Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Wake up call to all California HKS exhaust owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks SD. Yea, go for the link

Long story short, I called the Supervisor and continued the argument. I back myself up with infiniti, CHP, engineer, thought i would actually win this time. Honwever, he pull out code 27156VC, which kinda states that all exhaust mod is illegal. His point of argment is that my exhaust is not OEM config. and not passing me. In other word, he's not passing any mod. exhaust system unless you have EO#.

I think my fight will end here. This is getting pointless, and i do not have sufficient law knowledge to back me up more. And obvious the supervisor doesn't have enough techical knowledge. If none of the State referee pass me, i will just swap the exhaust, doing that seems easier than arguing with an old fool.

Last edited by kenempireex; 07-16-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Ken your killing me man....

Old 07-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ciabatta Burger
Ken your killing me man....
haha, don't worry, man. I know where to go tomorrow. Hey, i will run down to your workplace afterwork.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Aight ill be here

Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 PM
That CVC section does not apply to your exhaust.
27156. (a) No person shall operate or leave standing upon ( )1 a highway ( )2 a motor vehicle that is a gross polluter, as defined in Section 39032.5 of the Health and Safety Code.

(b) No person shall operate or leave standing upon ( )1 a highway ( )2 a motor vehicle that is required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device under Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code or any other certified motor vehicle pollution control device required by any other state law or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant to that law, or required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device pursuant to the National Emission Standards Act (42 U.S.C. ( )3 7521 to 7550, inclusive) and the standards and regulations adopted pursuant to that federal act, unless the motor vehicle is equipped with the required motor vehicle pollution control device ( )4 that is correctly installed and in operating condition. No person shall disconnect, modify, or alter any such required device.

(c) No person shall install, sell, offer for sale, or advertise any device, apparatus, or mechanism intended for use with, or as a part of, ( )1 a required motor vehicle pollution control device or system ( )4 that alters or modifies the original design or performance of ( )5 the motor vehicle pollution control device or system.
He is pulling that from his backside because he thinks you are missing your cats. He needs to go back to exhaust school because I think he missed the "Identify the cat in this picture" day. As long as the cats were not removed, the exhaust bolted up after the cats (which remain attached) then you are not in violation of the code and he is just wrong and you would win in court. Try a different ref because this guy sounds like a total F-tard. Good luck, and don't give in to these ******, people give up and then they keep doing it to others.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call your local area district office and ask for clarification. I will try to call some of the instructors tomorrow and see if I can find some documentation stating cat-backs don't need EO#. It's probably buried in the Health and Safety Code somewhere. I do have a few contact numbers for people at BAR. I will try to call them or swing by the local office on Winchester. Heck, I always have to go to alarm calls at that building anyhow. Or try calling someone reputable like Gale Banks. He could probably tell you everything you want to know.

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...ldoffices.html

Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 PM
^^^what a cool guy. =)

Old 07-16-2008, 11:21 PM
****defected****

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
so does this mean that because i don't have an oem exhaust for my 69 bug i am breaking the law?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 PM
g35 chippie, I appreicate your efffort on helping another G35 buddy(s). This guy is the region manager, so it's very hard to bring him down, unless if i get someone who's bigger than him on my side. I called the CA referee # this afternoon again, the supervisor over there is nice, but seems like she's buy on his decision. "He's the referee, so he knows the law more than the CHP."

I asked her if it's true that anything after the cat. is legal as long as it's the right noise level. She said that's the incorrect info. So...yea...i don't know what to say anymore.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 PM
No matter how many people i have asked, it will not change anything unless I have someone BIG on my side with hard evidence. The manager is not going to let this go, because he may cost his job.

who is Gale Banks? How to contact him?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:10 AM
why not just got to alameda.... why turn this into an epic battle?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
Man... I hope everything works out for you. Keep us all posted.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Why not try the BAR hotline to get answers about of all things "aftermarket parts". At least that is what is says on the BAR website. (800) 242-4450 It is for the Air resources board but I would bet they know a thing or two. Then you may hit up the BAR HQ at 800-952-5210 and complain like crazy about this lunatic and his one man crusade to keep all cars totally stock. They just might listen to you and back you up on this. Worth a shot. ANd if that does not get you anywhere, then I would try and get a hold of Sherry Mehl who heads the BAR and the ref program. I still call BS on the whole thing and think you are totally within the vehicle code requirements.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:04 PM
We won the battle!!!!

Finally, we won!!!

Battle time: 5 days, ~10 phone calls, 3 arguments
Gathering: Enough research to pwned them
Achievement: HKS CAT-back exhaust system is offically announced LEGAL in this County from this point on. From the point of State Referee.
Appreication: To ALL G35 members who involved in this topic and help on research, especially to G35 CHIPPIE, SDGenius, suicidesam, and you, Ryan. Thank you. We finally did it, it feels GOOD!!!
Story

I was on my way to Alameda Referee, hoping they will pass my G. Fremont referee called me and said they have investigate the issue and should able to pass my car.

He said, "We went through alot of doc. and research, your car with this particular VIN# is legal to pass the test with your mod. exhaust. "

I said, "you mean all G35 coupe with this type of mod. setup?"

He said, "NO, only yours."

I said, "All G have the same set up on the exhaust system, why only my particpate Vin #?"

He said, "We called Infiniti, and we have done research, only vehicle with particular vin# will allow to have this set up legally."

I was like..WTF, but i didn't complain much, because I was afraid he become a **** again.

I went to them, they did the test all over again. Passed everything.

I asked, "There are tons of other G will be come as well, how do we know whose car will pass and whose car will not?"

He said, "You need to get an stock exhaust diagram from Infiniti Offical base on your particular VIN number. From that point, we will judge to see if your car will pass or not."

He continued, "The reason we do this, because we have information that some of the G may have the 4 cat. converter setup."

I was like...WTF, going to back to 4 cats. agument again. He showed me a diagram of a setup with 4 cat. converters. (I didn't really read it, not sure where he got that from.)

He again continued, "Even if stock cat. converters are there, there still a chance of not passing due to other mods. Your back-pressure and flow rate changes and emission will change."

At that point, i don't even care anymore. I played nice, got my paperwork and left.

Last edited by kenempireex; 07-17-2008 at 02:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wake up call to all California HKS exhaust owner