Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Jim Wolf Clutch/Flywheel!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by g35_6gear
I loved my JWT clutch/flywhel in my 04 6mt sedan. Engagement was close to stock and it held up great. The only issue was the loudness of the car at idle with the clutch depressed and the car in neutral.....sounds like a cement mixer. I guess it was a decent sacrifice for a lighter flywheel instead of the stock heavy dual mass unit.
Engagement close to stock? Hmmm that's not so great. I was hoping it cut its high engagement by half.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g35_6gear
I loved my JWT clutch/flywhel in my 04 6mt sedan. Engagement was close to stock and it held up great. The only issue was the loudness of the car at idle with the clutch depressed and the car in neutral.....sounds like a cement mixer. I guess it was a decent sacrifice for a lighter flywheel instead of the stock heavy dual mass unit.
This is ultimately why I ended up going with the Exedy clutch/flywheel combo. I was very close to getting the JWT clutch/flywheel but then I spoke to a couple of shops and vendors that told me that you don't get that excessive noise with the Exedy clutch/flywheel. It's a little bit more expensive but oh well. Not to take anything away from the JWT. It's still an awesome clutch but my Vortech SC and exhaust is already loud enough. I don't need to add more noise.

Old 10-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
put a couple thousand miles on and i couldnt be any happier!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chobble19
put a couple thousand miles on and i couldnt be any happier!

how is the noise with the radio off and the air on, idleing at a red light?

Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM
from inside the car its not that bad but if ur outside next to it its def noticeable. the a/c is what makes it chatter away. with it off it is comparable to stock chatter...

Old 12-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GOT IT IN TODAY FINALLY!!
Ive driven with it on only 10 miles so far. My clutch pedal throw is shorter and the engagement is right at the bottom. I almost stalled out a couple times in first but i am getting used to holding the pedal down a bit more. I
You almost stalled because a new lighter flywheel takes more rpms to get the car moving, its the tradeoff of a lightened flywheel.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:19 PM
^ how so? Less inertia of motion to transfer to and move a stationary object?

Like throwing a penny at a window rather than a quarter...

Old 01-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had the JWT clutch and flywheel in for a few months now. Bottom line is I love it, it frees up wasted torque for a faster car with more available accelerative power. There is chatter at idle with clutch out in neutral but I find it acceptable. The clutch is trickier to engage smoothly due to it's lesser mass, but you get used to it. Engagement point is high, like stock. Even with big tires I can chirp 4th gear at 80mph.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
so what did yall pay?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:33 AM
paid about 745 on my350z!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Sagemark
I've had the JWT clutch and flywheel in for a few months now. Bottom line is I love it, it frees up wasted torque for a faster car with more available accelerative power. There is chatter at idle with clutch out in neutral but I find it acceptable. The clutch is trickier to engage smoothly due to it's lesser mass, but you get used to it. Engagement point is high, like stock. Even with big tires I can chirp 4th gear at 80mph.
chirp into 4th?? wow i have the JWT clutch.flywheel and mods, and i can only chirp unitil 3rd. and on the highway i down it into 3rd i can chrip the tires mean.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fast04G
chirp into 4th?? wow i have the JWT clutch.flywheel and mods, and i can only chirp unitil 3rd. and on the highway i down it into 3rd i can chrip the tires mean.
A friend of mine has managed to chirp to 4rth with my car with the stock clutch.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Thumbs down

man whatta fvcking horrible day im having! besides that i got some more shytty a$$ news regarding my jim wolf clutch and flywheel. i have been nothing but happy with my jwt setup until last sunday....i started to notice my pedal feeling a little crunchy and out of no where i pretty much lost all pressure on my pedal. i could barely shift into or out of gear because of this. i was stuck on the sie of a road in pooring rain so i decided to try and make it to my house not too far away. i made it to my neigborhood a few min later and noticed my clutch pedal fluid was about empty! went to the store and filled it with a little synthetic fluid and it immediately leaked out from underneath. i had the g towed to my dealer iocc (where i had the kit installed by Bill) and he found out the slave cylinder had cracked. after replacing that under warranty (my 3rd one by the way) Bill realized there was a problem with the clutch. He lifted the car and looked through the peep hole under the tranny to see this:

i'd like to point out that as i was in the garage trying to get things sorted out my friggin service guy has the nerve to come ask me for the keys to my loaner! WTF i almost flipped! anyway as u can see in the photo the throw out bearing somehow "failed" and is stuck against the pressure plate causing it to mess up my clutch. i spoke with jim wolf and he's never heard of this happening b4 Bill assured me the bearing was installed correctly and said jim wolf should cover this since they include this bearing with their kit. he also said the bearing used is a koyo bearing made for nissan but is different than the actual OEM koyo bearing the stock setup uses. To make a longer story shorter i need a new pressure plate, clutch, and throw out. What i dont get is how my clutch could be bad from this? B4 it happened it was driving perfectly and i smelt no burning clutch during this process at all. Maybe the pressure plate fins damaged it i dont know as of yet. i am waiting to call jim wolf again today in cali to see what he can do for me considering they dont cover their parts under warranty for long =/ i thought that having this all installed at my dealer would have prevented this from happening but apparently not!

If anyone has any info pertaining to this i would appreciate it.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch, sorry to hear about your misfortune. This is the first time I have heard about this type of incident with the JWT clutch. Hope you get it resolved soon and you don't have to shell out more $$$

Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man whatta fvcking horrible day im having! besides that i got some more shytty a$$ news regarding my jim wolf clutch and flywheel. i have been nothing but happy with my jwt setup until last sunday....i started to notice my pedal feeling a little crunchy and out of no where i pretty much lost all pressure on my pedal. i could barely shift into or out of gear because of this. i was stuck on the sie of a road in pooring rain so i decided to try and make it to my house not too far away. i made it to my neigborhood a few min later and noticed my clutch pedal fluid was about empty! went to the store and filled it with a little synthetic fluid and it immediately leaked out from underneath. i had the g towed to my dealer iocc (where i had the kit installed by Bill) and he found out the slave cylinder had cracked. after replacing that under warranty (my 3rd one by the way) Bill realized there was a problem with the clutch. He lifted the car and looked through the peep hole under the tranny to see this:

i'd like to point out that as i was in the garage trying to get things sorted out my friggin service guy has the nerve to come ask me for the keys to my loaner! WTF i almost flipped! anyway as u can see in the photo the throw out bearing somehow "failed" and is stuck against the pressure plate causing it to mess up my clutch. i spoke with jim wolf and he's never heard of this happening b4 Bill assured me the bearing was installed correctly and said jim wolf should cover this since they include this bearing with their kit. he also said the bearing used is a koyo bearing made for nissan but is different than the actual OEM koyo bearing the stock setup uses. To make a longer story shorter i need a new pressure plate, clutch, and throw out. What i dont get is how my clutch could be bad from this? B4 it happened it was driving perfectly and i smelt no burning clutch during this process at all. Maybe the pressure plate fins damaged it i dont know as of yet. i am waiting to call jim wolf again today in cali to see what he can do for me considering they dont cover their parts under warranty for long =/ i thought that having this all installed at my dealer would have prevented this from happening but apparently not!

If anyone has any info pertaining to this i would appreciate it.

Wow that sucks dude.. I don't see how the clutch could be bad since it did not actually get worn or else you would have smelt the burning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jim Wolf Clutch/Flywheel!