Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Future Runs/Meets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Future Runs/Meets

Hey Folks,

Either Shane or myself will posting up loose info on a Santa Cruz III run, soon. The route will take a small material change, for obvious reasons.

In the meantime, I would be quite remiss, if I did not make the following comments.

All of the previous runs/meets were put together for everyones' enjoyment and pleasure. Although the scale of these events were quite small when compared to some of the other events, which are organized through our sister boards . . . Much time, effort and expense is used to assure that everything works out well and that a good time is had by all. Props to those of you, whom have always volunteered to head up caravans to certain staging areas. you know who you are.

I have made these comments before, prior to runs, but . . .For all future events, please keep the following in mind during the formal run, while you are part of the group:

1. We share the road with other drivers. So, please be courteous and abide by the rules of the road. Use your head and not the metal on the pedal.

2. These are not scramble runs. Please maintain your position in the group. This is for the safety of others outside of the group, as well as for the safety of those participating in the group run.

3. Have a good experience on the roads with your fellow group drivers and maintance a safe distance between you and the car ahead of you . . . Especially on the twisties. Enjoy the ride.

4. Most importantly . . . DO NOT attract attention from the local Law Enforcement agencies, as we usually drive through many of them to reach our destination. Personally, I do not give a Flying Rat's A$$ what you may or may not have installed on your rides. You cannot out run the local law enforcements' radios. To "Show Off" the goods on your ride during these runs is not a prudent idea and demonstrates a lack of respect for others in the group as well as a serious lack of other things.

I have never had any issues with any of the previous Santa Cruz nor the Monterey runs. We attempt to keep it safe. As an example, during the Monterey run at a quick roadside stop to allow the pack to catch up . . . A fellow member had asked me why I had not picked up the pace. My response was, "I am responsible for every car behind me reaching our destination safely." Unless otherwise stated and it never will be. These events are not a race. These runs usually have had a good number of cars participating. We leave as a group, we drive as a group, and we all arrive as a group. Prior to reaching a formal staging area and after the formal run/meet, drivers may perform whatever stunts they desire outside of the group. Which leads me to one last final comment. During Shane's Stanford run, I read that either an individual or individuals while passing local law enforcement, which were parked on the side of the road attending to an accident of sorts, had purportedly revved their engines. This may have been the sole cause for the wrath of the law to have come down upon the unfortunate members whom had received their tickets.

We attract enough attention as is . . . We do not need to elevate the situation. If everyone wishes to participate in a large successful group run, I think that the above guidelines are not too much to ask.

Oh, btw . . . I think that Eloy's (Cru) suggestion some 2 years ago during the first SC run and Shane's attempt at implementing subgroup leaders in the pack for the Stanford run was an excellent idea for obvious reasons. We just simply need some people to jump in and offer their assistance.

Any suggestions and/or comments are more than welcome and would be quite appreciated.

Edit: 4.5.07 . . . With all of the meets and runs coming up, I decided to sticky this post for a bit . . . Just as a simple reminder.

Last edited by Andy2434; 04-06-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember to put on your front plates and take the tint off your front windows before coming

Old 03-05-2007, 03:28 PM
take the tint off of our front windows?

Old 03-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hahaha Andy, I dont think we have to worry aobut POPO's wrath anymore, just yours , I think all of us can and will agree with you on your thoughts, and do hope we can keep those guide lines in mind for the future meets, I am sure that no one wants to throw out bunch rules/regulations to impeding the fun and enjoyment of attending the meets of all of us, I wanted the meet to be as imformal and casual as possible but its simply unaviodable and unfortunate that some simple and straightforward guide lines must be said to ensure the enjoyment and vitality of future meet for all of us.

One thing that I am working on is the sub-groupings, it was my fault at last meet that I didnt make myself clear (like I ever was ) as whom to and how you should follow, When you arrives at next meet? please come and check-in with me and I will assign you to a group by the order of check-ins and group should park together to cut down the confusion when we taking off for the drive, you can decides who will be the leader in your group then and it will also give you a chance to meet and get yo know ppl in your group better.

When we do have meet its usually on weekend at parking lot of certain business, so not to be in the way of their customers, and I sure that you dont want some SUV/mini vans park right next to your ride so please park as far away from their entrances as possibe, I will try to get there early to direct where we should park.

I wont post details of future meets anymore like meeting locations/ drive routes/ destination, so if you are interested of attending the future meets or want to be on the mailing list, please shoot me a PM or E-mail at limeg35@yahoo.com I will send you the details and keep you informed.

If we govern ourselfs? we wont have worry about anyone else trying to, so let's just enjoy our meet!!!

