Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Engine Oil Consumption Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:01 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem... I'm consuming up a lot of oil within the 3500mile span... But it really started to burn up oil after i put on hf cats...

The dealer is going put a new motor in when you have aftermarket mods on aswell???

Old 10-02-2007, 05:03 AM
J-Dizzle
Originally Posted by andy2434
Jeff . . . I wish I had your oil consumption rate. So, your engine is consuming some 1.25 quarts in 3,500 miles? At my current rate, my engine would have consumed all 5 quarts of oil by 3,500 miles.
Hi Andy,

I still think 1.25 quarts for 3,500 miles is pretty bad. I'm currently running 5W-30 RP Synthetic and if it continues down this road I might need to switch back to dino oil. On a side note, not sure if it's due to the oil consumption but after I wash the car and take it out for a short drive, I get this black powdery residue on the a$$ end of my car, is that burnt oil or what?!?!!

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Sure...I'll find you. I'll bring my excel spreadsheet with my consumption since day one new.

I go to Infiniti of Fairfield.
Caught them in a lie today too. There's a lot I know about them that they don't know I know about...lol
Will tell you details tomorrow, being generally my post are very long and I know it

-Paradox- Wife wants a IS350 real bad. She's in love with those.
They might not look as good but they run a lot smoother and do not consume oil as bad as the G.

Last edited by Mad Paradox; 10-02-2007 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Mad Paradox
Hi Andy,

I still think 1.25 quarts for 3,500 miles is pretty bad. I'm currently running 5W-30 RP Synthetic and if it continues down this road I might need to switch back to dino oil. On a side note, not sure if it's due to the oil consumption but after I wash the car and take it out for a short drive, I get this black powdery residue on the a$$ end of my car, is that burnt oil or what?!?!!
Just for the record I have always used dino oil and I'm buring oil just as much as some of you guys that use syn oil.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Andy,

I get this black powdery residue on the a$$ end of my car, is that burnt oil or what?!?!!

sounds like your runnning rich.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Bet you a nickel that yours would be worse using synth.
Generally when any engine has an oil issue (leaking or burning), synth will enhance that issue, due to smaller molecules than dino, so I've read.
I agree with you and if I don't get a new engine this time around then I may switch to syn and then have another set of test run just to prove that fact.

What happens when you guys that are running syn in your cars to the dealer during consumption testing, do you tell them you are running syn so they will top it off with syn? I know that they just top it off with dino oil as off right now.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:33 PM
J-Dizzle
Originally Posted by accordhybrd
I agree with you and if I don't get a new engine this time around then I may switch to syn and then have another set of test run just to prove that fact.

What happens when you guys that are running syn in your cars to the dealer during consumption testing, do you tell them you are running syn so they will top it off with syn? I know that they just top it off with dino oil as off right now.
Hmm... if you really want a new engine you can just let them put whatever they want in your engine and let them blow it up.

Anyone planning on doing a VQ37 engine swap? Hmm... and does that engine have oil consumption issues as well? Would be nice to have the dealership say, oh btw we ran out of VQ35 engines so we threw in a VQ37 motor in for you =D

Last edited by Mad Paradox; 10-02-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Hmm... if you really want a new engine you can just let them put whatever they want in your engine and let them blow it up.

Anyone planning on doing a VQ37 engine swap? Hmm... and does that engine have oil consumption issues as well? Would be nice to have the dealership say, oh btw we ran out of VQ35 engines so we threw in a VQ37 motor in for you =D
To be honest I really don't want a new engine. But given the fact that the car is burning oil I would hope that Infiniti is going to step up like they did for Andy.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I hear you on that...PITFA...
Unless you're worse than 1qt/1000mi, I was told no replacement by my dealer
As of right now I'm 1/2 in the last 1,000 mile check. I should be bringing the car back to the dealer in the next or so for my final oil level check. I will let you all know what happens.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally, I fell that, if an engine consumes half of its oil capacity prior to an oil service . . . It should be given consideration as to being a real problem.

