Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

FREE Dynos from Scott Performance in Santa Clara

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boris, I am headed up to the Ferrari Carano Winery in a few secs. If no on else has posted about yesterday, I'll do it later. I was not totally pleased with the service there.

Old 11-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, after the DM concert and drinks afterwards, it wasn't easy getting up on Saturday for my 10 am appointment. It was good to meet Andy and Tony. It nice to finally put faces to names. I haven't had a chance to upload my results, but will try to get it up by tomorrow afternoon.

Old 11-20-2005, 10:11 PM
i want pictures.

Old 11-20-2005, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
I wasn't too pleased with my dyno sheet. I thought that the dyno data would reflect rwhp. However, it report hp at the crank for 2 runs in 5th gear. There was a third line indicating what the owner of Scott Performance said was an average of all the G's, which he has dyno'ed.

I was the second person to have their car on the Dastek dyno. When some of the guys asked for rwhp data, we were told that it would put a strain on our cars . . . Whatever. I don't quite understand the difference between the different dyno units and as such, what each is designed to do. One person was told that he should have a minimum of 35k miles on his car prior to performing a dyno yielding rwhp.

In any event, as soon as I have an opportunity, I will shoot down to the Z Car Garage and have my G dyno'ed again . . . Prioir to installing my new exhaust.

I was there from the first car till nearly the last car. It made for a long day, but I had a great time chatting with everyone . . . And I did appreciate the free BHP dyno.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Modded Member
Thanks for the update Andy- looks like I didn't miss out on anything!

I also want to get my car dyno'd, but I will hold off until next month when all of my engine mods are done.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
andy, i'm pretty disappointed as well. they didn't measure RWHP - just crank HP - on a dastek dyno, which isn't an industry standard dyno. on top of that, they did a pull on my 5AT from 4K rpm - which is a bit too high for a shift point (they could've gone from 3.5K) to 6K (i have TS ECU, and they could've pulled to 7K!!!). as it is, at 6K rpm i'm making 275hp at the crank - i was expecting higher numbers. i've stuck my numbers into an excel spreadsheet and played with them a bit. i should be making about 290 at rev limit! or 240 at the wheels. i don't believe those numbers - i want RWHP. i'm having a UNICHIP installed at Z Car Garage in mid-december, and having the car tuned by them on their in-house dynojet. on the flip-side, my A/F ratio is dead-on - starting at ~14, and tapering off at red line at 12.5. perfect for N/A engine.

i went by Z Car Garage after the dyno day, and they were there, working on the dyno room. dyno *room*!!! a whole room, with 3 large sound-proof windows, 9000 CFM fan in the ceiling and 2 x 4000 CFM fans at the engine. it looks awesome. Rob said they'll have a huge plasma TV displaying the results of the dyno for the on-lookers. i can't wait!

Rob will also put sleeves on my Hotchkis sways, change my spark plugs (i'm nearing 60k miles), and i'll also ask him to take a look at my crawford cats - they've been buzzing on cold more than usual lately.

oh, and btw, Rob is matching Scott Perfomance price on the UNICHIP, and said that they too are an authorized UNICHIP reseller, even though they're not listed on UNICHIP's web site. when asked why he's not plugging it to their customers - he said that they've been so busy lately, he's stopped advertising! can you imagine?! i totally believe it, too - their lot was JAM PACKED with cars. including their blue R34 GT-R Skyline.

anyways, i'll keep you guys posted.

Old 11-21-2005, 03:25 AM
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
Thanks for the update Andy- looks like I didn't miss out on anything!

I also want to get my car dyno'd, but I will hold off until next month when all of my engine mods are done.
Boris, you might want to do it before-hand - to have a baseline dyno.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
Igor, thanks for the update about Z Car Garage and Rob. I'll give him a shout very soon.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by codeflux
Boris, you might want to do it before-hand - to have a baseline dyno.
I've already got a few mods, so I don't know if it is worth capturing a baseline.

Are you going to have the Unichip installed over your TS flash, or is there some way to make them work in conjunction with one another?

What kind of gains/tuning can be expected from the Unichip, and how much $$$?

Old 11-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Time for me to chime in. I was there at Scott's from like 10:30 or something, and stayed until a bit past 2. It was great to meet all the other G owners. Although like I was whining, everytime I meet up with you guys, I end up getting ideas for new mods. Igor said it right: "He's going to be broke!"

