NorthWest Serving AK, ID, OR, WA

Removed Governor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pavelpg
nah i dont like tracks, not too exciting, i freeway race sometimes and used to drag it on the streets during the nights and all that.

do the 6MT coupes have rev limiters? so you can't potentially blow your engine from over-rev?
I'm pretty sure the 6mt has a rev limiter.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes it does have a rev limiter... I think its around 7k maybe a little higher for the 03 coupe... it just bounces off

Old 06-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badtziscool
Yeah. I guess I assumed you were going to try a topspeed run. But your comment of "let's just all do what we want to do as long as we know the consequences" is a very ignorant one, and that's what got me. I know what the consequences of pointing a gun at your head and pulling the trigger are. It means your death and my conviction and serving a life term sentance and possible death penalty with no parole. Does that mean I should still do it? Of course not.

So... I apologize for accusing you of doing something or intending to do something dangerous, but you really should watch what you say.

To your orginal question, I think the governor is embedded in the ecu. You'd have to get it reprogrammed to eliminate the governor.
Yeah, we all make assumptions, it's cool. But on a serious note, and one that will make you happier , where would i take my car if i wanted to do a top speed run around here? or maybe a skid pad as well? Only place i know is Pacific Raceways and as far as I know they only got the drag strip and the road course.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure but I think there's a racetrack in Portland, they might have it? Otherwise I dunno man... There's also a drag strip in Spokane I don't know if you would be able to do a topspeed run there or not...

Old 06-27-2006, 08:21 PM
i wonder if places with a drag strip (pac raceways) will just let you do a top speed run... ?

Old 06-27-2006, 08:24 PM
Portland International Raceway (PIR) has track days but you usually have to sign up with a club and do a little preparation. I believe they also have import nights but not sure. In the Seattle area you might try Google and look for local sports car clubs (SCCA affiliated and such). They would generally have knowledge of where you can go crazy legally and with minimum risk to other's life and limb. Good luck.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by vstrizheus
I'm not sure but I think there's a racetrack in Portland, they might have it? Otherwise I dunno man... There's also a drag strip in Spokane I don't know if you would be able to do a topspeed run there or not...
Like GeeMan said, PIR has track days with driving schools and car clubs, but in a stock G the top attainable speed is around 115mph on the road course if the chicane is in use, and maybe a bit over 130 without the chicane. No chance of topping it out, though. Many Friday and Saturday nights from March to October at PIR you can run the 1/4 mile in the NHRA Late Night Drags, but dragstrips aren't nearly long enough for a top speed run -- you either need an oval, a road course with a loooong straightaway, or a runway somewhere.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silver g
I'm pretty sure the 6mt has a rev limiter.
Both autos and manuals have rev limiters. They come on at redline. For the all of the G35 models (excpet the 298HP 'rev up' which has a ~7000 RPM redline) the redline is 6600 RPMs. If you floor the gas, when your tach needle hits 6600 RPMs you will hear your engine die, rev up again, die, rev up again, etc. very rapidly. This is commonly referred to as "bouncing off the rev limiter." It's the ECU telling the injectors to stop squirting gas to prevent over-rev and possible damage to the engine. There's plenty of debate as to whether or not fuel starvation is worse than a slight over rev, but you can do a search on that if you really want to know about it. Most people do not want to raise their rev limiter unless there is some extenuating circumstance that prompts it. Ie with most FI applications, the engine will accelerate fast enough (on an 5AT) that in D mode it will always hit the rev limiter at WOT, preventing the auto from ever shifting. This is bad for two reasons: you will never get past first gear in D, and it could damage the engine by the sudden loss of gas (and consequent rapid lowering of the F/A ratio). . .a bad thing. Huh. . .I guess that's enough about rev limiters?

Now regarding the "governor." There is some satisfaction in knowing that your car has no limits (other than power and aerodynamic drag). My top speed limiter was removed with the whole TS ECU reflash, which I only did for the rev-limiter raising and more aggressive fuel maps. The other was just a side benefit. So don't ream Pavel too much. Just because you have it doesn't mean you are going to use it. Although it would be fun to top end it sometime. . .always keep in mind that the highways are not well kept, smooth, race tracks. One pothole @ 100+ will surely ruin your day (possibly life!)

Anyways, nuff of my rambles.

Drew

Old 06-28-2006, 05:24 PM
^ thanks for all the info man! much appreciated

Old 06-28-2006, 09:01 PM
Off topic but are you Russian Pavel? What do you do? (sorry jsut wondering LOL)

Old 06-29-2006, 12:35 AM
yes, and i am a student at UW

Old 06-29-2006, 01:24 AM
wow this aint 2 hard....05 g coupe 6mt goes to 7200 rpms.....top speed is either 147 or 150....whether u hit it on the street or on the track....thats all ur gunna go....

the only way to get rid of it is to have the computer reprogrammed or get a new ecu...

u need a lot of room 2 do it....but i think the car is too slow to do it....ya need some forced induction....

good luck on THE TRACK...lol...