I don't know if there are regulated guidelines for this sort of thing. However, consumers should be better protected against this type of situation. We spend our hard earned dollars in good faith that we are buying high quality products, as advertised.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:14 PM
J-Dizzle
Going slightly off topic, my car makes a rattling noise even when I give it a little extra gas during acceleration. Can this be fixed or is there a TBA out for it? I notice it more so when it's cold but it's presence is still there even though it's already hot out. I've read somewhere on the boards that it could either be the engine, tranny, and or even the rear axle hubs?!?!? Anyone care to help me with their words of wisdom?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:22 PM
battle froggy
Going slightly off topic, my car makes a rattling noise even when I give it a little extra gas during acceleration. Can this be fixed or is there a TBA out for it? I notice it more so when it's cold but it's presence is still there even though it's already hot out. I've read somewhere on the boards that it could either be the engine, tranny, and or even the rear axle hubs?!?!? Anyone care to help me with their words of wisdom?

like metal banging? is it all the time? and did you check your exhaust piping? cause i know the hks hits one little bolt near the rear axle

Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeff,

Outside of light engine knock, I would venture a guess that you may be experiencing a rear axle click, which is fixed via a TSB. I had the said fixed shortly after I purchased my G.

With regard to Kris' comment about the HKS exhaust. Yes, I did have one bolt that did rub/knock on the passenger's side exhaust piping just to the left of the differential, as viewed from the rear. It's up high underneath the car. I noticed it during the install. If this is the case . . . You can fix it by simply taking a ball peen hammer and tap the area down where the bolt would rub. However, over a long period of time, the said bolt should have tapped itself clear of the exhaust piping.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:04 PM
J-Dizzle
Jeff,

Outside of light engine knock, I would venture a guess that you may be experiencing a rear axle click, which is fixed via a TSB. I had the said fixed shortly after I purchased my G.

With regard to Kris' comment about the HKS exhaust. Yes, I did have one bolt that did rub/knock on the passenger's side exhaust piping just to the left of the differential, as viewed from the rear. It's up high underneath the car. I noticed it during the install. If this is the case . . . You can fix it by simply taking a ball peen hammer and tap the area down where the bolt would rub. However, over a long period of time, the said bolt should have tapped itself clear of the exhaust piping.
Originally Posted by kris79
like metal banging? is it all the time? and did you check your exhaust piping? cause i know the hks hits one little bolt near the rear axle
Thank you

Old 10-02-2007, 10:07 PM
battle froggy
Jeff,

when i had the axle clicks it was only in reverse and i could only hear it when i was going slow. its got to be some crazy axle clicks to hear it with a hks exhuast and accelerating.

does it click when your stopped?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:38 PM
1qt low in 1,000 mi (last time I took it in 1,000 miles ago). I actually meant to take it in soon because of the consumption test that I MYSELF HAD TO OPT IN FOR AND RECOMMEND to the last dealer I took it to, but the SES light beat me to it! Took it in today. I have had the car (bought used) for 3 months. I have had the VTC solenoid go bad 2X on me in that timeframe (about 2,500 miles total) one time the day after I bought it used, then today. When I requested the consumption 1,000 miles ago, they never put that in the records - it still burned oil, however, so hopefully that's round 1. Also a note in the prev record they topped oil off - that should be suffice right!?!? They did note this svc today that I burned 1qt in 1,000 mi. I am going back in 1k and hopefully don't have too many more rounds of this. Dealer was very open with candidly saying probably needs a new motor based on the 1Qt per 1,000 mi. I am the 2nd owner at 35,000 miles, and this problem has been documented since 8,000 miles on the car. Prev owner's dealer didn't want to do anything about it I guess, plus the guy leased it. I am not standing for it. I hope infiniti steps up to the plate and installs the XXXM1 or XXXXV1 or whatever part number it is handbuilt motor that doesn't have this problem (piston rings?). Andy - how is your new motor?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Consumption Rates