Boris: The dyno was retarded. They wouldnt give me my RWHP. He just told me I was at the correct A/F ratio and I was putting out about 280 at the crank, perfect for a stock car. I looked at the LED numbers the dyno was putting out, and it said 225-230 on that, so I'm guess that's what I'm putting to the wheel. It's all speculation, but still.. If I'm putting down 225 - 230 for a stock car then I'm happy. Actually I think I gained 5 hp from my clear corners, and will gain another 5 after adding those overlays for the clear corners (*ahem* thanks Igor :P)

I did walk away with a z-tube though. Andy was funny. "What are you still doing here? Go already!"

Old 11-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Boris, yes, you can run UNICHIP with TS reflash - i only have L-spec reflash, which means i still have stock timing and A/F maps. L-spec (light spec) gives you higher rev limit (7100), no speed limit (woohoo), and 100% open throttle at WOT (is opposed to ~90% open) - more air in. Rob said $850 for UNICHIP, and $125 for dyno turning. i expect ~15whp increase, with gains all around.

myst, boy you *is* gonna be broke, yo! shoot a PM to DannoG35 - he'll hoook you up with overlays. here's his gallery:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/DannoG35/

good luck!

Old 11-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Modded Member
Originally Posted by codeflux
Boris, yes, you can run UNICHIP with TS reflash - i only have L-spec reflash, which means i still have stock timing and A/F maps. L-spec (light spec) gives you higher rev limit (7100), no speed limit (woohoo), and 100% open throttle at WOT (is opposed to ~90% open) - more air in. Rob said $850 for UNICHIP, and $125 for dyno turning. i expect ~15whp increase, with gains all around.
The TS flash is done directly to your ECU, while UNICHIP is a piggyback, right? I am assuming that had the UNICHIP been available before, you would never have wasted your time with TS.

When are you having this done? I want to come by and watch and [if the gains are there] get one too. You will be my test mule.

EDIT: Just found this when searching on my350z:

Originally Posted by g356gear (my350z.com)
Seriously consider both a reflash and a piggyback. The reflash will equalize the 2 default timing maps to avoid the unpredictable ecu map switching under various loads, and the piggyback can be used for the fine tuning of the fuel. Other than a HKS fcon V-pro or Motec standalone, I think this is the safest strategy.

Last edited by vodkarocket; 11-21-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
The TS flash is done directly to your ECU, while UNICHIP is a piggyback, right? I am assuming that had the UNICHIP been available before, you would never have wasted your time with TS.
you guess correctly. i've had only headaches with TS - they flashed my ECU in person, when i was in L.A., and when i came back to S.F., the car was pinging like crazy. i ended up having to ship the ECU back to them to return to stock timing and A/F maps. i'll stick with L-spec reflash for now, and may have TS reflash the ECU to fully stock later.

When are you having this done? I want to come by and watch and [if the gains are there] get one too. You will be my test mule.
Mooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!.............

planning on mid-december, depending on weather. i'll pick a friday, since i'm off on fridays, and go down to ZCG for a day, chill, watch, take pics. Rob said he can have a UNICHIP unit in the shop within a few days after I give him notice.

EDIT: Just found this when searching on my350z:
that is very interesting. i didn't know there were two maps. well, i guess at this point we'll see what the tuning will do. i'll most likely be changing my spark plugs to Denso Iridium (stock heat) - see my thread here:

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-forced-induction/75723-n-spark-plugs-denso-hgk.html

those plugs claim to gain up to 5% because of their interesting design. between UNICHIP and the plugs, i'll be damned if i don't get 250 to the wheels.

Last edited by codeflux; 11-21-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:43 PM
oh, by the way, the ScottPerformance dude (Ted?) said that in about a month or so they'll have a stroker kit for our cars. very tentative numbers that were being thrown around:

- 4 liter - FOUR LITER!!!
- 100hp per liter = 400hp!!! - in N/A cars.
- $6000 installed

i wanna see this. i really wanna see this.

/edit when i told this to Rob, he was very sceptical that a stroker kit can be had for $6000 installed.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Oo

If that stroker kit is for reals, I think a lot of people will be in on the deal. 6000 for more power than a Stillen S/C and still staying N/A is a bargain.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FREE Dynos from Scott Performance in Santa Clara