Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
wow very nice

The following users liked this post:
soundmike (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
I think Nightshades is "blacker", the Shadow Chrome seems to have a color tint to it but i'm not quite sure what it is as it changes depending on light and how light hits the surface.

I also think Shadow Chrome coats apply much thinner than Nightshades. Although i've seen at least one application of Shadow Chrome applied rather heavily and it just came out black. Granted, those were internet photos.

Shadow Chrome itself is not reflective IMHO, the reflection you see in these photos are from the underlying chrome and the clearcoat.
I'm just wondering what would look best on a Obsidian Black Sedan, is the nightshades also a 2 part system or is it the stuff sold to tint your taillights? I really like how yours turned out and your attention to the shrouds etc really sets it apart. Thanks for your help w/ the paint choice(s).

soundmike (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
You're welcome, and thanks..

Yep, nightshades is the one used to tint taillights, it's the same one i used to test on the grille. I just grabbed leftover high-temp clear and sprayed a couple of coats on top. The grille didn't turn out so well, the nightshades i had was several years old and nearly empty, so it started getting blotchy -- you'll see in the photos posted in that link.

When i sprayed with the shadow chrome, the can sat in a warm water bath between coats to help with the spray (helps with viscosity, mixture and evenness.) There have been lots of reports of translucent sprays where they end up *very* blotchy, this extra precaution helped minimize it. If you do this when the weather is somewhat warm and has low humidity, those two conditions will also go a long way towards a better outcome as well.

blnewt (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Seems like the shadow chrome is a paint that's made for this type application and even though it may not be a matching shade of black the dark chrome-ish contrast should look pretty nice. Thanks for the tips on keeping the paint consistent too
Do you have any pics of those lights without the sun shining down, just curious if the true color is really darker? A bit hard to tell since your pre-assembly pics look pretty dark but seem to be a couple shades lighter on the car. It's amazing the disparity w/ photos sometimes

Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Tip on removing the ring around the projector glass: I used a 16" screw driver.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the tip! I tried everything i had and those screws just weren't budging, sadly. I also got a bit worried putting on too much strain on the turning mechanism (AFS).

Old 09-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
Thank you, folks. I wish i had spent more time on this, as they are it's just "okay." For anyone planning on doing this slowly but surely, set aside at least two days *minimum*.

Funny you ask about the sealant/glue. Upon removing the passenger light, i noticed that a bottom rubber/harness was not attached to the assembly --- there was literally a gaping hole staring back at me, it must've been like that since the lights were replaced under warranty a couple years ago --- i never saw condensation on that headlight, ever.

That said, i re-used what glue was on the assembly. Did not add to it or anything. However, i did bake the headlights after putting it together again. Once at 10, pressed everything together, then again at 5 minutes, then pressed everything back together one more time before cooling and installation.
hey mike!

so i finally worked up enough nerve to do my headlights (probably since the sedan gtg meet is saturday). it took me forever to pry open the headlights -_- after some time i finally got them apart and ive left the housing painted and today ill check the paint job and get ready to put everything back together.

just wanted to ask you about putting the lights back together. So you bolt everything back together bake, compress, light bake, compress, then install?

also when trying to remove the parking light shroud a clip broke on one and came off the second light a clip broke again and the shroud wouldn't budge so i tapped it up and painted around it. was that hard for you to take off also?

thanks mike!

Old 09-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Congrats! T'was a fun process, no?

After this thread, i ran into condensation and actually re-opened the lights to clean and re-seal. During this time i also added more butyl tape around the perimeter. Once that was done it was basically heat, put together, press, hold, heat, press, screw, heat press and cool.

Oddly enough, as much seal as i had on there, one headlight had *very* slight condensation just a week ago (gone now), while the other is starting to fog up (it's not moisture, just some type of fogging/hazing which i think may have to do with the tape or glue i used to fix the broken parking light holder... glue/tape may be gassing out.)

The part you broke, are you referring to the long piece that holds the bulb (this is what i partially broke above), or the glass/lens that covers the bulb and is clipped onto the housing? If it's the latter, i taped over mine instead of removing for paint after realizing it's not the type of plastic that would easily budge without possibly breaking it.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
yeah the top one that has clips in the back i should of known after the first clip broke! i was planning on gluing it taping it but i think ill just let it sit as is. it wiggles a tad bit but i dont think it will be noticeable.

thanks for answering my questions always helpful mike!

ill be sure to take my time sealing it to avoid having to redo this.

would this be something to use when sealing the headlights?

BUTYL-FLEX Gutter and Flashing Sealant

have some lying around if not so i can get some butyl tape.

you should of driven down here for the meet!!!!!!!!!!