New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

I cant figure out why the battery is draining

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a g35x , 4door
I cant figure out why the battery is draining

I have a 2005 g35x and the belt is squealing a little bit and the last two times I've driven it loses power and when I press the gas it acts like it's in some kind of limp home mode it will do about 5 mph and dash lights start flickering and the temp jumps way up but doesn't shut down but has no power when gas is applied ...the belt isnt broken and the battery is brand new I changed battery after the first time and when I get home its gurgling like the thermostat is stuck maybe this is problem idk but when I go to crank it back up the battery is too dead to crank it but it will take a jump and start and run for a few minutes then right back into the limp mode...I cant figure if the alternator may be bad , and would the alternator make the belt break ??, as the belt is not broken . And I dont know what to do besides take it to a mechanic for a phenominal fee ....can anyone help?
ps ...I did call triple a and they said if it was the alternator there would be a light on signifying that was the problem is this true?
...oh yea I'm not sure if this is relevant to the problem but my back passenger side brake has been giving problems like its sticking ...idk if this is related to my issue

Last edited by Jasonjchipley; 08-11-2021 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Some info left out
Old 08-12-2021, 07:34 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Plug in an OBD2 scanner and see what codes it's throwing.

Old 08-12-2021, 07:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
As for the alternator light, yes, but only if the light is actually working.

Turn the key to ON, your dash lights will all turn on for a few seconds, this is the internal lamp check for the dash. See if you can find the battery light.

As for the brakes, unrelated, usually it's the slide pins that need greased, or they didn't get greased last time the brakes were replaced.

Thermostat gurgling, is the engine overheating? Is the reservoir full of coolant up to the level mark?

As for the electrical problem, sounds like a dirty/corroded connection. Clean up the positive battery, the fusible link, and the starter main, and the alternator main. The negative, where the negative cable attaches to the chassis, the engine to chassis jumper on the passenger/right side that goes between the timing chain cover and the chassis below the coolant reservoir.