New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Bought my first G35 last week

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my first G35 last week

Hello all i just purchased my first G35 last week and while i HAVE owned a Nissan before (a 1993 Maxima SE 5MT back in 1999) I had never owned one since and last week found a deal and decided to take a chance on it. For a couple of months there were 2 cars sitting at my local Credit Union that had been repossessed, one being a Silver 2005 350Z with 118k on the odometer and a Silver G35 with 181k on the odometer and both had a sign in the window saying "Make us an offer". I decided to inquire about them and was told both had dead batteries but if i had jumper cables they would bring the keys out to me and let me look at them. I was more interested in the G35 since it had rear seats, and all the seats looked perfect except for where your butt goes in the 2 front seats and the dash had some cracking around the clock area (im assuming this is normal for them?) anyway the G35 cranked up but had some ticking for the first 20 seconds then completely went away and would rev very nicely. body looked good, only had some clear coat coming off on the tops of the side mirrors, and evidently it used to have rims on it as it had been lowered and when the previous owner knew it was going to be repossessed he quickly pulled them off and put some cheap steel wheels on, apparently from an Altima or something would be my guess. Anyway i decided to shoot the moon and throw out an offer of $1200 and they accepted it! I was able to start it and drive it home. Found out quickly that the gas gauge didnt read correctly as it still said it had 1/4 of a tank of gas in it yet died and wouldnt start again until i put more gas in to it. The top picture is after removing the steel wheels, the second picture shows the back of it when it still had the steel wheels on it. I ended up going to a local "Pick a Part" yard and found a G35 Sedan with good 17'' wheels and tires and bought them and put them on to get rid of the steel ones. Then i took a saw and cut off that ugly pipe sticking out the back (No idea why they changed it to a single tip but will be going back to duals ASAP.

So i have only had it for a week and it has way more power than i expected it to have for a $1200 car lol. Wife wants it to take kids to and from school with =/ will have to talk about that one...
There are only a few things on it that need to be remedied, the Sunroof will tilt up but not slide open, the radio controls on left side of steering wheel do not work, Traction control light and slip lights came on the other day and havent gone off, Airbag light is flashing (but car has never been wrecked or had the airbags blown.
Hopefully still not bad for a $1200 car that looks great with no body damage that runs like a scalded dog. I do expect that i will need to put some money into a few things though. So far loving the car.

Attached Thumbnails Bought my first G35 last week-33851505_10214477993376788_1184307420503998464_o.jpg   Bought my first G35 last week-34137068_10214504125030063_716991128745803776_o.jpg  

Last edited by Chris Esch; 06-05-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Absolute steal~ Good luck!

Old 06-05-2018, 12:40 AM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
For the sunroof, there is a reset procedure which fixed mine when it would only tilt as well.
The flashing airbag light also has a reset procedure which you can find on the forum somewhere.
For the lights, they normally come on when there's some sort of error. Has the engine light come on too? Either way, get it scanned at a local auto store if you can to see what error codes come up. Sometimes error codes come up before the engine light gets a chance to illuminate. It is likely something simple like a sensor somewhere, but the code (if any) will help narrow it down.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:16 AM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
For the sunroof, there is a reset procedure which fixed mine when it would only tilt as well.
The flashing airbag light also has a reset procedure which you can find on the forum somewhere.
For the lights, they normally come on when there's some sort of error. Has the engine light come on too? Either way, get it scanned at a local auto store if you can to see what error codes come up. Sometimes error codes come up before the engine light gets a chance to illuminate. It is likely something simple like a sensor somewhere, but the code (if any) will help narrow it down.
Yeah i tried the sunroof reset a couple of times but it would tilt up and back down, then go down like it was going to open but never started sliding back and would just go back up to home position. (unless the procedure for 2005 G35 is different than the one i found)
The check engine light has never come on since i bought it. I have a code reader and looked to see if it showed any pending codes and it said no codes found so no help there to pinpoint anything.
havent tried airbag one. will search the reset procedure for it.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:07 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Yep even with high mileage you got a hell of a deal. Airbag reset is simple process. With the key in the ignition turn the car to on but don't start it. When the airbag light comes on as part of the start up test and before the light starts flashing turn the car off. Lather, rinse, repeat 3-4 times then start the car, the flashing light should go away if there's nothing wrong with the system. Had to do this last week after pulling the front passenger seat to repair a failing power seat switch.

