Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

High Engine Oil Consumption Rates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No new motor, yet. Still waiting for dealership to inform me of its arrival.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I have actually read every word of that recall (found it online). Problem was that the 1st time (around 12k) it was fixed with prev. owner, they replaced it (improperly?). I don't know why they keep replacing it (if they are even telling the truth), but it seems to work for now and all the consumption is documented. Wierd because they replace AND check and fill the oil ea. time.

And I agree, the motor should be basically bone dry for that solenoid to go bad is what they said, so there must be something really fvcked up in there to keep burning it out.

I just want my new engine v2 which seems to be the fix (any new stats on v2 owners), otherwise this thing is going to Carmax and I'll just take a hit and get another car - never an Infiniti again.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Has anyone tried a 5/40 synthetic oil to see if the oil consumption issues reduce. I am thinking that the rev-up engine may run better on a 5/40 weight due to it's higher redline. Could it be that some members with 05-06 6mt's rev-up's who experience oil consumption are driving the car at a higher RPM causing blow-buy?. What are your opinions on this?. It does seem that the consumption rate of 1 qrt every 1K are due to a serious engine issue in my eye, But curious to see what would happen if one of those members used a 5/40. Would consumption be less then 1 qrt in 5K?...... Any feedback?

Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Has anyone started a thread that compares VIN # and Years on 6mt who experiance oil cunsuption issues to see if we can find a trend?????????

Old 10-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Just got a phone call from Infiniti. There is a new shipment of engines leaving from Japan, tomorrow. Hopefully, one of those is mine.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:47 AM
J-Dizzle
So, I should bring my car in just for a Oil Consumption test any dealerships you guys recommend near the Milpitas area?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Either Oakland or Frontier. I have had good luck with Frontier in San Jose. I have been working with Brad.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:15 PM
NNA just called me due to my online complaint to BBB last night about my oil consumption which was just documented at 1qt in approx 1,000 mi on Sat. Fast turn around. NNA told me I probably needed a new engine. Told me that I would have to do 1 round of consumption test now. I requested one last svc'ing which was 1,200 miles from one I got on Sat. due to a SES light. I told them that it's BS because I requested it last time, and i just burned 1qt of oil and it's documented in my svc records that they topped svc'ing before last, then it off then measured 1qt low on Sat. He said I needed to start one now, and dealer needs to follow a process, and I need to be going to the same dealer. I said I requested one on Sat so I should be fine. He said, no go back and start it b.c there is a process. I said what process - he said tie it off, mark it, etc. I said, well I asked them if they did that both times, and they said no they did not tie or mark because they don't need to, just said come back in 1,000 miles. I said, not my fault svc techs don't know how to do what the customer asks, that's not MY problem -the 1st one needs to count that I just completed and failed over the last 2 months. This is a waste of my time if your going to make me come back to the dealer because they don't know what they're doing to test for this issue. I said the next time I come in, I want it for the fix, not for the test. Stay tuned. NNA confirmed a new engine built in Japan and confirmed that it fixes the problem - he did not know what was revised in the engine. Although, I wrote that in the BBB complaint, so I will quiz him on other details.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:42 PM
mine is 05 6mt sedan... i guess i'm gonna have to make an appointment to get it tested....

Old 10-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by anate
NNA just called me due to my online complaint to BBB last night about my oil consumption which was just documented at 1qt in approx 1,000 mi on Sat. Fast turn around. NNA told me I probably needed a new engine. Told me that I would have to do 1 round of consumption test now. I requested one last svc'ing which was 1,200 miles from one I got on Sat. due to a SES light. I told them that it's BS because I requested it last time, and i just burned 1qt of oil and it's documented in my svc records that they topped svc'ing before last, then it off then measured 1qt low on Sat. He said I needed to start one now, and dealer needs to follow a process, and I need to be going to the same dealer. I said I requested one on Sat so I should be fine. He said, no go back and start it b.c there is a process. I said what process - he said tie it off, mark it, etc. I said, well I asked them if they did that both times, and they said no they did not tie or mark because they don't need to, just said come back in 1,000 miles. I said, not my fault svc techs don't know how to do what the customer asks, that's not MY problem -the 1st one needs to count that I just completed and failed over the last 2 months. This is a waste of my time if your going to make me come back to the dealer because they don't know what they're doing to test for this issue. I said the next time I come in, I want it for the fix, not for the test. Stay tuned. NNA confirmed a new engine built in Japan and confirmed that it fixes the problem - he did not know what was revised in the engine. Although, I wrote that in the BBB complaint, so I will quiz him on other details.
Be patient . . . You are almost there.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I hope I am almost there. There doesn't seem to be TOO much resistance to fixing this problem so far, which is contrary to what I've read on this forum, at least in my case for some reason.

How is your new engine, Andy?
I have heard on 350z-tech that it's actually noticeably faster, and that guy hasn't even gotten it over 4,500 rpms!

I hope that they see that my engine has consumed oil from 8k miles, blew 2 VTC solenoids due to oil problems, and I just failed a consumption test during 2 visits to the dealer 1,000 miles apart (although not 'official'). Put the f--ng evidence together guys! No need to keep driving my car like this.

What is the part number. I have heard it ends in MZ for the 350Z and ends in a M1 or a MS for the G. Want to make sure I get the right engine.

Other issues would be warranty and exhaust. Warranty - I want 100k miles, which actually works out to approx 70k mi + the 36k miles I have on it right now. Especially if this really isn't the LONG TERM 'fix', and someone will be rooting around in my engine bay for 2 days.

Also, exhaust - it's probably covered in oil and soot (I can see the black soot on my tips). Can this be cleaned, or shoudl I go for replacement? Has anyone gotten their exhaust replaced because their headers, cats, and exhaust system is probably covered in soot, oil and debris?? I think one can make a logical argument for that. They should replace ALL parts affected by this problem.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Ummm...quick update on my oil thing.

Yesterday it was kinnda warm and my VQ was pinging the worse it ever has and seemed to be running really hot, but temp gauge and fluids a-ok.
And just added a quart couple days prior so I'm at full mark again

Anyone else with consumption been getting a lot of engine pinging?
Mine seems to be getting a lot worse
I was getting quite a bit of engine ping prior to installing the oil catch bottle. Warm days were the worst.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Thanks Andy...remember you mentioning that at BBQ.
After my situation all said and done...will go that route + tune for better A/F (you know which one ) + isothermal reducing heat soak.
Just wondering if others besides you and I had/have this condition too. Sounds like its going to detonate/ping itself to death.
Its getting bad when I can hear it over my Injen exhaust/JWT intake and running Chevron 91
Hmmm...detonation...death...VQ gooo BOOM!! That might be my saving grace We'll see what happens

Keep an eye out on that shipment over seas...keep us updated on your recent success
I will definitely keep you folks updated. I need to get an extended warranty, as well. That may or may not require getting an outside party involved.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
My new engine arrived from Japan, today. I am bringing my car in tomorrow for the swap. I really hope that this new engine resolves the OC issues. Man, I have waited 2 years for this fix.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Andy I truly hope that the new engine does not show any OC issues as before.

2 years is too long...You are a very patient man

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Engine Oil Consumption Rates