NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Geico cut our premiun by half!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Geico cut our premiun by half!!!

By now most of you in Jersey know that Geico is back in town after 30 years. Just changed our policy online and it saved us a bundle! Granted our driving records are excellent but my previous insurer did not appreciated it and kept on increase our premium for no reason every six months!!! I am glad the gecko is back in town!

2004 G35X

Old 09-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Geico cut our premiun by half!!!

Just did the same thing. Not quite half but better than 30%...some $1,300 per year.. (3 cars / two drivers). Now, the mod list and schedule are looking a lot better.

'04.5 G35C, 6MT - TB / Willow; Prem, Aero, Z-tube / K&N Panel, Alum Pedals & Lovin' every minute! "LMG_35C"

Old 09-02-2004, 09:07 AM

lgangi
are you 1300 for 3 cars, 2 drivers? or is that your savings.

i am 2 cars, 1 driver, 1900 per year, full coverage

04 6mtC, DG - possibly most babied G on the board.

Old 09-02-2004, 09:30 AM

That's my savings...; ~30% or $1,300. The highest portion of savings (~50% Comp / collision) was on my G. Seems that Geico views the vehicle / risk much differently. I have 3 vehicles - 02 Subie OBW, 02 Jetta 1.8L, and the 04 G35c. Now paying $2400/year with full coverage / $500 deductibles...that I might raise for even more savings.. Like the ad says - I got good news...just switched to Geico.

'04.5 G35C, 6MT - TB / Willow; Prem, Aero, Z-tube / K&N Panel, Alum Pedals & Lovin' every minute! "LMG_35C"

Old 09-02-2004, 10:52 PM

i too am at 500 deductables. my rates went up slightly when i got divorced.

i won't switch though. i am with NJM and they have been great. they don't raise rates for accidents or tickets.

Old 09-07-2004, 02:05 PM

Hi,

I am switching my insurance carrier. somehow Geico gave me a higher quote then the others. maybe because i am in NYC and single. But wondering if you can help me to decide between Allstate and Prograssive. Progressive gave me a little lower quote, (about $200 less per year). Which one should I go for?

Old 09-09-2004, 02:58 PM

Just switched to GEICO in NJ for a $400 savings.

Does anyone go for the Limitation of Lawsuits option? I didn't but it would save me several hundred more.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:03 AM

i have been donig the lawsuit limitations options for a few years. it saved me money. however, i almost got screwed because of it.

you can recover medical and auto damages but no pain and suffering unless it is a permanent injury. your call

Old 09-10-2004, 09:14 AM

I have always taken the limited lawsuit option for the savings that it's worth. In my view, insurance is to cover real expenses, and is not an opportunity to go down this pain and suffering path. Medical and property coverge is the primary risk reduction benefit of insurance. IMO, I wish more people would opt for the limitation and save us all the pain and suffering.

Old 09-10-2004, 09:56 AM

I know from personal family experience- with older folks- that there can be significant and lasting pain even in the absence of a visible serious injury.

Maybe someone knows. If you take the limitation are you only barred from collecting on your own policy or on even the at fault driver's policy.

I so trust my driving that I would risk taking the limit if it ment I could not collect on my policy only but was free to sue the other driver for pain and suffering if it was warranted.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:10 AM

Although this may not directly answer the questions, I lifted this from the NJ Auto Insurance Buyer's guide regarding

LIMITED RIGHT TO SUE — By choosing the Limitation on Lawsuit Option, you agree not to sue the person who caused an auto accident for your pain and suffering unless you sustain one of the permanent injuries listed below AND the injury or injuries are determined to have a serious impact on
your life: (Choosing this option does not affect your ability to sue for economic damages such as medical expenses and lost wages.)
• loss of body part
• significant disfigurement or significant scarring
• a displaced fracture
• loss of a fetus
• permanent injury (Any injury shall be considered permanent when the body part or organ, or both, has not healed to function normally and will not heal to function normally with further medical treatment.)
• death

I read this as having protection for real injuries, including pain...and have given up my right to pursue the "pain and suffering" that applies to "mental anguish" from the loss of function and/or family. Would be good if we had an lawyer to decipher it from experience. Hope that none of us ever has to have this applied...

Old 09-10-2004, 01:34 PM

"I read this as having protection for real injuries, including pain"

That, unfortunately, is not my interpretation.

I see one suffering unusual pain, but in the absence of a visible severe injury, you would not even be compensated the funds to investigate the pain. (Trust me that such pain is possible. Even whiplash can be severe and would not be compensated.)

Now that is mitigated somewhat if you have health insurance.

But still, it's a right not, IMHO, worth giving up for a few hundred dollars.

Old 09-10-2004, 04:12 PM

Thruway,
I understand you might have some unfortunate experience here but this is what I read into the;

(Choosing this option does not affect your ability to sue for economic damages such as medical expenses and lost wages.)

As in most legal cases, this is a matter of interpretation. I'm reading the "pain & suffering" as meaning mental anguish vs. pain that is directly attributed to an injury that IS covered. I'm also believing that becuase there is a very fine line between them, a good lawyer could make the argument either way if the case were worth pursuing. In the end, as I said before, hope that no one ever needs this. In my case I'll stick with the limited tort. The insurance companies are just trying to reduce their own legal overhead by reducing the "frivilous" claims that they would other wise be obligated to support due to NJ's no fault policy.

Regards...stay safe

Old 09-17-2004, 10:08 PM

Got quote form Geico the other day and it was $500 higher than my present insurance company and this was with a lower liability coverage.
I currently have Mercury insurance and they have been in NJ for about 1 year. They have excellent rates if you have no accidents, tickets, older, excellent credit rating and homeowner. $1450 per year 500/500 comp/col.

Old 09-20-2004, 02:03 PM

Gidyup

I am hesitating to write this because it may make you wonder and it may be nothing.

But when they first started advertising I searched the Net, particularly Usenet, for discussion about Mercury.

I didn't like what I found.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Geico cut our premiun by half!!!