Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Wake up call to all California HKS exhaust owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
California FTL

Old 07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone know the CA law? HKS said EO number is not required for anything after the CATS.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:33 PM
anyone know the CA law? G35 Chippie??? HKS said EO number is not required for anything after the CATS by Law. I need reference to that.

And apparently, they think a car should have 4 cats for OEM setup? Is that even possible? they probably misinterputing one set of the OEM parts? what is it? I really want to rib these on their faces

Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
ughgghghhghgh, im done.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by kenempireex
Long story short, i got pull over for HKS exhaust. Now i need a EO# (Executive Order Number) to clear out for smog. I have been calling all over the places and no one seems to know it. The legal info on the HKS website only talks about the noise level, NOT EMISSION doc. Can anyone help me out on the search? All I need is a Legal document or EO# to state that HKS Ti is legal in CA for Emission.
i am a smog check technician, and i can tell you that you the average citizen in the state of california can do whatever the hell you want with your exhaust from the catalytic converter back. we dont care. chop it off right behind the cat. dont matter. BUT, it is against the california vehicle code to do that because without a muffler your car will be too loud. anything over 90db is illegal in this state. and there is no way to verify that so it comes down to the judgement of the officer issuing the citatation.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kenempireex
anyone know the CA law? G35 Chippie??? HKS said EO number is not required for anything after the CATS by Law. I need reference to that.

And apparently, they think a car should have 4 cats for OEM setup? Is that even possible? they probably misinterputing one set of the OEM parts? what is it? I really want to rib these on their faces
G35 Chippie is there to issue citations not how to fix them. Do u realise that or not. He has never gotten a citation like that to know the solution.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bring it to a private place?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by g35ctuner
i am a smog check technician, and i can tell you that you the average citizen in the state of california can do whatever the hell you want with your exhaust from the catalytic converter back. we dont care. chop it off right behind the cat. dont matter. BUT, it is against the california vehicle code to do that because without a muffler your car will be too loud. anything over 90db is illegal in this state. and there is no way to verify that so it comes down to the judgement of the officer issuing the citatation.
Really? Friend of mine got a ticket for loud exhaust when he had his Civic hatchback. Apparently they metered him or something. I don't know the complete truth to it, but he wanted to use my Term Lab (SPL meter) to see if he was under 90 dB. I thought it was quite funny since the TL measure sound pressure level, not loudness.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:53 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
hey, guy's there are 4 cats... each of what we consider one are actually 2. that's why it come's up as 4 on the scan. tell them to take a better look next time.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Evil Bastard
are they sure they don't mean 2 O2 sensors?

i don't know what else to say, other than have them call infiniti usa.

it's so lovely to deal with the fine, intelligent, and knowledgeable group we call "civil servants". This excludes some LEO/FD/etc.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 PM
****defected****

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
if you still have the oem exhaust take it with you...then lay it out next to your car and ask them where the extra 2 cats should be.

or show them this....

Old 07-15-2008, 11:06 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Old 07-16-2008, 01:09 AM
so...they confuse Cats with cat. converter?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
That thread link above is dead on my end, but sounds like state ref is confusing the HKS resonators for Cats which is short term for cat. converters.

They need to look further up the exhaust and see the oem cats and compare to the oem cat/exhaust system in that diagram to where your HKS bolts up to. (cat-back exhaust = no cats on that aftermarket exhaust system) I know you know that, but that moron with 15yrs experience obviously doesn't.
Looks like Infiniti calls the oem single resonator a center muffler.
Looks like Infiniti also calls their cats 'three way catalyst' per each cat (LH bank/RH bank). Haha so that means 6 total, three on each side before the HKS

Four things you could do:
- go back and show them that oem exhaust dia and discuss
- go to a different state ref station - (what I would do b/c they're Effin with you) You know which one
- take it court b/c they're wrong in what they're requiring from you and there is no such EO# doc for that on any cat-back exhausts
- put stock exhaust back on and be done with it, but won't get HKS certified legal db sticker

Maybe DMV might have some kind of doc showing cat-back aftermarket exhausts don't require EO#s.

G/L

Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kenempireex, please keep us updated and let us know how you resolve the issue. Most of us do have the HKS exhaust. Thanks in advance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wake up call to all California HKS exhaust owner