Started my headlight retrofit today!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is what the top projecter looks like.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
That's looking good man! Is the projector a little low though? I feel like its getting cut off by the lower front shroud. Either way that looks awesome man. On that acrylic bracket, what did you use to put them together on the corners like from the top bracket to the middle flat one and then to the lower bracket. Some kind of acrylic epoxy or glue?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
yeah it looks like the cutoff will be hurt by it being so low. unless of course that is for high beam or something

Old 04-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by jbwrecked
That's looking good man! Is the projector a little low though? I feel like its getting cut off by the lower front shroud. Either way that looks awesome man. On that acrylic bracket, what did you use to put them together on the corners like from the top bracket to the middle flat one and then to the lower bracket. Some kind of acrylic epoxy or glue?
Well that shroud will sit lower than that. I just propped it on top of the light just to see what it will look like. It should come down a bit.

For acrylic. I bought an acrylic glue at the plastics store that I bought the acrylic. Its like welding plastic together. This stuff is super strong. Its called WELD ON for Acrylics.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by kingnba6
yeah it looks like the cutoff will be hurt by it being so low. unless of course that is for high beam or something
Ill make sure it wont be hurt. Keep in mind that the shroud is just laid on top of the light. I dont the lens on the headlight. This was just to see how it looked.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:30 AM
Sounds good then. I just tried mounting mine and it looked pretty good. I think I might go with acrylic like you since cutting metal will probably be a bit hard and I can just work with this from home lol. Plus it's not that expensive. Least I hope not

Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Sounds good then. I just tried mounting mine and it looked pretty good. I think I might go with acrylic like you since cutting metal will probably be a bit hard and I can just work with this from home lol. Plus it's not that expensive. Least I hope not
Nice. I never thought about acrylic until I saw a retrofit on the net somewhere and they had a DIY and they used it.

Not that expensive at all. I went to a plastics store and bought some scraps. They were $2.50 a sheet and I only needed 2. The glue was $8.95 so that was the expensive part. I also had to buy an applicator for the glue and that was a couple of dollars. it was around $18 when it was all said and done. Not bad and the acrylic is super easy to deal with. Just use a dremel and cutting and sanding is a breeze!!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 PM
Awesome! Definitely sounds like a more inexpensive and easier option! Was worried about how good it would hold up but i guess it should be fine. Think its prone to melting due to the heat in the back of the projector bowl?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:54 PM
Awesome! Definitely sounds like a more inexpensive and easier option! Was worried about how good it would hold up but i guess it should be fine. Think its prone to melting due to the heat in the back of the projector bowl?
I doubt it. This stuff is 1/8" thick. its pretty thick. not that thin flimsy stuff. I think it will do just fine. When I was using the dremel it tool alot to make this stuff melt.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Sounds good then

Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Sounds good then
Post pics of what you got and what you are planning.

Im doing the double projector with double halos.

One will be in front and then Im putting the other inside the shroud.

Im adding an LED strip inside the front of the shroud to give the lens that circular dot look.

Then im adding 2 single LED's that illuminate the lens blue to give it the blue demon eye. Im doing the 2 single LED's on both projectors and adding some to the turn signal.

I am going to paint the headlight white and black. Im thinking of painting the cover white and paint the shrouds matte black. I think this will set it off. I am kinda worried on how it would look, but I think I will still try it.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:18 PM
Heres what i got so far. Its a flimsy little foam core for now till i find some acrylic to get the real bracket. It came out pretty good i think. Mines on a coupe btw

Prototype bracket on the headlight

Bracket on the FXR projector

Assembled

As for plans, im not really sure if i wanna go dual projector or single. I think i can fit an MH1 pretty easy in the bottom so i might do that.

I definitely wanna come up with a clearance strip. Probably out of some sort of fiber optic.

Might do that iron man mod with a little led in the projector. Dont know if just the top or top and bottom.

And id probably paint all of it either OB or matte black

EDIT: Disregard those wholes on the side. I bought the headlight pretty cheap and the owner stated that it was just a regular projector that had been painted which was what i was looking for at the time and it ended up having holes on the side and covered with stupid electric tape. Deceived me from the picture. Then i didnt open it till like 2 months after so the 30 day paypal warranty was over and i just stuck with it. Im gonna resand everything and bondo those stupid holes

Last edited by jbwrecked; 04-19-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Heres what i got so far. Its a flimsy little foam core for now till i find some acrylic to get the real bracket. It came out pretty good i think. Mines on a coupe btw

Prototype bracket on the headlight

Bracket on the FXR projector

Assembled

As for plans, im not really sure if i wanna go dual projector or single. I think i can fit an MH1 pretty easy in the bottom so i might do that.

I definitely wanna come up with a clearance strip. Probably out of some sort of fiber optic.

Might do that iron man mod with a little led in the projector. Dont know if just the top or top and bottom.

And id probably paint all of it either OB or matte black

EDIT: Disregard those wholes on the side. I bought the headlight pretty cheap and the owner stated that it was just a regular projector that had been painted which was what i was looking for at the time and it ended up having holes on the side and covered with stupid electric tape. Deceived me from the picture. Then i didnt open it till like 2 months after so the 30 day paypal warranty was over and i just stuck with it. Im gonna resand everything and bondo those stupid holes
Very nice. It looks like the coupe lights are easier to work with then the sedan lights ( Not by much). Looking at the reflector part of it. I was a pain to take mine out. I had to cut them apart and then remove each independently. Dont know if there is an easier way, but that is how i did it.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:31 PM
So I finally ordered the FX-R's for the bottom projectors. Need to mount and align and off to get painted!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
who wants to do mine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Started my headlight retrofit today!!!!!!!!!!!