Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

question on tow fee?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on tow fee?

It was 9:30pm on last Friday, we were celebrating for my buddy's B-day. We bought something from SF Fillmore Safeway and chilled in the K-room next door. 2 hours later, someone came in and told us about somebody's car is being tow in the Safeway parking lot. We went out and both my G and my buddy's Mustang were gone. The Safeway security gave us the Golden Gate Garage company phone number to get our cars back. They were asking for $410/car. If we don't pay, they will charge overnight and etc. We ended up have to pay $820 with our credit card for less than 15 minutes towing and 5 minutes storing. My question is, is there any ways that i can fight this? If not, does that mean they can charge whatever they want if Safeway call them to tow?

Short version:
- We were celebrating for my Buddy's B-day on Friday night.
- We bought something from Safeway and went to chill in next door.
- 2 hrs later, my G and my buddy's Mustang got tow
- The private company is asking for $410 per car
- Is this normal?

Any input is welcome. Thank you very much.

Last edited by kenempireex; 05-20-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 PM
i did this once when i was in japantown. i parked and went off for 2 hours and my friend called me telling me they are towing my car so i sprinted over there and had to pay 200 bucks... just for them to let my car off the stupid tow truck...this is when i had my civic... but still i parked there knowing they can tow cars away.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Like..any charge around $200 is understandable. But $410??? This is like robbing.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:08 PM
I just talk to them again, and they said the RATE is set up by CHP. Is that true? Is there a department that I can complain about this? I still think $410 is way too much for a tow. My double fine zone speeding ticket was still much cheap. At least I think that one worth $380.

Last edited by kenempireex; 05-20-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may have to do more research on this, but I think this is how it works. The tow rate set by the CHP only applies if the CHP is calling for the tow. In your case, the only way CHP would be calling for a tow in an offstreet parking facility open to the public would be if the registration was expired for over six months, found a car and impounded it for evidence due to being stolen or involved in a hit and run. The price is set by the tow truck companies in a certain area in conjuction with the CHP tow officer. All the tow companies on our rotation in San Jose just got together for just such a meeting. The price they negotiated on was probably around $140 per hour (time tow gets the call to time car gets to where its going). A bigger tow truck usually costs more ($350/hour for big rig tow). Plus your are going to have a one day minimum fee for storage fee, about $35/day. If you came to pick up your car outside of business hours, there is a charge for that, too. Keep in mind, these prices are for CHP rotations in the San Jose area. S.F. can negotiate a different rate. One tow company owner I talked to said in Gilroy they get much more, so the SF rate may be right. In any event, Safeway has there own rate when they call for a tow, or it's the tow company's own set rate. Like I said, I'm not 100% certain on all this. I would have to ask the tow officer a little more on the process.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by g35 chippie
I may have to do more research on this, but I think this is how it works. The tow rate set by the CHP only applies if the CHP is calling for the tow. In your case, the only way CHP would be calling for a tow in an offstreet parking facility open to the public would be if the registration was expired for over six months, found a car and impounded it for evidence due to being stolen or involved in a hit and run. The price is set by the tow truck companies in a certain area in conjuction with the CHP tow officer. All the tow companies on our rotation in San Jose just got together for just such a meeting. The price they negotiated on was probably around $140 per hour (time tow gets the call to time car gets to where its going). A bigger tow truck usually costs more ($350/hour for big rig tow). Plus your are going to have a one day minimum fee for storage fee, about $35/day. If you came to pick up your car outside of business hours, there is a charge for that, too. Keep in mind, these prices are for CHP rotations in the San Jose area. S.F. can negotiate a different rate. One tow company owner I talked to said in Gilroy they get much more, so the SF rate may be right. In any event, Safeway has there own rate when they call for a tow, or it's the tow company's own set rate. Like I said, I'm not 100% certain on all this. I would have to ask the tow officer a little more on the process.
Thanks for your input. Yea..it's kinda pointless to talk to the Tow company more, because they will just come up with more reasons to cover their back. On the night when we paid $820, they said the manager should able to give us discount on Monday morning. But guess what, they delined everything at the end. This is just sad and it seems like even more of a rub-off. I just think its a bad business practice to charge people pointless amount of money.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:53 PM
It may seem like they are screwing people but they are feeling the crunch too. Yes I think some of them are scoundrels but consider every tow truck runs on diesel. What do tow trucks do all day? Drive. That's lots of fuel to burn everyday. Maintainence? Labor rates are $113 or so an hour. When all the tow companies in an area get together and agree on a certain rate, what are you gonna do. You are at their mercy. And calling a cheaper tow tow truck from further away means longer response time, rate is per hour, and if they are willing to drive fifty miles to come get you and drive fifty miles back, the money evens out in the end. And if you find a super cheap tow, it's probably some shady company and your car falls off the back of their truck going down the freeway. I stopped a tow truck the other day for expired registration and the driver didn't even have a license? Say what?! I had to call a tow truck to impound a tow truck! They're out there, beware.

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2008, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by g35 chippie
It may seem like they are screwing people but they are feeling the crunch too. Yes I think some of them are scoundrels but consider every tow truck runs on diesel. What do tow trucks do all day? Drive. That's lots of fuel to burn everyday. Maintainence? Labor rates are $113 or so an hour. When all the tow companies in an area get together and agree on a certain rate, what are you gonna do. You are at their mercy. And calling a cheaper tow tow truck from further away means longer response time, rate is per hour, and if they are willing to drive fifty miles to come get you and drive fifty miles back, the money evens out in the end. And if you find a super cheap tow, it's probably some shady company and your car falls off the back of their truck going down the freeway. I stopped a tow truck the other day for expired registration and the driver didn't even have a license? Say what?! I had to call a tow truck to impound a tow truck! They're out there, beware.
Haha, for some reason, your story makes me feel better and not as fustrated. From now on, I will only park in paid garage, man. I just can't afford anymore tow.

Hey g35 CHP, is the carpool volation charge really $1000+ in these days? I still see people get pull over for that daily.

And one last question, does those CHP Donation Liecense frame really work on you guys? I was at a car show last week and saw them on alot of exotic.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:32 PM
The carpool violation fine doubles evertime you get caught. Depends on the county but first time offense is somewhere about $370. I'm sure someone on this board whose has been caught could give a better dollar amount as I don't set the fine amounts. The court does.

As far as the 11-99 Foundation question.....The purpose is to raise money for the spouses and children of fallen or gravely injured officers. Not to get out of tickets. Depending on the style of license plate frame on the car (black plastic, silver, gold, etc.) is an indicator of the amount of money donted. Some people donate cause they think it will get them out of tickets. When that card is played on a traffic stop, it is possible for the officer to make a simple call to the foundation and get them quicked out. And the foundations keeps their money. It's purpose is to raise money for a good cause.

http://www.chp11-99.org/index.htm