Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

what a sh^^^y saturday morning. State Ref Ticket. ARGH! HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what a sh^^^y saturday morning. State Ref Ticket. ARGH! HELP!

Hey guys,
This is probably my worst pulled-over experience. So I was driving in San Francisco Airport looking for Virgin Atlantic to pick-up our friend at 8:30AM and all of a sudden I looked-up my rear-view mirror and I see this cop got his sirens on. I was like WTF, what the heck did I do and why in the world would an Airport police pull me over. And first thing he told me, I pulled-you over for no front license plate and modified exhaust. I was errrr.. Okay. I figured give me the ticket and I'll have it signed-off. I know people here have gone to state ref with HKS Ti exhaust and got it to pass so no big deal right?. But nope, he didn't get me off the hook that easily.

I talked to him and apparently he is a member of DragNET certified and everything and that they do stings, pull cars that are modified blah blah blah. I was like great, out of all cars out there you pull me over. He asked me to pop my hood and so I did, first thing he saw was the JWT popcharger has no carb sticker (bought it used without the sticker, that was an idiot call in my part) Then the next thing that happened surprised the crap out of me, he took out a measuring tape. He measured the height telling me that it can't be this low blah blah blah. I was telling Rachel, man we got it big.

Anyway, I received a ticket and with a quick research, I got a State Ref Ticket.
So here are the violations:
No Insurance Proof - Not Correctable
Modified Engine - Not Correctable
(I don't have a modified engine other than the intake, we didn't even talk anything in the engine other than the intake)
Modified Exhaust - Not Correctable
No Front License Plate - Correctable

So guys, has anyone received a state ref before and did you receive violations that are not correctable? What I'm worried about is that I have to pay the fines even after I visit the referee. I am completely comfortable going to the ref and I've gone to that referee before so he knows me.

From what I understand, this is not a fix-it ticket, its more serious than that. So do I have to pay fines for the Modified Engine and Modified Exhaust citations even after going to the ref? Or I'll just pay the $10?

Man this sucks. But man things we do for our beloved cars..

Thanks guys for reading and for the help.

niM

Old 07-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn that suckz it suckz living in cali with modified cars..... everybody else seems to have it good...good luck man

Old 07-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nim... Ryan recently got pulled over for his HKS exhaust. He had to go to the state ref and also had to pay a fine of $130+ if I remember correctly.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
i don't see why the intake and exhaust are "not correctable". i'm pretty sure you will just get a fix it on the exhaust after you go to the referee station if you have stock cats. not sure on the intake, but maybe provide documentation that shows the intake is CARB legal when you go to the referee.

sorry to hear though, it is definitely a hassle. best of luck to you

Old 07-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by sfgr415
Nim... Ryan recently got pulled over for his HKS exhaust. He had to go to the state ref and also had to pay a fine of $130+ if I remember correctly.
wow.. $130?? i got pulled over with my HKS and after going to the state ref, i only paid $10

Old 07-12-2008, 06:42 PM
workin...

damn that sucks man. good luck.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:31 PM
WTF???? you are in the same boat as me!!!!! Except yours is even worst!!!! This is f*king retarded. Cops have nothing to do in these days???? Pull over people in the EARLY morning?? There are tons of serious crime in Oakland daily and people over there are scared to walk on street even in the daytime. I know I am not the one to judge or anything, but this is just so sad. (I am sorry, CHippe. I just can't hold it anymore)

Old 07-12-2008, 07:46 PM
did your popcharger come with the heatshield? the carb no. is on the side of the heat shield.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:58 PM
sorry to hear what happen to you but I know that if you should up in court with the proof of insurance, it's usually a $10.00 fee just as long as it was valid on the date of the ticket.

I got one before and I brought in the proof of insurance and it was $10.00.

Also, your ticket that mark not correctable, if you got the HKS, Pat got it corrected with the info from HKS and the fee was $10.00.

Well good luck on it

Old 07-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by sfgr415
See that is some BS right there? That's what I'm actually afraid of, paying the fines because it will add up. That's 4 violations and that stupid no proof of insurance citation is BS as well. Rachel has insurance but since I was the one driving, I have to show proof that I am insured with another vehicle. ARGH!

patman530:
You only paid $10? Do you still have your ticket with you? Was the citation correctable or not?

Thanks guys for the good luck.

Keep the info coming.

niM

Old 07-12-2008, 08:49 PM
when i got a ticket a while back for no proof of insurance/expired license... all i had to do was show up w/ a current license/proof of insurance and they took that off the ticket. I cant rember if it was marked not correctable though..

Old 07-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by kenempireex
WTF???? you are in the same boat as me!!!!! Except yours is even worst!!!! This is f*king retarded. Cops have nothing to do in these days???? Pull over people in the EARLY morning?? There are tons of serious crime in Oakland daily and people over there are scared to walk on street even in the daytime. I know I am not the one to judge or anything, but this is just so sad. (I am sorry, CHippe. I just can't hold it anymore)
I'm not sure if you realize this or not, but within many police departments, there are traffic units. Their job is solely to write tickets and take crashes. They don't handle 911 calls other than to respond to accidents. They target specific street in an area known to have speeding problems or running red lights and the such. The BAR, CARB, and OTS have test data that shows certain modifications contribute to air pollution, hence the reason for underhood inspections. If you've ever complained about air quality, then you can understand. It may seem small and insignificant that your intake may contribute, but multiply it out by the number of cars. If you've ever complained about air quality in CA then you can understand. I do have my own personal opinion as to what you should be able to do to your car. You can thank the hippies for this law. Welcome to liberal CA where we don't give a sh*t about homeless or unborn babies, but would rather concentrate on some stupid moth that feeds on some stupid weed that only grows in one area in the entire universe.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by nimdivino
patman530:
You only paid $10? Do you still have your ticket with you? Was the citation correctable or not?

niM

I don't have the ticket with me. I sent it in when I paid for it along with my sticker showing sign off from the state ref.

It was correctable. I was pulled over for "loud exhaust". They asked me to pop my hood as well, but did not say anything about my intake (pop charger w/ CARB sticker).

Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Hello guys,
Thank you so much for all the info.

I just read the FAQ of the HKS exhaust and it seems that they have the needed documentations to waive off so that's great. Then I can just contact JWT and maybe they can send me the sticker. (I bought the pop charger used and I didn't realize that the sticker was removed). We also have the current insurance card and I have a ghetto kit to put on the license plate.

So this ticket is really not a big deal, I knew from the very beginning that 1 of these days this car will get a ticket with the mods, but geeesh I wasn't expecting a state-ref ticket that makes the car illegal to drive in public roads right then and there. I guess I'm just happy that he let me go and not impound the car which was surely his intention when he pulled-us over. Sometimes acting dumb and kissing *** works. haha.

Rachel is so dissapointed. She spent the time washing and waxing the car for this weekend and now its just parked in the garage. =(

Thanks again guys..

Keep the infos coming if there's more. I'll keep you guys updated. I hope I only pay $10 each citations and not $130 for exhaust, $100 for intake, etc etc etc.

niM

Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by patman530
I don't have the ticket with me. I sent it in when I paid for it along with my sticker showing sign off from the state ref.

It was correctable. I was pulled over for "loud exhaust". They asked me to pop my hood as well, but did not say anything about my intake (pop charger w/ CARB sticker).
Thanks man for the info. I wonder what will happen if I just send $10 along with the sign-off from the state ref. hehe.

niM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what a sh^^^y saturday morning. State Ref Ticket. ARGH! HELP!