Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Favorite places to eat in the Bay Area.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite places to eat in the Bay Area.

Hey guys and gals just curious what some of your favorite spots to eat in the bay area are.

For me it's Kobe Sake in San Bruno go there every wednesday for lunch with my friends. It's a small location the chef's are awesome, the food is a lil pricey but the quality of the fish is amazing. They are 2010 nominee for best of the bay if you want to check it out

http://bestofthebaytv.com/view/1071/Kobe-Sake

Some of my other favorites are The Steelhead Brewery in Burlingame

Barbra's Fish Trap in Half Moon Bay (the drive alone on hwy 1 from the city is worth it)

University Chicken in San Jose AKA CluckU

I am also on the hunt for a great Italian resturant if you guys have any suggestions let me know. I also heard of some amazing pizza place in the east bay I can't remember the name I wanna say Porky's??? Also wondering if you guys can suggest a great steak house ad BBQ place Armadillo *****'s isn't bad its located in Foster City which is a area I avoid due to the cops being A holes and considering my tint and lack of front license plate... I do not feel the need to risk a ticket to get some ribs hehe.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:49 AM
As far as the pizza place goes, are you thinking Zachary's?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Boun Gusto in SSF is always a good choice for Italian. Joes of Westlake is a classic with some great Italian food too.

Pizza ia always subjective as there are many different styles. I like Rainbow Pizza in San Mateo but its pretty messy but really good. I also like Pizza CHicago for my deep dish cravings.

There are not too many good BBQ places in the area. Armadillo ****** is ok but I would not put them that high on my list. Each BBQ place has their specialty so its really rare to go into one place and have the best ribs, brisket, pulled pork, etc. Memphis Minnies on Castro has some really good pulled pork. Gorillas BBQ in Pacifica has some good brisket and ribs. Im always on the hunt for good BBQ.

What about Mexican? YOu live in SSF and did not mention Mexican food. YOu must live up in Westborough side or just dont like Mexican food hahah

Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 PM
No it wasn't Zachary's it was a uncommon name...

I totally forgot about mexican food and yes I am on the westborough side haha. There's El Faro which isnt bad once in a while. Also theres a spot across from city toyota which makes a great burrito. Rainbow Pizza is on my list to try hear its like Zorba's (Greek Pizza) but better. Also Gorilla's too every time I go there the line is out the door got to hit it at a off time.

I forgot to mention Cable Car Joe's for burgers and Ike's place for sandwhiches

Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Please dont tell me you think El Farto is good Mexican food. There are many better places near Grand that have 'real' burritos, not slop in a tortilla.

Cable Car Joes does have one of the best burgers around. I get the double half pounder add cheese, bacon, grilled onion and egg. Thats heaven right there.

Ikes is great for sandwhiches. Also good is Little Lucca and Bonne Sante in Burlingame. Gotta love the garlic spreads these places have.

I grew up in SSF so I know most of the places that are good. A few good hidden gems.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Oakland restaurants I love

All I can say is yum! Expensive- cool date place
http://www.picanrestaurant.com/

The best rabbit! Expensive- cool date place
http://www.oliveto.com/

Mexican like you've never had it. Killer drinks, even better food
http://donatomas.com/

Cheap Mexican- across the street from Rockridge BART
http://www.cactustaqueria.com/

Small bites Italian style -Extensive wine list, foose (sp) ball in the corner
http://www.yelp.com/biz/adesso-oakland

Super small Turkish and California. The owner waits on you. Not super fancy, but great food.
http://www.zatisrestaurant.com/index.html

Caribbean food! Not fancy, good quiet date place.
http://tropixrestaurant.com/

Old 06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
I know of a few places off of grand that are better than El Faro La Tapatia used to be really good I don't know about now been years since I have been there. Theres a spot a block away from grand next to a gas station thats really good. I am horrible with names I can't remember its right next door to another mexican resturant has 2 levels.

Did you ever have the pleasure of going to Roma's in San Bruno off san mateo ave when it was the original owners? Best ever sandwhich I have ever had. Little Lucca's is a big sandwhich for the price but it can get messy easily.

I grew up in SSF/SB area

Old 06-09-2010, 01:20 PM
In SSF, the good burritos are at La Morena, Los Metates and El Farolito. La Tapatia used to be my favorite but they have gone downhill. They still have the best carnitas, rice and beans though. We used to go there for breakfast and get some carnitas, beans and a pack of small tortillas and make our own tacos.

Romas was good when the other owners had it. I think an asian couple bought it and they got really cheap with their stuff. Messy is good sometimes when it comes to sandwich. Another good sandwhich spot is Darby Dans in SSF. THey have a huge sandwich called the sleeper and piccolo. You get one of these and you will be really satisfied.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Oh Darby Dan's I have been there before its good.

Grace thanks for the list the Calypso Shrimp from Tropix Restuant sounds soooooo good I will have to hit up oakland soon.

In San Francisco off of Valencia theres a great breakfast spot called Boogaloo's its really good and artsy.

I am so looking foward to my Kobe Sake lunch now I am starving with all this talk of great food.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Tommy's joint - SF (american)
Ikes - SF (sandwichs)
bi rite creamery - SF (Ice cream)
Turtle tower - SF (noodles)
House of prime rib - SF (american)
Pho Ao Sen - Oakland (viet)
Be le' - Oakland best spot for viet sandwichs! (viet)
Kai's - alameda (japanese)
Happy Valley - Oakland (Dim-sum chinese)
Saint anna's cafe - Oakland (Chinese)
Hoagy Steak - San leandro (Cheesesteak)
La Piñata - San leandro (mexican)
Prince Dim Sum House - San leandro (Dim-sum)
Amato's Cheesesteaks - San jose (cheesteak)

Few spots i get my grub on around the bay

Old 06-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Norcal650
Oh Darby Dan's I have been there before its good.

Grace thanks for the list the Calypso Shrimp from Tropix Restuant sounds soooooo good I will have to hit up oakland soon.

In San Francisco off of Valencia theres a great breakfast spot called Boogaloo's its really good and artsy.

I am so looking foward to my Kobe Sake lunch now I am starving with all this talk of great food.
I always get the gumbo or jambalaya. Yum! It's a hole in the wall across the street from Kaiser.
It's super busy during the day with employees on break. At night it can be very quiet.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Powderface, at Fruitvale BART - fresh beignets, piled high with powdered sugar.
Flying Fish Grill, Half Moon Bay - crunchy fish tacos.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
in sf on geary and 17th i think there buffalo burgers, i used to go there every day for lunch from school and that place is great, then theres the cheesestakeshop on divisadero st and that place is one of the best places i have ever been to http://www.cheesesteakshop.com/
but my new favorite place it the mongolian bbq in the serramone mall

Old 06-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I am about to head to Little Lucca's in SSF : ) yummy

Old 06-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I can haz potato?

Received 1,016 Likes on 791 Posts
sabertooth tiger
Bullshead restaurant in West Portal (SF; buffalo meat burgers)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Favorite places to eat in the Bay Area.