Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Bay Area Shop for both Tires/Wheels and Brakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bay Area Shop for both Tires/Wheels and Brakes?

Hey all,

New to the forum but have spent some time lurking / reading. I have an 05 G35 Coupe which I took in for maintenance this past weekend to the Peninsula Infiniti dealer.

I knew I needed new tires, but turns out I'm gonna need to replace my brake pads as well (35k miles). The dealer quoted me a fairly hefty sum ($1100) just for the brakes, so I figured I'd do some research first.

While thinking about it, given I need new tires anyways, I thought I'd look into getting new tires, rims and brakes all in one go. I'm somewhat of a noob when it comes to after-market parts (have always had it stock, other than window tints and no front license plate) - does anyone know of a good reputable shop in the bay area (willing to drive some distance if needed) that can take care of ordering/installing new rims, tires and brakes? Not looking for overly high-end stuff, but just a place that's reliable, doesn't over-charge and can take care of ordering/installing everything for me? I realize I will pay a bit more for having the shop do all of this for me, but given my lack of knowledge, I'm willing to make that trade-off for convenience.

A friend told me about some 350z/G35 dedicated shop somewhere in the peninsula/south bay (he can't remember the name, something like zTuner?), and I've also heard about TNT from various posts here in the forum. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys - appreciate any help

Old 03-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
do the brakes yourself it takes like an hour if you dont know what your doing....
contact bythebay he works on g35's here in the bay and he did everything possible on my car (maintence wise) and dosent charge an arm and a leg...
as for rims it all depends an what rims your going for? i got mine from maxspeed in hayward and they took car of all the things i needed and they had the rims that i wanted in stock in their warehouse and ordered the tires so i had the rims and tires on in a day

Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks nazc0 - I am admittedly a noob when it comes to doing anything car-related (don't even do oil changes myself), and so I'd rather just have the shop do my brakes. I'm also thinking, as I'm going to buy new rims, I would like to get matching brake calipers as well as re-doing the pads, so would like to do it all in one-go if possible.

As for rims, I'm thinking of moving up to 19s (have the stock 17s on my g35 now). Thinking of getting black rims, want them to look clean and not too "loud". Maybe a simple 5 or 7 spoke look. Not looking for anything high-end, but good mid-range, clean-looking rims. Any suggestions would be great on this front as well, but trying to find a shop that can do all of these for me first.

Will reach out to bythebay, thanks.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 PM
go to my profile and check out my rims they are stern st-7's and the rims cost me 400$ the main thing is tires for 19's are expensive as hell so i got some used ones on the back since ill be burning through them fairly fast.
where are you located in the bay? if your close to sf i could help you out with installing the pads

Last edited by nazc0; 03-22-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:43 PM
nazc0 - those stern st-7s look pretty sweet, nice looking ride! did you get them from somewhere in the bay area? thanks for the heads up on 19" tires being expensive. I don't drive my car particularly hard, so not looking for high-performance tires or anything, so hopefully I will be able to find something reasonably priced.

I live in SF (Pac Heights area) - thanks for the offer to help out, much appreciated. as I get further in the process, hopefully I find a shop that will do these at a fair price, especially as I will be throwing a fair amount of biz their way. any suggestions for good, mid-range brakes? I think the older g35s had brembo on them, which I heard is fairly high-end? if that's the case, maybe I leave the brakes alone (just change pads) and get them powdered black to match the rims...

Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM
i would advise to just get the pads for now
i have duralast cmax pads on
my car atm and they are great
the sterns i got from a shop in hayward
find out a time you want to change the brake pads and we can do it in np time at all, it took me less then an hour for all fours and the pads cost like 100 for all four wheels
hit me up when you want to change them im free moast of the time

Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If your looking for parts and a good place to do the installs trying calling Mach III and there located in SF too ask for kris

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Thanks nazc0 and Epidel for the info. So the dealer gave me some more info on the brakes - they want to replace the brake pads and the rotors for both the front and rear, plus flushing the hydraulic brake fluid, for about $1100 all-in. Does this seem a bit pricy to you? Let's assume I get it done at a shop (versus dealer, and not myself), sounds like pads are fairly cheap/easy to do, but not sure about the rotors?

Also, as Infiniti uses the standard Nissan OEM parts, assuming I just get these done at the dealership, is it easy for me to get matching calipers at a shop when I get new tires/rims?

Thanks all.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:50 PM
since its the rotors as well you should contact bythebay he can probably do it all cheaper then that and you might aswell upgrade to crossdrilled and slotted rotors from him aswell.
as for rims ya go with machIII if you want the best setup but it will probably cost you more then what i spent on my rims, i spent 1000 on rims along with tires.