Picture Share Pics of your or others' rides!

So I got a little carbon fiber happy with my interior...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
-You paint your OEM part black (to prevent any color from showing through)
-You cover the part with a thin layer of 2 part epoxy resin
-For simple parts such as a door pull or side mirror, you simply lay the carbon fiber fabric over the part (For more complex shapes you would need to vacuum bag the parts.)
-Apply more resin with a brush to throughly cover the part (I suggest using a small roller to help eliminate gaps between part and fiber)
-Let it set 2-4 hours (depends how much hardner you used in the resin)
-Lightly sand it to remove ridges/bubbles
-Apply more resin
-lightly sand to remove ridges/bubbles
-Add gel coat (just a special compounded resin)
-Allow to harden for 24 hrs
-Use a grinder/dremel to trim the edges
-Sand with increasing grits up to 3000
-Use a polishing compound (I like mezerna super intensive) and polish to a gloss

Old 10-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
everybody in this thread knows its not real "carbon fiber" the OP makes it crystal clear in his FIRST post.

Originally Posted by Slick 6MT
I bought a bunch of 3M's Di-Noc Carbon Fiber Vinyl and I went to town on my interior.
I have read thru this entire thread, and i never got the impression that the OT had any bad intentions of presenting something it is not.

i am not sure why are you still on going about this?

Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Buddie noone is trying to play it off as carbon fiber. They are simply stating that is the pattern of what it is used. You cant tell someone just because it isnt carbon fiber doesnt mean it doesnt look just like it. Idk what your issue is but your really up in arms. Did the OP strike a cord with your old g35. Theres no need for the comments like yours you are just trolling. Its the perception of a weave pattern. Get off of it.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by dcityjatt
everybody in this thread knows its not real "carbon fiber" the OP makes it crystal clear in his FIRST post.

I have read thru this entire thread, and i never got the impression that the OT had any bad intentions of presenting something it is not.

i am not sure why are you still on going about this?
Actaully Project did think it was real carbon fiber, as do many many people new the car modding world.

Originally Posted by Project
The overlay is still a carbon fiber weave so his title isnt misleading at all.
I know the OP is intelligent enough to know it is not real, then why call it carbon fiber when you know it is not? You would not tell people you installed tile in your house if it is just vinyl laminate.

The OP took my initial statement personal, which it was never ment to be. I did not say it looked bad in anyway, simply stated he should not say he went "carbon fiber crazy" when he infact never used carbon fiber. What if he said he went paint crazy, but installed colored vinyl instead? What if he said he went leather crazy and covered it with pleathor? What if he said he went wood crazy and covered it in fake wood plastic?

Would you tell someone you got a new diamond watch if it was really cubic zirconia ??

Last edited by WhosUrBuddiee; 10-14-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
^ Wait, so all your interior carbon fiber pieces are just wrapped? Isn't the whole point of carbon fiber to reduce weight? All you did was add more mass to it....

Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it looks great, and the whole fact of the matter is, he wasn't trying to pass it off as CF. You need to get off your high horse "Whosurbuddiee" and stop acting like a douche, plain and simple. He was going for the LOOK of CF, please tell me how your "real" CF interior pieces serve as any function different compared to his, oh yeah, they DON'T. You are a real class act man. GTFO the forums troll.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Yeah, I thought the whole part was made of a solid piece of carbon. I did see a very cool video of some dude wrapping a mirror housing and then using a clear seal. It looked really good when he was done. It looked like a solid piece of carbon when he was done.. that shiny, deep carbon look.. BOING!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:55 PM

I think it looks fkn great. I just wish there was some kind of a clear coat to make it shiny and deep.

(yankees suck)

Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
^ Wait, so all your interior carbon fiber pieces are just wrapped? Isn't the whole point of carbon fiber to reduce weight? All you did was add more mass to it....

You would be correct in your asumption. Yes the 1.5 sq ft of authentic carbon fiber in my interior has added approximatly 1-2 lbs of extra weight to my 3600 lb car.

It is a common misconception that carbon fiber reduces weight. Actually wet laid carbon fiber is usually just as heavy as the item it replaces or even weighs more. Such as the hood for the G35. Some carbon fiber hoods for a G35 actually weighs more than the stock aluminum hood.

Preimpregnated dry carbon fiber is what is used to repace body panels to achieve weight savings. But it also comes at a significant increased cost over wet laid carbon fiber.

A second common use for carbon fiber is pure aesthetics. Many people simply desire the look that carbon fiber provides. Such as a carbon fiber engine cover. If someone truely wanted to save weight, they just wouldnt use a engine cover at all.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by 17NickG35
I think it looks great, and the whole fact of the matter is, he wasn't trying to pass it off as CF. You need to get off your high horse "Whosurbuddiee" and stop acting like a douche, plain and simple. He was going for the LOOK of CF, please tell me how your "real" CF interior pieces serve as any function different compared to his, oh yeah, they DON'T. You are a real class act man. GTFO the forums troll.
Really? You are a 17 year old boy driving mommy's Yukon with 80 posts. I was modifing G35s before you even hit puberty kid.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
looking good bro!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by atoor1990
looking good bro!
Thanks! I just got my hair cut at Fantastic Sams.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Interesting read of this thread.....

G37mobbin has his whole interior with real "CF" as well. Looks great. I got tired of the crap silver painted interior trim pieces, thus I had them wrapped. It looks alot better and I get many compliments. THere are always those that have no idea the cf wrap is not real. I had one guy ask me if they had to cut my roof to install it. Gave me a chuckle.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 PM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't read through every post here, but be warned:

Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Feel free to debate the merits of a product or someone's point, but everyone here is old enough to understand the difference between debating a point and making a personal attack against someone.

It's been a while since I permabanned someone for being a dickweed, and my trigger finger is starting to twitch....this is everyone's first and only warning.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Who cares. He likes it and apparently a lot of people including me do as well. Childish banter FTL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So I got a little carbon fiber happy with my interior...