife and son up at the airport.. grr
Hey i you need a coil pack, i have one brand new from infiniti that i bought and never used. Its still sealed how i got it. I'll sell it to you. Let me know if you still need it. Have receipt and all when i bought it a few months back.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the offer but I just ordered a complete new set. I want to avoid the "weakest link" syndrome. I should have them by Wednesday..loving Rockauto again.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mi just got a starter From them. My car sounds faster now starting up!

The fedex guy was like... more car parts huh?

Old 08-03-2017, 02:22 PM
The operation was a rip roaring success. Easy swap out on the coils, checked a few random plugs and see excellent burn/combustion. Some slight oil vapor on the boots but nothing I'm going to change for a while.

Popped the new ones in and checked and cleared OBD2 codes and took her for a "test drive" on some local less traveled twisties. Stronger than ever

As my son said "Daddy it's even louder now" The tone is much sharper, I could tell that the car always seemed rich, a muted fat tone I remembered from my dyno tuning days...all I can say is, my coils must have been weak for a good time now, giving incomplete burn. At one point up until this summer I was actually running 89 octane to try and soften the tune, running 93 this last few months it felt really rich, but I wanted the extra window of safety considering how I've been driving the car, plus the heat.

I've got no complaints since installing the new coils. The richness and flat muted tone is gone. The exhaust has a sharper riiiip to it, and the power I had been steadily losing is back plus more.

this car rips now

Old 08-03-2017, 02:35 PM

Out with the old...

In with the new..<br/>#romannumeralsarebetter

Get out and drive

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: the $4800 6mt Craigslist Coupe... uhhh...build?