Last edited by limeg35; 03-05-2007 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:52 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this sounds very good cant wiat for the next run! shane tell your prius buddys to stop having meets when we do!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Well said Andy , and I don't disagree with a thing in there. Special thanks to you and Shane for putting together such good events. I for one don't want to be in a hairy situation when I have to drive for an hour plus to get to the first staging area. Just enjoy the ride.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by cyberecho79
Well said Andy , and I don't disagree with a thing in there. Special thanks to you and Shane for putting together such good events. I for one don't want to be in a hairy situation when I have to drive for an hour plus to get to the first staging area. Just enjoy the ride.
I second that.
Email sent to Shane.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:44 PM
workin...

shane you have email

Old 03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Shane . . . Unfortunately, we need to resort to these measures to ensure the enjoyment and success of the next few runs. I have to believe that these tactics will be short lived, if we can maintain ourselves.

When we all drive together in a large group, we will always attract much undeserved attention. Regardless of what we do, some will always risk the scrutiny of the local PD, due to fact of not having a front mounted front license plate, dark tints, extremely loud aftermarket exhaust set-ups, etc. Especially, if drivers insist on announcing themselves in various ways for whatever reasons.

Shane, per my previous pre-G35Driver Santa Cruz runs, perhaps the subgroup leaders should be preselected. These group leaders will need a 2-way radio and should be quite familiar with the route prior to the run. The preselection will afford the group leaders the time to prepare for their run. Sub groups should consist of no more than 5 cars. Each group is responsible for itself at traffic lights, stop signs and the like. Each group is assigned a number per their position in the group, so that we can all keep track of eachother during radio communications.

For the first Santa Cruz run back in '05, I had posted turn by turn instructions with their respective odometer readings . . . Remember? . . . You were there with my brother, Carol and myself, as we drove down to SC and tracked everything on the dry run. I do not think that many people had either a copy of the route nor had zeroed their odometers. LOL

The said sub group leaders should arrive a bit earlier . . . So that as cars arrive at the formal staging area, we can start assigning the subgroups and have the cars all parked in the proper positions. That will alleviate the scramble, which I saw at the Serramonte parking lot a couple of weeks ago.

In order for this to work properly . . . We need subgroup leaders to volunteer their services in advance. We should have a good idea on how many cars will be attending the evening before the drive and can arrange the groups accordingly as they arrive at the staging area.

Oh, btw, Shane . . . Hehehe . . . I'll pass on the honors of leading the group over to you for this next SC III run. I'll take up the rear this time. Hopefully, this will turn into an annual spring run, as I have always hoped for.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:39 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2 ways will help alot!

Old 03-05-2007, 06:53 PM
workin...

yeah next time i'm at costco i'm grabbing a pair of 2 ways

Old 03-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Any of you folks interested in volunteering to act as group learders? . . . New thread.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:39 PM
The reason I posted that ppl select their own group leader on the day of the meet is just as an back up plan in case that no one volunteered in advance, or less than what we needed for, or in case larger turn out than expected....last meet there were only one person volunteered ahead of time out of about 40 cars and I had to force one person at day of thee meet, on top of that? I had to make two more leaders on the spot as some did not follow the two leaders out of parking lot, they just keep on circling the parking lot , directions is something that I need to improve on, but than again, if we all take few minutes to familiarize ourselfs with the drive routes? we dont or need to have sub-leaders, of course that will be too easy.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
I feel your pain, Shane. Here's is an opportunity for some to help out. I remember some of the confusion during our first Monterey run. I was in the front and you brought up the rear. At some point, via 2 way radio, you and I had determined that the rear of the group was some 8 miles behind on Hiway 1. I pulled over to afford the rear group to catch up. Before I knew it, some people at the rear of the waiting group had pulled out at speed and took off.

Either people were in a hurry or they failed to understand the group driving concept. I wish to avoid this sort of thing from happening again.

I may be proven wrong, but I am sure that people will help out with this request. Otherwise, it can turn into a " Free For All," as we have seen. Then, what is the point of all this?

Where's Eloy? . . . We need him in here kicking some A$$ . . . LMAO!

Originally Posted by limeg35
The reason I posted that ppl select their own group leader on the day of the meet is just as an back up plan in case that no one volunteered in advance, or less than what we needed for, or in case larger turn out than expected....last meet there were only one person volunteered ahead of time out of about 40 cars and I had to force one person at day of thee meet, on top of that? I had to make two more leaders on the spot as some did not follow the two leaders out of parking lot, they just keep on circling the parking lot , directions is something that I need to improve on, but than again, if we all take few minutes to familiarize ourselfs with the drive routes? we dont or need to have sub-leaders, of course that will be too easy.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
workin...

i'm up for helping and organizing. but i'm going to take a pass on leading any subgroups.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Future Runs/Meets