Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Questions regarding Auto Policies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:46 AM
J-Dizzle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions regarding Auto Policies

Thank God, no one was hurt, so, my girlfriend lost control of the car which resulted in her smashing into the side of the freeway wall on the 280 Northbound.
1. Damage wasn't too bad but the side curtain and the seat airbags deployed.
2. The right rear wheel where the tire meets the ground is tilted inward like a lot of positive camber.
3. The entire right side of the car is smashed and obviously a lot of paint was scrapped off.
4. Both the passenger side front and rear wheels were damaged
5. Right side rear view mirror is scratched all to hell
6. When the car hit the wall it was approximately 55 mph, and we hit the wall with the back rear quarter panel first which then snapped the front end in to smash the door and front quarter panel, which could have bent the frame...
7. The steering wheel is not dead center anymore and car does not drive straight

This is on a 2006 Honda Accord Coupe where the Kelly blue appraises the car to about $18,000'ish. The car had 19,000 miles and was in great condition, fully loaded.

My first question is, if you just so happen to have experience with this, is this car considered totaled, salvaged, or still repairable? Isn't it where if the cost exceeds a certain percentage of the car it's considered totaled?

And she currently has 21st Century Auto insurance, beware what you ask they take everything literally. So, she bought the car in Los Angeles and has a Insurance policy in Los Angeles with her family. Now, she recently moved up to live closer to me. Now, the problem is, her insurance policy is saying that she is not covered by the policy because she no longer lives in the household with the policy holder.... She had a 2005 Honda Civic that had full coverage, when buy her Accord the Honda Finance manager stated that she had a 10 day grace period from when she bought the car that her insurance from the Civic would cover her in the Accord. Now, the insurance company is saying that because she moved out from the household of the policy holder that she is no longer covered. Does anyone have any insight to what in the world is going on or is 21st Century just being shady and not owning up to their policy?

Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 AM
sorry to hear about that but glad no ones injured. well, your girlfriend has the insurance with her family in LA. cant you just tell them shes traveling in both places in a regular basis. we can all travel around and have more than 1 home right. that doesnt make sense to me. hope that helps

Old 04-14-2008, 03:23 AM
J-Dizzle
Originally Posted by mpp_us2003
sorry to hear about that but glad no ones injured. well, your girlfriend has the insurance with her family in LA. cant you just tell them shes traveling in both places in a regular basis. we can all travel around and have more than 1 home right. that doesnt make sense to me. hope that helps
Yeah, I completely agree, doesn't make sense that their own insurance agent would deny someone coverage because they live in two different locations.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Well being an insurance claims guy I can offer a word or two on this. Actually you should have coverage for 30 days under the policy for any newly acquired autos, that is the standard language under a typical policy. The insurance would fall under the vehicle the new one replaced, unless of course this was just a new car that did not replace anything prior. If this is a new car, not a replacement, then you could have a problem if she was not listed on the 21st policy. It does not sound like this is the case, it sounds like she was insured under that policy before the new car. If she is listed, then she is a named insured and they should be providing coverage since they charged premium for her to be on the policy.

I would call them out on it and make them put everything in writing concerning why they claim there is no coverage. And I would also get a copy of the policy from the family and see if she is a listed driver. If so then I think 21st has some explaining to do. If they insist on maintaining a denial then I would talk with the department of insurance and file a complaint. California laws always favor giving coverage to an insured so it sounds like you are in a good position to get policy benefits.

As for the total loss, typically when the repairs get to 80% of the actual cash value of the vehicle it is deemed a total loss. Different insurers set different limits for this so it is tough to tell. From the sound of the damage, you may be borderline.

Good luck, and if I can be of any other help hit me up.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:18 AM
J-Dizzle
Originally Posted by cyberecho79
Well being an insurance claims guy I can offer a word or two on this. Actually you should have coverage for 30 days under the policy for any newly acquired autos, that is the standard language under a typical policy. The insurance would fall under the vehicle the new one replaced, unless of course this was just a new car that did not replace anything prior. If this is a new car, not a replacement, then you could have a problem if she was not listed on the 21st policy. It does not sound like this is the case, it sounds like she was insured under that policy before the new car. If she is listed, then she is a named insured and they should be providing coverage since they charged premium for her to be on the policy.

I would call them out on it and make them put everything in writing concerning why they claim there is no coverage. And I would also get a copy of the policy from the family and see if she is a listed driver. If so then I think 21st has some explaining to do. If they insist on maintaining a denial then I would talk with the department of insurance and file a complaint. California laws always favor giving coverage to an insured so it sounds like you are in a good position to get policy benefits.

As for the total loss, typically when the repairs get to 80% of the actual cash value of the vehicle it is deemed a total loss. Different insurers set different limits for this so it is tough to tell. From the sound of the damage, you may be borderline.

Thank you that was very helpful, if I have any further questions I will send a PM your way.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by cyberecho79

nicely done Mike. I used to be an adjuster and now in sales and Mike is right on here. The only concern I might have is that it is not clear your girlfriend ever reported the new vehicle to the insurance company. You do have a grace period, however if you exceeded the grace period and did not repot the new car then you might be up a creek. Secondarily 21st Century is a low cost auto insurer which typically means they write asinine policies. I would not be surprised if they had a clause in their contract removing coverage when a child moves out of the parents residence. That is probably a long shot though. My guess, you just got a d**kwad of an adjuster. Call back and ask to speak with a supervisor and get the case reassigned.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Interesting, i have 21st insurance.
Cant you just say that your girlfriend still lives in la and was coming up here on vacation, they shouldnt know the difference. what is teh zip code she lives in in LA. I will see if I can find out anything On this. Also, just like the people above have asked, did she tell 21st she bought this car to have it covered?

Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 AM
J-Dizzle
Originally Posted by I has Kitty
Interesting, i have 21st insurance.
Cant you just say that your girlfriend still lives in la and was coming up here on vacation, they shouldnt know the difference. what is teh zip code she lives in in LA. I will see if I can find out anything On this. Also, just like the people above have asked, did she tell 21st she bought this car to have it covered?
Yeah, there were notified that she would be purchasing a newer Honda Accord and that she would be looking into getting a new policy.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:31 AM
i used to be an insurance agent for allstate insurance, currently with 21st century. You do have a 30 grace period and the responsibility to report your new vehicle to your insurance, if there is an accident within those 30 days your vehicle would be covered with the highest coverage that you have on your policy or what the vehicle that you are replacing it with.. I think the problem is that the insurance agent already knows that she lives in a different household, which means she is not covered because the vehicle is not being garaged in insurers garage address, its kind of like voided a part of the contract. If the insurance agent wouldnt have known this, then there wouldn't a problem...

Old 04-17-2008, 05:55 AM
J-Dizzle
Insurance = The Headache

Old 04-17-2008, 05:57 AM
I can haz potato?

Received 1,016 Likes on 791 Posts
sabertooth tiger
I hope everything works out for the best!