My car popped a WHEELIE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car popped a WHEELIE!

so i was heading up smith st. in Waltham, which has been graded from Spring St. down to Lincoln at least, which is where i finally ended up. a block before though, at Snow Circle, there was a Water main that was sticking up out of the ground probably 6-8", and angled towards my car. now, keep in mind this all happened on a main street which intersects with an even busier main street in the early part of rush hour... and i was going thirty. unfortunately i had nowhere to go. there was a line of oncoming traffic and houses to my right, and i didnt have time to jack on my brakes.... so i just had to pray... aaaand it didnt help.
the next three things i heard were my best friend yelling "WTF IS THAT THING", nothing, then BANG as my car came back in contact with pavement...
looking at the way the hood now opens im expecting subframe damage, extensive suspension damage, the rims are bent to hell, gonna need new tires, both the plastic and the steel skidplate are ripped in half so god knows what that area looks like... one thing i know is the steering wheel is pointed dead on, and the wheels are all sorts of weird, as well as pointed in to the ground... like this... \---/ and no, my car isnt lowered and lacking a camber kit.

as i said, daytime will really clear things up... this will def be a long repair... bureaucracy being what it is... i'm sure they'll say they had signs up saying pass at own risk or something. oh well... thank god the airbags didnt go off.
really glad i didn't drop it now, i'm sure then they wouldn't cover it, saying my aftermarket suspension was at fault.

sooo yeah i macked that thing... the water main not only broke off out of the ground, and was dragged several feet with us, but the top of the pipe then popped off.
i plan on going back for it tomorrow and getting it. maybe ill have the top bronzed and wear it on a chain.

(onsite) PICS

Last edited by snotf; 11-17-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:43 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
damn

Go take pics now to see if there are any signs!, was there construction or something? Someone messed up how the hell can you have something stick out of the ground like that. Can you take pics of the pipe sticking out of the ground or did you break it off?

Old 11-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
damn sorry to hear that man, looks like the Nismo is ok at least

Old 11-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
That sucks man, I have had more than one issue with city workers idiocy.

Hopefully the car looks worst than it is and the repairs will go easily.

I think you will probably be able to get the city to pay out on this one, they pay for bent wheels in pot holes this is 10000x stupider so take them to court or something!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:58 PM
i forgot about that. when i hit the pipe, a debadged green sedan with one of those REALLY ricey triple billet grilles pulled past me, way to ask a a fellow g if you could help, *****

Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
EM drivers are all DICKS!! haha! but srsly, sorry to hear this happened to you, man. g/l with the repairs.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:16 AM
LOL, that was me and Wayne, we actually planted the pipe there to make other colours extinct!

Did you happen to see the front grille? Did it have a body colour emblem on it?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:16 AM
i bet it was you, on your way south for the winter with no time to help poor little me. dick!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
sorry that happened. i remeber back in high school getting some air in my eclipse gsx once going over the railroad tracks in kenosha, wi...couldnt beleive the car had no damage after i landed.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:39 AM
Yea I had my summer tires on and i was pretty sure there was snow behind me, I also needed to get to wal mart before it closed to buy a make your taco kit. I also saw a cool bird and wanted to chase it... uhhh yea. sorry lol

Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 AM
well, i opened an insurance claim last night, we'll see how much stalling the city does on it. i went back there this morning and i grabbed the pipe... in the daylight i don't think it was actually attached- i think they had cut it and left it resting there, and it got wedged at an angle, waiting to STAB MY CAR. great work again by those surly union guys. on the plus side of their slow work, they hadn't been down their to cover up what happened... so i grabbed the pipe.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 AM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Much easier to read this way...

Originally Posted by snotf
so i was heading up smith st. in Waltham, which has been graded from Spring St. down to Lincoln at least, which is where i finally ended up. a block before though, at Snow Circle, there was a Water main that was sticking up out of the ground probably 6-8", and angled towards my car. now, keep in mind this all happened on a main street which intersects with an even busier main street in the early part of rush hour... and i was going thirty. unfortunately i had nowhere to go. there was a line of oncoming traffic and houses to my right, and i didnt have time to jack on my brakes.... so i just had to pray... aaaand it didnt help.
the next three things i heard were my best friend yelling "WTF IS THAT THING", nothing, then BANG as my car came back in contact with pavement...
looking at the way the hood now opens im expecting subframe damage, extensive suspension damage, the rims are bent to hell, gonna need new tires, both the plastic and the steel skidplate are ripped in half so god knows what that area looks like... one thing i know is the steering wheel is pointed dead on, and the wheels are all sorts of weird, as well as pointed in to the ground... like this... \---/ and no, my car isnt lowered and lacking a camber kit.
sooo yeah i macked that thing... the water main not only broke off out of the ground, and was dragged several street with us, but the top then popped off.
i plan on going back for it tomorrow and getting it. maybe ill have it bronzed and wear it on a chain.

(onsite) PICS

as i said, daytime will really clear things up... this will def be a long repair... bureaucracy being what it is... i'm sure they'll say they had signs up saying pass at own risk or something. oh well... thank god the airbags didnt go off.
really glad i didn't drop it now, i'm sure then they wouldn't cover it, saying my aftermarket suspension was at fault.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
I hope they own up and fix your car. Sorry to see the damage done.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
I don't see any damage besides the hood???

Old 11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
O it looks like the cross memeber in between the exhaust banks SLAMED the pipe.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My car popped a WHEELIE!