New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

2008 g35 just cranks and won’t start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 g35 base sedan rwd
2008 g35 just cranks and won’t start

My car died on me when I was driving home from work about a week ago. I got it jump started and made it to my destination.The weather is freezing and I figured my battery was old so that was why it died. Then the next day on my way to work it died on me again and someone came to help and we tried to jumpstart it but it would only crank. I got the car towed back to my house and I replaced the battery and it still only cranks now and won’t start. I waited a couple days and just yesterday I got the car to start when I gave it a little gas and drove around my apt complex and then parked the car. I tried to start is again and it still just cranks. I am adding a link to the video of the cranking on YouTube with this post to see if anyone is familiar with the sound of the cranking and to see if they could point me in the right direction in terms of solutions. Could it be the starter or alternator? Crankshaft sensors? I have no idea.

https://youtube.com/shorts/WA2PfP2FeLc?feature=share

Old 01-06-2023, 08:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Relatively stock
Check the fuel filter

Old 01-06-2023, 10:50 PM
Received 398 Likes on 361 Posts
A crankshaft or camshaft sensor went bad most likely.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:23 AM
2008 g35 base sedan rwd
Originally Posted by 12pawsinn
Check the fuel filter
Okay thank you, I will get back to you if it starts up or not

The following users liked this post:
12pawsinn (01-07-2023)
Old 01-07-2023, 07:24 AM
2008 g35 base sedan rwd
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
A crankshaft or camshaft sensor went bad most likely.
I read somewhere on another thread that if it’s cranking and not starting it’s more likely the crankshaft sensor instead of the camshaft sensor. Do you know if that’s true?

Old 01-07-2023, 05:08 PM
Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
Does the RPM needle move when you crank it? You can also try spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid near the throttle body. If the RPM moves your crank sensor is probably fine and if it starts using starting fluid you probably have a fuel issue.

Old 01-07-2023, 05:16 PM
2008 g35 base sedan rwd
Originally Posted by coffeysm
Does the RPM needle move when you crank it? You can also try spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid near the throttle body. If the RPM moves your crank sensor is probably fine and if it starts using starting fluid you probably have a fuel issue.
The RPM needle barely moves past the first notch, doesn’t even reach the 1. I can upload another video I took of me cranking the car showing the dashboard and post the link just like before if that would help.

Old 01-07-2023, 07:15 PM
Try the starting fluid or carb cleaner test to see if it starts too.

Elmudathir (01-07-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 10:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 coupe
Originally Posted by Elmudathir
My car died on me when I was driving home from work about a week ago. I got it jump started and made it to my destination.The weather is freezing and I figured my battery was old so that was why it died. Then the next day on my way to work it died on me again and someone came to help and we tried to jumpstart it but it would only crank. I got the car towed back to my house and I replaced the battery and it still only cranks now and won’t start. I waited a couple days and just yesterday I got the car to start when I gave it a little gas and drove around my apt complex and then parked the car. I tried to start is again and it still just cranks. I am adding a link to the video of the cranking on YouTube with this post to see if anyone is familiar with the sound of the cranking and to see if they could point me in the right direction in terms of solutions. Could it be the starter or alternator? Crankshaft sensors? I have no idea.

Check Your Keys! Something similar happened to me a couple of times and both times,the chip in my keys that failed. The Chip in your KEys may be failing. check your keys.

Elmudathir (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 10:59 AM
2008 g35 base sedan rwd
Originally Posted by ChiefAppop
Check Your Keys! Something similar happened to me a couple of times and both times,the chip in my keys that failed. The Chip in your KEys may be failing. check your keys.
my car still responds to my keys though so I don’t think they are playing any role in the car not starting up

Old 01-10-2023, 01:31 PM
2008 g35 base sedan rwd

This is the video of what my dashboard looks like when cranking.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
In following your post it appears that this problem has been ongoing for two weeks. Instead of guessing and throwing parts, wasting time and money, why not just call AAA and have your vehicle flatbeded to the nearest Infiniti dealer and pay the diagnostic fee to find the root cause?
A fifteen year old vehicle has many parts that are at or near the end of their useful life.
Do you really want to continue to pour $$$ into such an old vehicle?
Telcoman

Old 01-10-2023, 03:52 PM
2008 g35 base sedan rwd
Originally Posted by telcoman
In following your post it appears that this problem has been ongoing for two weeks. Instead of guessing and throwing parts, wasting time and money, why not just call AAA and have your vehicle flatbeded to the nearest Infiniti dealer and pay the diagnostic fee to find the root cause?
A fifteen year old vehicle has many parts that are at or near the end of their useful life.
Do you really want to continue to pour $$$ into such an old vehicle?
Telcoman
honestly I’ve just been trying to get some advice before I get paid tomorrow to check estimates on how much these potential fixes would cost to get done. Also if anyone was familiar and had a cheaper solution than the Infiniti dealer lol.

Old 01-10-2023, 06:41 PM
Did you try starting it with carb cleaner or starting fluid? That will tell you if there is a fuel delivery issue or if you need to look elsewhere. Your car needs need air, fuel, and spark to basically start. Sure there are some other caveats to that like NATS, compression, timing, etc..

Old 01-11-2023, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
honestly I’ve just been trying to get some advice before I get paid tomorrow to check estimates on how much these potential fixes would cost to get done. Also if anyone was familiar and had a cheaper solution than the Infiniti dealer lol.
In order for a vehicle to start it needs:
1- Fuel
2- Spark
3- Air

If you are unable to confirm all three are available then you need some professional assistance.
Have you checked for any codes?
Waiting to get paid?
Use a credit card and pay the bill next month when it comes.
With such an old vehicle shouldn't you have an emergency repair fund set aside to cover emergencies such as this?
Good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2008 g35 just cranks and won’t start