The slip and VDC lights might just mean your brake fluid is low and/or your pads might need replacing. Other possible causes could be an alignment out of whack or mismatched tire sizes(rolling diameter). The dash cracking is a very common problem, there are a few ways posted on the forum to fill the cracks and repaint so the dash looks better.

With 180K miles and no proof of any maintenance first thing I would do is replace all fluids, belts, air intake filter, cabin air filter and check brakes/rotors for needed replacements. The second thing I'd do is go through the suspension and replace every single crappy rubber bushing under the car. It's going to be expensive unless you can DIY all or most of them, it's a lot of hours so labor costs will kill you. A lot of members have gone the poly route for better longevity.

Welcome to our dysfunctional little family and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:33 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Originally Posted by Chris Esch
Wife wants it to take kids to and from school with =/ will have to talk about that one...
Go offer the bank another $1000 for the 350Z then you can both have a new car

Old 06-09-2018, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Go offer the bank another $1000 for the 350Z then you can both have a new car
Well, to be honest, when i hooked up the battery cables to the 350Z (which only had 118k miles on the odometer) it wouldnt even turn over which made me worried that it might have a locked up and blown motor. Bank said it was brought in on a towtruck.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:40 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Then offer them $500 lol.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:43 PM
Then offer them $500 lol.
Wife just said when she went by the bank last night it was gone. so someone must have already bought it lol I did tell the Asian guy at NTB that put new wheel studs on the rear passenger side about it last week and he kept asking me the address of the bank.

Last edited by Chris Esch; 06-09-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Yep even with high mileage you got a hell of a deal. Airbag reset is simple process. With the key in the ignition turn the car to on but don't start it. When the airbag light comes on as part of the start up test and before the light starts flashing turn the car off. Lather, rinse, repeat 3-4 times then start the car, the flashing light should go away if there's nothing wrong with the system. Had to do this last week after pulling the front passenger seat to repair a failing power seat switch.

The slip and VDC lights might just mean your brake fluid is low and/or your pads might need replacing. Other possible causes could be an alignment out of whack or mismatched tire sizes(rolling diameter). The dash cracking is a very common problem, there are a few ways posted on the forum to fill the cracks and repaint so the dash looks better.

With 180K miles and no proof of any maintenance first thing I would do is replace all fluids, belts, air intake filter, cabin air filter and check brakes/rotors for needed replacements. The second thing I'd do is go through the suspension and replace every single crappy rubber bushing under the car. It's going to be expensive unless you can DIY all or most of them, it's a lot of hours so labor costs will kill you. A lot of members have gone the poly route for better longevity.

Welcome to our dysfunctional little family and we hope you enjoy your stay.
Airbag reset worked and light hasn't come back on since. Thanks! I Do know for a fact that the pads need replacing so i will change them next along with getting the oil change. Oil was 3 quarts low but i have read that these cars seem to enjoy drinking oil regularly.
i Changed the air filter (other one looked horrible and was coming apart) and it appears i am missing a piece of ductwork that attaches to the left side of the air filter box. I guess another trip to the junk yard is in order to see if one of the 2 G35's there still has that piece available so it isnt just sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

Last edited by Chris Esch; 06-09-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:31 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
3 quarts low makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. That is DANGEROUSLY close to spinning or seizing a bearing.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:34 PM
3 quarts low makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. That is DANGEROUSLY close to spinning or seizing a bearing.
Well after putting in 2 quarts it was a little above the low mark on the dipstick so i just added a third. I want to slap whoever designed that dipstick btw lol