Projector Headlight project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:55 PM
acr
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
So you will use the factory HID reflectors as your low beams? The headlight will look cool with projectors installed but that's suboptimal as far as functionality. There must be a way to wire the bi-xenon projector to work as a high/low beam, and forget the fog lights.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im thinking of changing the way the power supply is provided ground and power from the top oem hid to the bottom projector making it my main light also tapping the high beam red wire to the bi xenon solenoid to activate them ad hi /lo and then when I want to run my fogs the will be the oem hid .

Old 01-16-2011, 09:55 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^^^^I'd be interested to see how you do that. The factory setup is so messy imo and here in Canada we have the drl to deal with on top of everything else. That was ultimately what helped seal my decision as to what direction I was going in with the projector placement.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 111 Likes on 98 Posts
It would be an easy change. On the sedan lights there is a power box behind the low beam. Just reposition that box so the oem igniter can reach down low to the projector. Use the highbeam power to activate the solenoid for the bixenon. Get another hid ballast and harness and use that for the fog power but that will b in the oem low beam location now

Old 01-17-2011, 02:33 PM
acr
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237

supposedly the mini morimoto bixenon projectors come with an H4 adapter plate, which would allow for installation in the factory fog location with no cutting. This would make for a very easy swap, but I guess one would still have to make sure the OEM braided ignitor thing can reach down to the fog position.

edit: more importantly, the H4 adapter plate would make alignment a non-issue. Although, what actually gives the factory fog its fog aiming? Is it the way the reflector panels are designed, or does it have something to do with how the bulb is mounted (angled down?)?

I may be pulling the trigger on the Morimoto mini H1 kit soon.

Last edited by acr; 01-17-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM
^^^^^^^was wondering the same thing? How are the highs and fogs aimed? I mean, ideally you want the highs slightly higher than the lows or at last level and the fogs lower, or at least as low so I'm not sure how they achieve this with the design of the 1st gen. sedan? I'm gonna try and get some nights shots of the cutoffs of the factory reflector setup I have to see how the factory aim is setup?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acr
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=237

supposedly the mini morimoto bixenon projectors come with an H4 adapter plate, which would allow for installation in the factory fog location with no cutting. This would make for a very easy swap, but I guess one would still have to make sure the OEM braided ignitor thing can reach down to the fog position.

edit: more importantly, the H4 adapter plate would make alignment a non-issue. Although, what actually gives the factory fog its fog aiming? Is it the way the reflector panels are designed, or does it have something to do with how the bulb is mounted (angled down?)?

I may be pulling the trigger on the Morimoto mini H1 kit soon.
Even thought there is a h4 backling plate, the md2s or mh1 will be much lower then the housing. Heres some pics i just took for a md2s on a 03-04 top reflector.

the rear socket slides right into the h4 hole

how it looks sitting in the hole

how it would look with a projector like that with the housing on

it would sit like that which needs to be higher or it wont close.
(hope u dont mind me using ur pic liljohnny)

Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM
acr
Makes sense. However, I plan on installing the Morimoto Mini in the lower (fog/high) reflector, which wouldn't have the same problem.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sub'd... Love mod projects. Thanks for the entertainment OP.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by VstyLe09
Even thought there is a h4 backling plate, the md2s or mh1 will be much lower then the housing. Heres some pics i just took for a md2s on a 03-04 top reflector.

the rear socket slides right into the h4 hole

how it looks sitting in the hole

how it would look with a projector like that with the housing on

it would sit like that which needs to be higher or it wont close.
(hope u dont mind me using ur pic liljohnny)
Ya, both the mini and my setup will need some extensive shaping of the bezel and shroud for the housing to seal up correctly....hence the challenge!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Not really too much trimming of the oem shroud. You just have to cut the shroud so it will go close enough to the projector to close up with the lens but not too far to leave a big gap. If you put the projector just inside the back cover you will only need to trim the reflector and shroud. Ive done 4 projectors up top and 3 quads. Bottom location is the easiest to put one. Top is just a little tighter. I dont mount my projectors just with screws thru the oem reflector as its pretty brittle. I have patterns that i make each time out of metal then weld together to make my mounts to the oem reflector. You shouldnt have a problem with the bixenon down low. more than enough room down there for just about any projector to fit

Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 PM
acr
Originally Posted by r1forever80
Not really too much trimming of the oem shroud. You just have to cut the shroud so it will go close enough to the projector to close up with the lens but not too far to leave a big gap. If you put the projector just inside the back cover you will only need to trim the reflector and shroud. Ive done 4 projectors up top and 3 quads. Bottom location is the easiest to put one. Top is just a little tighter. I dont mount my projectors just with screws thru the oem reflector as its pretty brittle. I have patterns that i make each time out of metal then weld together to make my mounts to the oem reflector. You shouldnt have a problem with the bixenon down low. more than enough room down there for just about any projector to fit
Have you ever measured the diameter of the lower reflector on sedan headlights? I'm trying to figure out which shroud to order from the retrofit source. I'm thinking either E46 or Gatling. I'd like the shroud to be a tight fit, but I gather that small gaps around the shroud aren't a problem.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:59 PM
The gatlin and the apollo will fit down there with not too much gap. The e46 isn't perfectly round so if you want the e46 get the extended so u can trim it down.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by r1forever80
I'm sure you meant not too much trimming of the oem BEZEL and you're right. But when you add a shroud to the front of the projector, (I'm going with Apollo), I would think you'd have to trim a little more off the oem bezel so you have clearance for adjustment purposes. Can you share any pictures of your past retroes where you put the projector up top?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been snowboarding in PA the last few days while my cars still qt the dealer when I get it bad I will resume my project I was looking at the wiring and I thinking it's very possible to achieve what I want to do .

R1 how did u remove all of the original oem shroud to expose te box located behind the bottom shroud. ?
I too agree the shrouds are to flimsy to drill into that's how I have them now , I'd like to make a bracket to have them better attached . I think just attaching to the shroud going over rough roads will crack or damage the shroud

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Projector Headlight project